mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Lightweight with Float--wht pedals?

After a very short decade.. the Onza High Output pedals aare now sliding on their spindles.

at the same time, i think it's been a very long decade for my knees.

what's with the Frog's? and compared to Times?

and the Candy line, i assume, will have less float?

what about spur of the moment climbing unclipped?--very important for me

i realize that anytning will prolly be an improvement over what i've got, but since i'll
    be exchanging cash for product, i'd like to get what actually functions best.

thanks!

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by joe friday
    After a very short decade.. the Onza High Output pedals aare now sliding on their spindles.

at the same time, i think it's been a very long decade for my knees.

what's with the Frog's? and compared to Times?

and the Candy line, i assume, will have less float?

i realize that anytning will prolly be an improvement over what i've got, but since i'll
    be exchanging cash for product, i'd like to get what actually functions best.

thanks!
    Frogs offer completely unrestricted float, and lots of it. They're also very light, but not the greatest when it comes to pedaling un-clipped.

Times are heavier than frogs, but have a more solid clipped-in feel and just enough float. Pedaling while not clipped in is possible, but I wouldn't want to do it for an extended period.

Having used both for a while, I prefer the ATACs for MTB.

Haven't tried any of the Cook Bros. pedals, so can't comment on those.

Lastly, yes. ANYTHING will be better than those Onzas. I can't believe you actully used them for 10 yrs. I bought a set of H.O.s about ten yrs ago. One ride around the block was all it took to convince me that those were not the pedals for me. They went back to the store that same afternoon!
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

from the east

agree with Stick....

I used Frogs for a long while. (first clipless)

Float Floaty McFloatson.....But uh, not actually all that great, when it comes to things like:

cleats sensitive to mud.
    cleats very quick to wear in said mud.
    pedals very sensitive to said wear.
    very expensive to replace said worn cleats.
    said replacement cleats not likely to feel all that nice, because of worn bits on the pedal.

Er....but since then, I've found solace in Times. They can be so easily forgotten about, and keep on chuggin. My main set is a hand-me-down pair from their FIRST year of manufacture. (96?) You replace the cleats every once in a while, and you're golden. (and yet, not bank-broken)

In my opinion, pedals are one of the things firmly planted in the "function first" catagory of bike parts. Bad pedals can irritate to no end, screw up a ride, or just be plain dangerous. The possible weight savings in pedals is small compared to other components anyhow. Tha's jes' mah too sense.

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by joe friday

thanks!
    You mean you'd choose to climb unclipped every now and then, or do you mean quick starts trying to get away while still unclipped?

If the latter then it isn't an issue with the Frogs as they are so easy to clip in - as soon as you put your foot on the pedal and try a pedal stroke you're in, so uphill starts are simple.

They've been great for me - can't imagine anything working better - work great in mud, last a long time with no maintenance other than grease in the grease port, and couldn't be easier to get in and out of.

However - that is with the Frog I cleats. Frog II cleats seem to be less than perfect (I think I've read that they're going back to the old style which was perfect). I can't recommend them with the Frog II cleats.
    Wibble

zeebot
    I use eggbeaters and love them. they are VERY easy to clip into and also very easy to get out. You can pedal reasonably well while not clipped in but they are so easy to pop into dont see any reason why you would/need to. i wouldnt get the candies personally. they are a bit harder(still not hard) to clip into and i dont think the platform helps much. stick with the stainless steel model or Ti if you like wasting money.

my knees used to hurt when using a shimano spd pedal and the pain instantly went away when i started riding with eggbeaters.

dont think you can go wrong with them. amazing mud clearance, light, strong, etc. i've never been unable to clip in even with tons of gooopy mud stuck on the sole where you couldnt even see the cleats.