mtbr member

Little Devil's first ride of '06 (bandwith killer)

Today was supposed to be a boring day, my christmas part time at the lbs is done, wife out and all I was going to do was enjoy a relaxing day with Pepe until Jay called.

He asked me if I was available for a ride because he was free for the day, I asked Pepe and he said YESSSSSS. Now the question was to where, Pepe wanted to go to the same trail we rode to end the year because he liked it a lot and so we did.

Here are some pics (in no order) of Pepe's first ride of the year.

He tried to clear a dip and here's the result

He laugh and stood up like a champ, no harm no foul.

Jay

Moi

Pepe, me and maybe Jay will be participating on a road race on Sunday, stay tuned for another proud dad passion hit.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 01-04-2006 at 03:32 PM.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Nice shots DD!
    Happy New Year to the Devil family.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Very cool, kudos to a good dad, and even to dad's friends, for taking the kid out for a ride; love his facial expression going over the log (did he make that okay?).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

avg. joe

What a way to spend the day.

Nothing beats riding with your own kiddos.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Very cool, kudos to a good dad, and even to dad's friends, for taking the kid out for a ride; love his facial expression going over the log (did he make that okay?).
    He made it, not the right way but cleared it. That was his first attempt ever at a log so with practice and patience he'll learn.

Jay is the only ridding buddy that I have that doesn't mind when Pepe tags along, on the contrary he enjoys it just like I do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    Nice shots DD!
    Happy New Year to the Devil family.
    Happy New Year to you and your favmily too, hope to see pics of the little Rocker in action soon.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    He made it, not the right way but cleared it. That was his first attempt ever at a log so with practice and patience he'll learn.

Jay is the only ridding buddy that I have that doesn't mind when Pepe tags along, on the contrary he enjoys it just like I do.
    Cool stuff! How old is he? Very cool that he is running clipless at such a young age!

Does he wear the full face during races? His choice or yours? Just curious

Wish my dad got me into mountain biking at that age!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Cool stuff! How old is he? Very cool that he is running clipless at such a young age!

Does he wear the full face during races? His choice or yours? Just curious

Wish my dad got me into mountain biking at that age!
    He's 9, started with clipless around 7. What he does is when riding a section that he's not comfortable with he unclips.

The full face was just for this ride, he wanted to try the downhill section of the trail and I suggested bringing both helmets to the ride, he switched helmets later on. The first pic of me you can see the other hemet attached to my camelback.

He's my favorite riding partner and since recovering from a broken leg he's riding harder and longer. To my surprise we did 2 laps of the trail, he was wasted but stoked about the ride.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Cool stuff!

Are there alot of children at the local races? I know here (sydney, Australia), Kids racing is actually quite big, with a big turn-out of lots of kids, with one or two little rippers (around the same age as yours, running clipless and such).

Theres a boy around here, who at the age of 9 laped my dad during an endurance race, that was enough to stop my dad from racing ever again, you better watch out, in the next few years he will be teaching you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Cool stuff!

Are there alot of children at the local races? I know here (sydney, Australia), Kids racing is actually quite big, with a big turn-out of lots of kids, with one or two little rippers (around the same age as yours, running clipless and such).

Theres a boy around here, who at the age of 9 laped my dad during an endurance race, that was enough to stop my dad from racing ever again, you better watch out, in the next few years he will be teaching you
    Not really, depends on the age group. We race them from training wheels thru 10 y/o on a XC course made specially for them, from 11 on they race on the normal course. Some classes like the 5-6 and 7-8 are sometimes packed but isn't usual.

I remember a race I raced on the beginner class that 11 year olds were ahead of adult beginners, some of those kids are fast and fearless.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 01-05-2006 at 05:14 AM.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Happy New Year to you and your favmily too, hope to see pics of the little Rocker in action soon.
    Shhhhhh, he's sleeping
    Big hoopy.

swag ho Administrator
    I like all the support you and your group provide the little one. I would call that an A+++ environment.

fc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    I like all the support you and your group provide the little one. I would call that an A+++ environment.

fc
    Thanks, just trying to share my passion with my son and friends.

I think he's getting there. While I part timed at a shop during christmas he tagged along and helped with sales and wrenching, he had a blast and learned a lot.

mtbr member

Mofongo power

The amazing thing was that Pepe was bouncing off the walls after the ride. We had lunch of Mofongo. A local concotion, heavy on the starch and seafood. Dirt and I were close to passing out on the drive back, but Pepe was like the enegizer bunny.
    Jay

Bike to the Bone...
    Nice report and nice photos.... kids are great (although I don't have one), and I bet spending time with your kid doing something you like is awesome!

Look out!
    Thanks, just trying to share my passion with my son and friends.

I think he's getting there. While I part timed at a shop during christmas he tagged along and helped with sales and wrenching, he had a blast and learned a lot.
    Good Job, I started my son on mountain bikes when he was 8. We took him to some serious xc trails. Some days were better than others, i.e. "I hate this waaaaaaaa", but he persevered. Last summer he won the Knobby Tire Series Championship for Jr. Beginner Boys 15-16. Made dad awful proud. It is a wonderful feeling watching them grow up to really enjoy getting out on the bike.

Mark
    Ride the bike.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    Shhhhhh, he's sleeping
    OK, he woke up and we hit the trail!
    He keeps getting stronger, it's hard to believe he's been on the Specialized for almost a year!
    1) Rolling up the end of a climb
    2) Crossing a bridge he helped put in during '05
    3) Riding on a bunch of roots - which lead to a bunch of rocks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Big hoopy.

Currently in Exile
    Good to see the little guy out hittin the trails. Also nice to hear that he got right back at it after the biff. It is a little different for me with my daughter when she biffs. We usually have to stop for a bit to let her collect herself.

It's also great to have an adult freind that doesn't mind riding with the kid. I think that it helps the child feel more like one of the gang. Here is a photo of Kari riding our local trail with my freind Todd following. I think that he gets almost of much of a kick out of riding with her as I do.

"There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
    It's also great to have an adult freind that doesn't mind riding with the kid. I think that it helps the child feel more like one of the gang. Here is a photo of Kari riding our local trail with my freind Todd following. I think that he gets almost of much of a kick out of riding with her as I do.
    You betcha, Jay is my neighbour and we always ride together so when Pepe tags along he usually leads and we follow unless is a new to him trail and I lead and Pepe follows me and then Jay. we change the point often to allow the other some lead time and enjoyment.

When I take him along to the shop that I part time in he's treated like an adult and even the mechanic lets him help him.

He doesn't know but one of this is coming his way.

Hope he likes it.

I am lost, I'm no guide

Nice!

My daughter has been riding for about a year and a 1/2. I can honestly say that a 2 mile ride to the harbor w/ her is better than an all day epic on the sweetest singletrack Santa Cruz has to offer. These were taken last monday, as she's still getting used to the hand brakes and gears on the pig Santa left for her. We thought we'd check out the waves. Great times...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

mtbr member

Road Race Report

Today we ventured to our first and hopefully not last roadie event.

It was the 30th annual To├▒o Kok├* race in a town called Ponce (south of the island), our road racing experience was 0 and all we wanted was to see what it was like and hopefully Pepe will have a good result.

My daughter was in charge of the camera and we hoped that she will take some action pics, she didn't took any. Just this 2 poser pics.

He raced on the 9-11 y/o class and I signed up on the beginer class (open). He would do 1 lap (3kms) and I had to do 5, not long but most of the distance was going uphill and we were not really trained for the task at hand.

I started first and after the second lap of the beginer class the 9-11 were released. I catched him on my second lap and decided to ride with him encouraging him and getting lapped in the process. He did the climb, passed a rider and passed another one on a sprint to the finish. I finished dead last but I'm still happy with our effort and will try it again some time.