Thread: LBS Passion!

mtbr member

LBS Passion!

So I had a great experience at my LBS today. Now mind you, I'm one of those people who always shops online and only hits up the LBS when something breaks that I can't fix myself. I know this is uncool, but when you don't have a big budget... You know the deal. Anyway, this will all be changing after today.

I've been having some problems with my Mavic Crossmax Enduro rear wheel lately - it's been making some strange noises and I've noticed that some play has developed in the cassette body. Being worried about riding it in an upcoming race on Sunday, I figured I'd stop by my LBS and have one of the guys there take a look at it. My thinking was that they'd be able to at least suggest what the next step was in getting the problem resolved. BTW, when I say LBS, I'm talking about Berkshire Bike and Blade in Great Barrington, MA. It's a good 45 minutes from my house, but it's the only REAL bike shop around and in dealing with them in the past, they've proven to me that they actually know what they're talking about. Not only that, but the few times that I've shopped there, their prices have always been very fair.

So I go in with my wheel and talk to one of the main guys in charge (keep in mind that he knows that I did not buy this wheel from him - that I actually got it online somewhere). He says "no problem, we can take a look at it while you wait". "Cool", I say, "because I was hoping to get it up and running by this weekend in time for my race on Sunday". So they take it apart, clean it, lube it and give it back to me. No charge. So far so good, I'm thinking - very cool.

As we're standing around chatting, I'm like (half joking): "you guys should sponsor me, I moved up to Expert this year, yada yada". He says "well, we've kinda gotten away from the whole XC racing scene, but how about from now on, I just give you 25% off of everything you buy here". "And if we get some jerseys made up, I"ll give you one". Just like that, without me asking for anything. So I'm thinking "man, this shop rocks!".

Now I happen to notice that there's still some play in my cassette body on my rear wheel. After expressing some concern about it, he says, "if you want, we'll give you a Crossmax XL to use while we order up a new cassette body and put it on for you". "That way you can still race this weekend". I'm like, "really?" "What's the catch?" "There is none", he says, "just give it back to us when you're done with it".

So he transfers my rotor and cassette over to a brand new Crossmax XL rear wheel, hands it to me, proceeds to take $25 off my $75 purchases and says, "good luck this weekend".

How's that for a positive LBS experience?
    Last edited by LacticAddict; 05-11-2005 at 07:06 PM.

pepito
    Jun 2004

Good job!

nice to hear. i'll have to swing by that place next time i'm in the area. thanks for the heads up on a good shop.

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

Penis Goat!
    Wow....that is impressive. Did he give you some stickers to put on your bike, car, or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by LacticAddict
    So I had a great experience at my LBS today. Now mind you, I'm one of those people who always shops online and only hits up the LBS when something breaks that I can't fix myself. I know this is uncool, but when you don't have a big budget... You know the deal. Anyway, this will all be changing after today.

I've been having some problems with my Mavic Crossmax Enduro rear wheel lately - it's been making some strange noises and I've noticed that some play has developed in the cassette body. Being worried about riding it in an upcoming race on Sunday, I figured I'd stop by my LBS and have one of the guys there take a look at it. My thinking was that they'd be able to at least suggest what the next step was in getting the problem resolved. BTW, when I say LBS, I'm talking about Berkshire Bike and Blade in Great Barrington, MA. It's a good 45 minutes from my house, but it's the only REAL bike shop around and in dealing with them in the past, they've proven to me that they actually know what they're talking about. Not only that, but the few times that I've shopped there, their prices have always been very fair.

So I go in with my wheel and talk to one of the main guys in charge (keep in mind that he knows that I did not buy this wheel from him - that I actually got it online somewhere). He says "no problem, we can take a look at it while you wait". "Cool", I say, "because I was hoping to get it up and running by this weekend in time for my race on Sunday". So they take it apart, clean it, lube it and give it back to me. No charge. So far so good, I'm thinking - very cool.

As we're standing around chatting, I'm like (half joking): "you guys should sponsor me, I moved up to Expert this year, yada yada". He says "well, we've kinda gotten away from the whole XC racing scene, but how about from now on, I just give you 25% off of everything you buy here". "And if we get some jerseys made up, I"ll give you one". Just like that, without me asking for anything. So I'm thinking "man, this shop rocks!".

Now I happen to notice that there's still some play in my cassette body on my rear wheel. After expressing some concern about it, he says, "if you want, we'll give you a Crossmax XL to use while we order up a new cassette body and put it on for you". "That way you can still race this weekend". I'm like, "really?" "What's the catch?" "There is none", he says, "just give it back to us when you're done with it".

So he transfers my rotor and cassette over to a brand new Crossmax XL rear wheel, hands it to me, proceeds to take $25 off my $75 purchases and says, "good luck this weekend".

How's that for a positive LBS experience?
    Cool !!! Nice to hear something GOOD about LBS's every so often