mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Like Seeing a UFO

Experienced my first sighting of mountain unicycle dudes. I gotta tell ya, I thought riding a mountain bike was difficult. We got nothing on these guys. I didnt stop to talk or look real close (trying not to crash). But, looked like they were on 29" rims, shock, disc brake...knee pads. Truly amazing.

No Stranger to danger....
    Ive just got one question to ask, WHY? I mean really.......if i saw a few dudes rollin through the bush on unicycles i would wet my pants n cry with laughter on the ground, i know it would take a hell of a lot of skill, but really............WHY i ask? we have now entered the twilight zone in the world of biking...
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

keeptrollintrollintrollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    Ive just got one question to ask, WHY? I mean really.......if i saw a few dudes rollin through the bush on unicycles i would wet my pants n cry with laughter on the ground, i know it would take a hell of a lot of skill, but really............WHY i ask? we have now entered the twilight zone in the world of biking...
    Probably for the same reason you ride your two wheeler... its fun and gets you away from the BS for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by codyh12345 View Post
    Probably for the same reason you ride your two wheeler... its fun and gets you away from the BS for a while.
    fair enough, i cant argue with that mate, cheers

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by codyh12345 View Post
    Tis true.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If you have never - - there are some clips on U tube. I didn't crack up laughing because they were good. But still..... disc brakes, levers in hand, 29uni.

mtbr member
    My old LBS (which relocated a few years ago) had an employee that was a mt uni. I'd run into him from time to time on the trails. There was something surreal about it. The trails he would ride are more rock strewn and technical than what some prefer on two wheels. It was pretty incredible to see.

I passed a gang of them while riding Cuyuna a couple months ago. I'm talking like 10 guys in a row. I felt like i had been eye raped for a minute.

Natural Born Killer
    All I can say is, if you really want to challenge yourself and get a completely different kind of workout, then get yourself a cheap unicycle and learn to ride it. You'll get a whole new set of comments from the civilian population too. Yes, I have drank the kool-aid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    I respect their ability, but put me in the "why?" camp. Don't really care what other people do, and I'm glad they're having fun, but no thanks!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Quote Originally Posted by nemhed View Post
    All I can say is, if you really want to challenge yourself and get a completely different kind of workout, then get yourself a cheap unicycle and learn to ride it. You'll get a whole new set of comments from the civilian population too. Yes, I have drank the kool-aid.
    I do agree it would be an amazing challenge but apart from that it defies all logic but i admit these dudes are more skillful than me, all the power to them

Team Fearless Descender
    We see this guy, and his riding crew often (SoCal): UniGeezer

Pretty amazing if you ask me. A different kind of riding, the way "Red Bull" stuff I've gone to see in Utah in past years, isn't really "riding" to me, its more like falling off a cliff attached to a bike!

Anyway the Mtn Uni stuff, the stuff I've seen, is more like trials riding to me, which is pretty cool.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    I respect their ability, but put me in the "why?" camp. Don't really care what other people do, and I'm glad they're having fun, but no thanks!
    I ride mtn bikes and unicycles. Riding a unicycle on trails is great for the a lot of the same reasons that some people like to ride rigid single speeds; it's a different experience with its own challenges and rewards.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    I ride mtn bikes and unicycles. Riding a unicycle on trails is great for the a lot of the same reasons that some people like to ride rigid single speeds; it's a different experience with its own challenges and rewards.
    Another uni rider here, David sums it up well.
    Just learning to ride on the bike path is a challenge, I do very little trail riding though because it is so hard.
    OTOH, when a little snow packs down on the trails, I do like to bring out my muni, much easier than trying to handle rocks.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    People that ride mountain unicycles are bad
    ass, and take it to a whole new level. I have a
    hard enough time doing a lot of things on 2
    wheels. Props to the one wheelers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Our club has a 6-hour fund raiser ride the Saturday following Thanksgiving (Cranksgiving). Last year the unicycle football league from San Marcos, TX played some demo quarters. Pretty amazing. They don't flip a coin at the beginning to see who has first possession of the ball; they joust.

Here are the rules:

The Unicycle Football League is the first organization in the world (that we know of, anyways) where American football is played completely on unicycles. The rules are constantly evolving as ridership and skill level increases.

A basic breakdown of gameplay is as follows:

We play 5 on 5, using flags.
    Plays can only be made while on your unicycle. Once you fall off of your unicycle, you must get back on before you can affect the play.
    If you dismount the unicycle with the ball, you are down.
    We play 4 quarters with a halftime, and most games we have two referees and line judges.
    Touchdowns are 6 points. After a touchdown a team can opt to kick a field goal from the unicycle (2 points), or go for a one-point conversion.
    In Unicycle Football, the traditional coin toss is replaced by a joust on unicycles.

Ok, maybe it all sounds a little crazy. Most people won’t really “get” unicycle football until they come out to see it first hand. Basically, it is the most kick ass sport in existence. If you are interested in playing, come out to one of our games or practices. Anyone can play! Those under 18 must sign a waiver to play in the league. If you don’t know how to ride a unicycle…no problem! We have extra unicycles and plenty of people willing to teach new riders. Thanks to our generous sponsors Ozone Bikes and The Hub, we are able to get new riders on unicycles for ridiculously cheap prices. Support your local bike shop!

mtbr member
    Years ago I gave some thought to why I enjoy climbing mountains. After doing so I no longer felt compelled to question why anyone doing something athletic would do what they did. I intuitively knew they enjoyed the challenge and self fulfillment from doing something others might find difficult, dangerous, and even odd.

Why would someone risk climbing a mountain? Flying in a wing suit? Skateboarding, surfing, skiing, doing triathlons, or even unicycling? It all makes perfect sense no matter how dangerous or unique. If you enjoy doing something athletic like mountain biking, you actually may have much in common with people doing these unique or dangerous things.

Out there somewhere there is someone who doesn't get it asking why anyone would mountain bike.

mtbr member
    I think their badass, ridding on two wheels is hard as hell sometimes. If their having fun on the unicycle and ridding the trails, good for them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    I passed a gang of them while riding Cuyuna a couple months ago. I'm talking like 10 guys in a row. I felt like i had been eye raped for a minute.
    Last summer they must have been having a club rally at Cuyuna for unicycles...there were between 10-20 of them...some of them really impressed me with their ability to ride over techy rock sections.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i never understood unicycles. i feel like every decade, the unicycle companies try to make a push into the general population, but it just goes away. kinda like techno music. they just package the same old sounds. now its called dubstep or whatever? i dunno, it just sounds like making bad music worse to me. but unicycles, putting knobby tires on them, disc brakes.... whatever, its still a circus act to me.

Titanium junkie
    Pretty impressive, skills on display seeing them ride.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner