mtbr member
    May 2005

Logging--Merli-Sarnosky Park (Fell Mt.)

Lackawanna county in Pa. is planning on logging approx 80 acres of merli-sarnosky park (Fell mt.). Approx 5 miles of singletrack will be impacted. please visit and read the online petition. if you agree, please sign. http://www.petitiononline.com/100041/petition.html

Turner Homer
    I just signed it even though I never rode there, because I fell that no mountain bikers stomping grounds should be in risk of being taken away.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That petition is incorrect, that is not how selective logging is done now. It is done with low impact machines, they leave the branches on the ground to help reduce soil errosion that used to be caused by machines. The newer feller bunchers, forwarders, and harvesters can walk through a forest and not do too much damage. Yea they may have to move some branches off the trails but I doubt they will lose the trails all together. Once the area has been planted or cleared for them to ride in the area again they may even be able to build more trail due to the fact it will be more open.
    Pat T.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat T.
    That petition is incorrect, that is not how selective logging is done now. It is done with low impact machines, they leave the branches on the ground to help reduce soil errosion that used to be caused by machines. The newer feller bunchers, forwarders, and harvesters can walk through a forest and not do too much damage. Yea they may have to move some branches off the trails but I doubt they will lose the trails all together. Once the area has been planted or cleared for them to ride in the area again they may even be able to build more trail due to the fact it will be more open.
    The petition was obviously not written by someone familiar with how to word a petition. But you are right. Rubber tired skidders and feller bunchers are nicer to the soils than bike tires, or even lug soled hiking boots, but I know that is heresy to mention that here.

Done right, the harvesting could make the area even better for riding. But there are always a few ignorati that refuse to admit forest management, including harvesting, will improve the forest ecosystem, forest health, and enhance recreational opportunities.