V-Shaped Rut

Late season Tahoe riding

Wow, posted this last week on a car forum of all places and forgot it here. So.... cut 'n paste from there.

After getting back from a loaded month of travel/work I decided to take some time off. I've been down around sea level and then up at a milder altitude, and of course not riding at all for a month, too much unhealthy food, etc... I knew I was gonna be off my pace so I picked an "easy" ride, the flume trail.

Flume is nothing special in terms of riding. Zero technical riding, not at all challenging if you do it in the opposite direction that I did. Its the incredible views you get that make it an iconic ride for western US folks.

Its a 22 mile out and back, starting with a craptastic ball busting 5 mile climb up a sometimes sandy fireroad. Out of shape, single speed bike, sucked goat balls.

Then you're treated to a short descent down to one of our smaller alpine lakes, Marlette. Only accessible via hike, bike or horse its pretty pristine. Ride along the shores for a little over a mile and then you crest the hill and get to the reason why you did all that work. You've now got almost 5 miles of flat, easy to pedal singletrack that give stunning views of lake tahoe.

My pics won't do it justice, I'd love to come back sometime with a real camera. I might be moving back to Vegas full time before next summer, so it was great to get one last look at this ride. I had originally planned on more pics on the way back, but my wife texted letting me know the sushi place was closing in 2 hours.

Turned on the afterburners and what was a mellow ride on the way out was race pace on the way back. Literally pushed my body to its limits, both quads cramped up on the final hill and I had to walk it. Ever try to walk with two quads cramping/straightening every step? But **** that, sushi waits for no man.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Late season Tahoe riding-trail.jpg  

Late season Tahoe riding-dissent_marlette.jpg  

Late season Tahoe riding-marlette.jpg  

Late season Tahoe riding-tahoe_view2.jpg  

Late season Tahoe riding-sushi.jpg  

Dirt Huffer
    Looks amazing!

mtbr member
    Awesome.

Lake Tahoe sure is beautiful.

mtbr member
    ...and you sure can tell the Horses like that first lake!

I heard you swear...
    mmm, great pictures!

JBH
    mtbr member
    Very nice pics. Is that a Misfit you're riding? Sweet ride.

V-Shaped Rut
    Yep, size L, hope pro II, 355's and carbon stuff. Its my only mountain bike at this point. Only real complain is I'd like shorter chainstays and the rear wheel is sometimes hard to align. Kinda nitpicky though, its an awesome bike!

Quote Originally Posted by JBH
    Very nice pics. Is that a Misfit you're riding? Sweet ride.

mtbr dismember

Should have asked

You should have asked for advice. That is about the most boring way to do The Flume.

V-Shaped Rut
    Something to be said for trying a different route. With that said the spooner to flume route sucks and I won't be doing that direction again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Is there really snow up there already? Or are my eyes deceiving me?

mtbr member
    Man, I miss Tahoe. I grew up in Gardnerville, right near there. As for the snow comment, snow stays on Mt Tallac (those mtns in the distance) for a long time into the summer, often never completely melting. But they did have some snow a few weeks ago, albeit a dusting.

Btw. that roll on the left looks great. It's sad how few people know how good shiso leaf can be.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Members who have read this thread: 0