Rider, Builder, Dreamer

Livin' the Dream: one killer year on the bike.

...and it's not even done yet. It started off with getting the best bike I've ever owned: a Specialized Stumpy expert evo....26. With the lousy New York spring I barely rode the thing till May, by which time I was working at the local bike shop here in Oneonta, Otsego Bicycles.

After finishing up with the spring semester I started working full time at the shop and riding more. I rode in the test event for the Eastern States Cup Enduro Series. If you're on the East Coast you'd best heck them out next year. They put on a killer series of DH, super-D and Enduro races. I ended up doing two races each of enduro, super-d, and cross country as well as a downhill race and a road race. All of them were a total blast and I even did well in a couple.

In addition to riding and working at the shop I had a summer project of finishing a new xc trail in town dubbed Black Coffee. As the most technical trail in town this soon same local riders doing repeats on it just to try to clean the entire thing. This is just another step in the huge progression in riding that has taken place here over the past five years; it has been really awesome to be a part of and watch.

Just a few weeks ago I had the great pleasure to work with Brice Shirbach of fattorefests.com and Tim Stevens and cree of Highball Society productions to shoot for a four-part web series titled "From Where We Stand," which will showcase east coast riding spots and the people behind them. Look for links in the next couple months; you'll see he east coast like you've never seen it before.

Now that the season is ending I am looking west. The lady got into grad school at JFK University in Berkeley, CA and I'm chasing her out there. After a fall involving my first ever road race, a professional video shoot, my two highest rides to date (53 miles on rail trail and last week's 43-mile, 5300' of climbing Oneonta Epic), my first road race and this coming Sunday's First Oneonta 8-Pak Enduro that I'm putting on, I think a change of scenery is in order for awhile. I'll be road tripping out to Cali in a few weeks. Itinerary:

Day 1: leave the family farm in WNY at 7 am. drive 4 hours to Ray's Indoor Mounrain Bike Park in Cleveland, OH. rise for a few hours, then drive 4 hours to Ft. Thomas,KY. Crash at friend's place.

Day 2: Quick morning ride near Ft Thomas KY. Drive all day to St. Louis, MO. Stay overnight.

Day 3: Drive through corn stubble all the way to Manhattan, KS. Crash on a friend's floor.

Day 4: Drive to grandma's ranch in Hudson, CO. Spend the night.

Day 5: Friends and family in Denver. Valmont Bike Park if weather permits. Night out in the town in boulder with friends.

Day 6: Drive to Albuquerque, NM. Ride in the foothills. Eat burritos and green chili with the brother and raid his homebrew fridge.

Day 7: Drive to Flagstaff, AZ. Quick ride if light permits.

Day 8: Ride Flagstaff. Drive 4 hours to meet a buddy in Boulder City, NV.

Day 9: Ride Boulder City. Drive into SOCAL.

Day 10: Meet the lady in SOCAL. Drive Route 1 up the coast. End trip in Berkeley.

If anyone has suggestions to ride any of the aforementioned places I'm a ears. Would love to get out with people wherever possible so as not to waste time not knowing where to go. Recommendations on cheap places to stay near St. Louis and Flagstaff would also be appreciated. Gonna be on budget so I'd like to avoid hotels when possible.

Probably leaving NY on either the 16h or 17th of November

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Livin' the Dream: one killer year on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    ...and it's not even done yet. It started off with getting the best bike I've ever owned: a Specialized Stumpy expert evo....26. With the lousy New York spring I barely rode the thing till May, by which time I was working at the local bike shop here in Oneonta, Otsego Bicycles.

After finishing up with the spring semester I started working full time at the shop and riding more. I rode in the test event for the Eastern States Cup Enduro Series. If you're on the East Coast you'd best heck them out next year. They put on a killer series of DH, super-D and Enduro races. I ended up doing two races each of enduro, super-d, and cross country as well as a downhill race and a road race. All of them were a total blast and I even did well in a couple.

In addition to riding and working at the shop I had a summer project of finishing a new xc trail in town dubbed Black Coffee. As the most technical trail in town this soon same local riders doing repeats on it just to try to clean the entire thing. This is just another step in the huge progression in riding that has taken place here over the past five years; it has been really awesome to be a part of and watch.

Just a few weeks ago I had the great pleasure to work with Brice Shirbach of fattorefests.com and Tim Stevens and cree of Highball Society productions to shoot for a four-part web series titled "From Where We Stand," which will showcase east coast riding spots and the people behind them. Look for links in the next couple months; you'll see he east coast like you've never seen it before.

Now that the season is ending I am looking west. The lady got into grad school at JFK University in Berkeley, CA and I'm chasing her out there. After a fall involving my first ever road race, a professional video shoot, my two highest rides to date (53 miles on rail trail and last week's 43-mile, 5300' of climbing Oneonta Epic), my first road race and this coming Sunday's First Oneonta 8-Pak Enduro that I'm putting on, I think a change of scenery is in order for awhile. I'll be road tripping out to Cali in a few weeks. Itinerary:

Day 1: leave the family farm in WNY at 7 am. drive 4 hours to Ray's Indoor Mounrain Bike Park in Cleveland, OH. rise for a few hours, then drive 4 hours to Ft. Thomas,KY. Crash at friend's place.

Day 2: Quick morning ride near Ft Thomas KY. Drive all day to St. Louis, MO. Stay overnight.

Day 3: Drive through corn stubble all the way to Manhattan, KS. Crash on a friend's floor.

Day 4: Drive to grandma's ranch in Hudson, CO. Spend the night.

Day 5: Friends and family in Denver. Valmont Bike Park if weather permits. Night out in the town in boulder with friends.

Day 6: Drive to Albuquerque, NM. Ride in the foothills. Eat burritos and green chili with the brother and raid his homebrew fridge.

Day 9: Ride Boulder City. Drive into SOCAL.

Day 10: Meet the lady in SOCAL. Drive Route 1 up the coast. End trip in Berkeley.

If anyone has suggestions to ride any of the aforementioned places I'm a ears. Would love to get out with people wherever possible so as not to waste time not knowing where to go. Recommendations on cheap places to stay near St. Louis and Flagstaff would also be appreciated. Gonna be on budget so I'd like to avoid hotels when possible.

Probably leaving NY on either the 16h or 17th of November

I live along your route. Let me suggest three trails along the way (which appears to be I-70) in order from east-to-west.

1. Landahl Park, Blue Springs, MO
    2. Swope Park, Kansas City, MO
    3. Switchgrass, Wilson, KS

All three are top-notch trail systems right along I-70 and are on par with anything you'll find elsewhere. Check out Earthriders Mountain Bike Club (in KC). Leave a message on their website and someone would be happy to show you around.

You could do Landahl or Swope (Swope is better IMO) between STL and Manhattan and Switchgrass between Manhattan and CO. I like to stop at Switchgrass on trips to CO from KC. Breaks the trip up nicely.

And I'd recommend trails in the Denver area but I'm not sure what would be ridable in mid-November there.
    Last edited by breed007; 10-28-2013 at 04:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Day 3: Drive through corn stubble all the way to Manhattan, KS. Crash on a friend's floor

You definitely need to ride Swope Park and/or Landahl in the Kansas City, MO area. Riding these trails will influence your stereotypes.

Switchgrass near Wilson, KS is an IMBA epic. 'Nuff said?

Have fun,
    Terry

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Check out the San Juan Trail in Socal...Santa Cruz in Norcal for sure!

mtbr member

Flagstaff might not be rideable in a few weeks due to snow...or it may be 80 and sunny. As a backup...or maybe should be the real plan...check out Sedona, about half an hour south of Flag. Riding is a little different, but scenery is unbeatable...it's kept me here for a decade now...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i guess you are already on your way, but there are some good trails in ithaca, ny as well ( i went to grad school there).

there are a few trails in berkeley, but check out the norcal forum for the best sf bay area rides.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    If Flagstaff is looking dire, the High Desert Trail system in Gallup is worthy. It's 5 min off I40. In Flag, all of the hotels at the Butler and Milton/I17 exhanges are pricey but if you drive into town there are cheaper options.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    If anyone has suggestions
    Yes. Eat here:
    Zachary's Chicago Pizza San Francisco area Oakland, Berkeley, San Ramon, Pleasant Hill

Also here:
    The Cheese Board Collective
    definite malingerer

Fishing/ Biking
    Sounds like a great road trip with some epic stops for rides! I live in Boulder City and you will love hitting Bootleg, great fun no matter how you want to ride.
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Don't get misled by "giant ball of string", exit.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Had to sell the bike before making the move, so I didn't get to ride as much as I would have liked. Still, I did get to rent a TallBoy LT in Boulder and ride in Valmont Bike Park for an afternoon. Valmont is a killer park and is something that every city should have. I saw little kids on scoot-bikes, hardcore CX racers, casual trail riders, crazy dirtjump/bmx/slopestyle guys and everything in between and all were having a blast.

Meant to ride the following morning up in the hills but it was snowing. Would have loved to ride in the snow but I had a 7 hour drive ahead of me so I thought it best to get driving before conditions went down the tube.

The next day (Friday morning) I was supposed to ride in ABQ with my brother who lives there. Those plans got wrecked by 50mph winds, so I got driving out toward Kingman, AZ. Called a shop in Gallup, NM who told me that they were flooded out. Tried another shop in Flagstaff, AZ who told me something similar. Bummer. Accepted defeat and got a hotel in Kingman.

Friday night my buddy up in Boulder City, NV called and informed me I would be cruising up his way in the morning since he had just snagged a Transition Bandit from his buddy for me to use. We were to ride at 9AM Saturday at Bootleg Canyon. It was an 85-minute drive to get there so I left Kingman at 7:10. I got to the Bootleg Trailhead and checked my phone.....7:45AM. Great. Forgot about time zones. Grabbed a coffee and waited for my friend and a couple other locals to show up. When we got rolling at 9:00 it was 37 degrees, windy, raining, snowing, and hailing. In the desert. In southwest Nevada. Perfect. Fortunately being from the Northeast such weather conditions are just another day at the office, so we had a stellar time for 2 hours. We rode some of the more accessible trails and finished by cruising down Girl Scout to the trailhead. As a trail builder I got just as much enjoyment out of noticing the awesome work put into those trails as I did actually riding them. It was definitely a killer way to break up the drive before the last couple days of driving in California.

Today I spent most of the day wandering around San Francisco and Berkeley checking out the huge variety of bike shops in the area. Can't wait to get on the bike again, even if it's just a commuter to cruise around on.