Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

List of Greatest Sports Streaks - I'm pissed

708 views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Pat T. 
#1 ·
Last night on Fox's Best Sports Channel or some show, was a countdown of the top 10 best sports streaks by individual atheletes.

I was lucky in that I got to watch all 10 counting down. I knew Lance would be in there somewhere, and as they ticked down 10, 9, 8 , 7, etc I grew more and more excited, knowing he was going to be at the top.....football players, hockey players, baseball players, etc, filled most of the positions.

Then it was the top 3, wow, this will be great...

Then it was the top 2, wow, this must mean he's number 1 on the list!!

Then the top spot: another baseball player. Damn, the top 3-4 spots where baseball players.

MFER I said, Lance isn't even on the list...pissed me right on off....

#5 ·
Ricky Carmichael?

LBguy said:
It's on Fox, what do you expect?
ROFL

Did they have Ricky Carmichael on the list? To me, he should be up there with Lance. Anything can happen biking (dirt/road). One mechanical or crash could have ended Carmichael's streak...or Lance's for that matter.

#8 ·
ncj01 said:
Last night on Fox's Best Sports Channel or some show, was a countdown of the top 10 best sports streaks by individual atheletes.

I was lucky in that I got to watch all 10 counting down. I knew Lance would be in there somewhere, and as they ticked down 10, 9, 8 , 7, etc I grew more and more excited, knowing he was going to be at the top.....football players, hockey players, baseball players, etc, filled most of the positions.

Then it was the top 3, wow, this will be great...

Then it was the top 2, wow, this must mean he's number 1 on the list!!

Then the top spot: another baseball player. Damn, the top 3-4 spots where baseball players.

MFER I said, Lance isn't even on the list...pissed me right on off....
JMHO - But this streak isn't 100% the work of an individual athlete. While winning six tours in a row is phenominal, he wouldn't have stood a chance of doing that without the support of the rest of the guys in the USPS team. Miguel Indurain's five straight tours was a phenominal achievement as well, with Banesto, on technology not as advanced as Lance's.

#9 ·
gedmunds said:
JMHO - But this streak isn't 100% the work of an individual athlete. While winning six tours in a row is phenominal, he wouldn't have stood a chance of doing that without the support of the rest of the guys in the USPS team. Miguel Indurain's five straight tours was a phenominal achievement as well, with Banesto, on technology not as advanced as Lance's.
Last time i checked Football, Hockey, Baseball, ect... are all TEAM sports. The top 10 that they listed, I'm sure, could not do it without the help of the rest of their team.

#10 ·
Let's not kid ourselves here. This is generated to appeal to the masses, the same group of people who are contributing to your ratings. Therefore you need to acknowledge or emphasize the sports which are most popular amongst these mindless masses. Lance has become a household name, sure. But if you did some market research amongst the masses, would Lance even come close to the top 10 - screw it, top 50 athletes at the top-of-mind? Not bloodly likely.

Lance's streak is certainly noteworthy. Almost as impressive is something like Michael Schumacher's 5 Formula One consecutive world driving championships with Ferrari from 2000 to 2004. He categorically outclasses, outgunned and outlucked the competition. But will Schumacher - like Lance - get any mention on such a list? Like f*ck.

I think we merely need to manage expectations here on what these lists are and who they're for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.