North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004

Last Alpine Bike ride of the season?

Vancouver is pretty cool. Wake up at 5.30am, pick Ty up at 6. Breakfast at Timmy Hortons. Trailhead at 7:30. Up in the alpine at 8:45.

1000m hike-a-bike

Gamboling in the meadows

Chill and take pictures. Stomp the 1000m that we climbed all the way back down.

Back down by 10.50am .. Did not suck at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Crazy how many people live in the valley now

Hard to get nice pics with the constant haze. If you look closely you might see me across the valley on Sumas Mtn. Riding the last few days has been

the test dummy
    that is sick
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Miller
    Hard to get nice pics with the constant haze. If you look closely you might see me across the valley on Sumas Mtn. Riding the last few days has been
    Unusually clear day. Just had to take advantage of it. What a great place to live

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Lee, I need to have you show me around my own neighbourhood! I keep riding the same old same old.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    LeeL, G'day.

While you have had your last Alpine ride for the season, it is just about time for our tracks to dry out after the thaw.

I don't know how the word 'Alpine' is interpreted on the different continents. Whether it is attitudinally dependant or dependant on the foliage communities but here in Oz, unless it is above the tree line it is either sub-alpine or, montane. The highest mountain here in is 7,200ft, possibly a height that doesn't reach sub-alpine status in North America.

A few shots from my last couple of trips into the high country.

The bush flies found above the tree line, starting from late spring are terrible. The earlier the mountains are ridden the better, if the tracks are clear and there isn't too much late spring snow. There is reasonably good access to the mountains for riders. Like all places, several of the declared wilderness regions are off limits to bikes but surprisingly one of the best places to ride, the Jagungal Wilderness, is accessible to off road riders.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 10-29-2010 at 12:12 AM.

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    LeeL, Where did you guys ride? it looks awesome!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Wild Wassa. It's actually "sub-alpine". I use the geographical definition so actually that was strictly speaking inter montagne. At this latitude true alpine is 2200m. I actually did get another subalpine ride in but no pictures unfortunately.

blizzard - it's in the Lower Mainland area of Vancouver

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    @LeeL where in the lower mainland?? I am in Vancouver as well.