Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LASIK passion

mtbr member

LASIK passion

Not exactly bike related, but I wanted to post up about how extremely happy I am about the LASIK surgery I had yesterday. All I can say, it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. One day after surgery at my follow up, I'm seeing 20/20, almost 20/15, with expectations that I'll be 20/15 within the next week or two as my eyes heal.

Procedure was painless with just a slight discomfort afterwards once the numbing drops wore off. Vision was hazy but improved throughout the day and this morning when the Dr. removed the protection contact lenses, my vision was crystal clear.

All I can say it that it's amazing to be able to see perfectly without glasses or contacts and really makes me realize how much I (we) take vision for granted. I'm excited to get out on the trails again and be able to see unassisted and not worry about loosing a contact from too much sweat in my eyes or crashing and loosing/breaking my glasses.

mtbr member
    Thanks-I've been thinking about having this done for a while! My script is bad enough now that I have to use prescription inserts in my cycling glasses and I hate them! How old are you (I'm 50) and how bad were your eyes? I don't think I can expect to have perfect vision but I would like to have a much weaker script so I can use regular glasses...

mtbr member
    I had it done in 2008, and I think it improved my cycling, at least to the extent of actually being able to see in varying light conditions, and down trail more than a few feet helps...

was 20/100 or so, tested at 20/15 "at least" (I read every line on the chart with ease, there wasn't a smaller one to test). My vision now has gotten a little worse than 6 months after surgery, but still 20/20 at least...

JKA
    mtbr member
    LASIK is an awesome surgery for the right patient. Just please don't go to the discount chop shop for LASIK. There are a lot of people that should never have LASIK and those places will do almost anyone who walks in the door with money. Go to a doc that can offer other options besides LASIK. Like the saying goes..."If your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail".
    As an eye doc, I've seen my fair share of poorly done LASIK. Some patients see worse after LASIK than before and we can't fix it with glasses or contacts. There are other options for folks with real high prescriptions that can give amazing results as well. Also please understand that there are no guarantees. No one can promise any one 20/20 vision after LASIK. When operating on living tissue, we can't control every variable and the healing process can change things.

Professional Crastinator
    Check your depth perception before you go playing any baseball or frisbee or javelin catching. It's different now - in a good way.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I agree. This place was definitely not a chop shop. I was given some options in addition to the LASIK. My doctor has been doing the procedure since 1995 I think so I figured he had enough practice, he should be pretty good at it by now...lol

I'm 37. As far as my eyes, honestly, not sure. They weren't terrible. I think one eye was 20/40 maybe, the other a bit worse and with a moderate astigmatism. My eyes have always been correctable to 20/20 or better with glasses or contacts but it's so much of a relief to not have to rely on anything now. Of course I understand the say may come when I need reading glasses or even a LASIK touch up, but for now and until that time comes, I'm going to thoroughly enjoy my new vision.

mtbr member
    PRK done in 2000. Still 20/15 and sometimes better. However, I hit the age of reading glasses a few years back, so am back to wearing glasses part time.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the post, it helped me as I have been hemming and hawing about getting it done. But, since it is all out of pocket for me, ya all think it was well worth the cost? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Absolutely. Out of pocket for me too. I financed it as much as I hated to, but it was that or not getting it done for a long time. Even though the vision improvement for me wasn't huge since with contacts or glasses I have 20/20 - 20/15 vision, the fact that I don't ever have to wear glasses or mess with annoying uncomfortable contacts is what makes it worth it to me. I love being able to get up in the morning now and blink a few times to get my eyes cleared and go.

Trail Prospector
    While not MTB specific this is a very relevant topic to all with vision challenges.
    To me, prescription sunglasses are my most valued piece of gear,
    as without them it's difficult to determine the size of the rock, roots, or rut.
    Too concerned with light sensitivity, I've not considered LASIK, yet have witnessed other's success.
    OP, Glad to hear that you went for it, and hope you gain the superpowers of 20/15 vision.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Just FYI, I've not had much issue with light sensitivity. I mean yeah, it's an issue right after surgery and a couple days after however it fades each passing day. I'm now 3 days post-op and really, I can tell very little difference between before and after as far as that is concerned. I'd say in the next day or two, if that long, it will be a completely non-issue. Even the day of surgery, it wasn't anything sunglasses couldn't take care of.

beater

LASIK passion

Thanks for your post JKA. I have a lot of friends who have had corrective surgery and who rave about it. On the other hand, my uncle's didn't work out all that well, and he can't or won't drive at night anymore. I understand statistics, but... Contacts and glasses can be a pain (especially for backpacking and river trips), but I only have one pair of eyes. I haven't ruled out surgery, but I haven't been compelled to pursue it, either.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Ugly As F*ck
    I wish there was a surgery option for my eyes. I wear a +8 in my right eye, can't see anything but a blur without the contact in. It sucks, but I don't take what little vision I do have for granted, if I were to ever lose it that would surely be the end of my riding. At which point I would shrivel up and die.

Ride More, Whine Less

LASIK passion

I have a -5.5 and seriously considering LASIK this year. My work just started offering a payroll financing deal that sounds like just what I've been waiting for.
    Last edited by heyyall; 07-02-2013 at 04:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    PRK done in 2000. Still 20/15 and sometimes better. However, I hit the age of reading glasses a few years back, so am back to wearing glasses part time.
    I'm in a similar boat. Before the surgery, I was told I might need reading glasses when they were done, but I didn't really listen- I was too excited w/ the prospect of having near 20/20 vision!
    Sadly, that was not to be.
    All I did was trade near-sightedness for far-sightedness. I need reading glasses nearly all the time- at work, the computer is fuzzy without them, when riding, I can't read my Garmin without them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbSOB View Post
    Thanks for the post, it helped me as I have been hemming and hawing about getting it done. But, since it is all out of pocket for me, ya all think it was well worth the cost? Thanks in advance.
    I can't answer that one. Mine was done by the Navy when I was on active duty. The cost would have been loss of my flight status if it didn't work out. I was part of a study to determine if laser surgery would be OK for aviators and it is! It was voluntary and, obviously, I thought it was worth the risk since I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Just FYI, I've not had much issue with light sensitivity. I mean yeah, it's an issue right after surgery and a couple days after however it fades each passing day. I'm now 3 days post-op and really, I can tell very little difference between before and after as far as that is concerned. I'd say in the next day or two, if that long, it will be a completely non-issue. Even the day of surgery, it wasn't anything sunglasses couldn't take care of.
    One thing I learned from that study is that for people with blue eyes, there is slightly increased light sensitivity post surgery. With PRK (vs LASIK), you are VERY light sensitive for the first few days, sitting in a darkened room, with sunglasses on just to watch TV! lol

Since I have blue eyes, I do have some light sensitivity to this day, but it's not bad and since I wear sunglasses everywhere, it doesn't really affect me.

Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    I'm in a similar boat. Before the surgery, I was told I might need reading glasses when they were done, but I didn't really listen- I was too excited w/ the prospect of having near 20/20 vision!
    Sadly, that was not to be.
    All I did was trade near-sightedness for far-sightedness. I need reading glasses nearly all the time- at work, the computer is fuzzy without them, when riding, I can't read my Garmin without them.
    We were told that if - when the time came - we'd need reading glasses, the procedure wouldn't change that. Since most people do as they get older, my turn came a few years ago, about 10 years after my surgery. And, if I'm not tired and have good light, I still don't need them all the time. But it does seem to be getting a bit worse. Oh well. I still don't need them to ride!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Two Wheeled Terror
    I got my prk done in 06 and it was amazing. -6.5 to 20/15 in both eyes and remains so to this day. I had to sign some special waivers for the Navy to do it but very worth it. My eyes are still sensitive to light. I wear sunglasses at all times outdoors. My eyes hurt after a whole day out in the desert sun.

Hand typed and Telegraphed

Rides with Scissors
    I got mine done about six months ago, so far, so good! No major issues, at least not related to LASIK (currently dealing with a case of conjunctivitis after being splashed in the face with river water). I did it because I was sick of dealing with glasses/contacts and as I was approaching "over-40-itis" and the need for reading glasses/bifocals. My dad had quite a time with bifocals, something I wanted to avoid. I'm OK with just needing reading glasses from time to time.

Its nice being out and about, not having to worry about a lens popping out or sliding off my eye!

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    One thing I learned from that study is that for people with blue eyes, there is slightly increased light sensitivity post surgery. With PRK (vs LASIK), you are VERY light sensitive for the first few days, sitting in a darkened room, with sunglasses on just to watch TV! lol

Since I have blue eyes, I do have some light sensitivity to this day, but it's not bad and since I wear sunglasses everywhere, it doesn't really affect me.
    Another blue eyed person here, I wasn't all that light sensitive before, but I am now. I invested in some nicer, wrap-around type shades... much better than my cheap (that I leave in the car all the time) sunglasses.
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

JKA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I have a +5.5 and seriously considering LASIK this year. My work just started offering a payroll financing deal that sounds like just what I've been waiting for.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but +5.50 is definitely too high for LASIK. We just don't have anything to offer for that much farsightedness at this time. LASIK would give you crummy vision, lots of glare at night, and would undoubtedly regress significantly over 6-12 months. Stick with contacts for now.

JKA
    mtbr member
    For all you guys and gals considering LASIK, PRK, etc., here's a basic guideline that I use.
    No LASIK over about -7.00 or +2.00. The + side is way more difficult to do than the - side.
    Hyperopic (+) corrections will always regress to a degree.
    Astigmatism correction is good up to about 4 diopters of cylinder, but that's a bit variable.
    PRK is best not to go above about -5.00 as it does leave some people with significant light sensitivity and corneal haze. If it's done over about -4.00, some special medicine during surgery can help prevent post-operative haze of the cornea. PRK heals way slower as far as comfort and vision.
    Dry eyes can be problematic for either LASIK or PRK, but more so with LASIK. Chronic dry eyes is a fairly common problem after LASIK and can possibly be a lifetime problem.
    Higher myopic corrections (-6.00 and up) are possibly good candidates for a lens implant know as ICL. These give very good results in high myopes.
    Remember, no surgery is perfect and outcomes can be variable. No one can promise you perfect 20/20 vision without glasses. Many achieve it, but some don't. Patients get ticked when they spend all that money on LASIK and then still have to wear glasses to see as good as they want.

nOOb
    May 2008
    I have been considering it for years, but being cautious, I wanted to wait and see how it's working out for people after a few years.
    I just had an acquaintance have it done at Mayo, and he is now blind in the left eye, less than 1% sight in that eye.
    Still, incidents like that are rare, and wouldn't deter me from having it done myself if I felt like dong it.

QUOTE=JKA;10498837]LASIK is an awesome surgery for the right patient. Just please don't go to the discount chop shop for LASIK. There are a lot of people that should never have LASIK and those places will do almost anyone who walks in the door with money. Go to a doc that can offer other options besides LASIK. Like the saying goes..."If your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail".
    As an eye doc, I've seen my fair share of poorly done LASIK. Some patients see worse after LASIK than before and we can't fix it with glasses or contacts. There are other options for folks with real high prescriptions that can give amazing results as well. Also please understand that there are no guarantees. No one can promise any one 20/20 vision after LASIK. When operating on living tissue, we can't control every variable and the healing process can change things.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Thanks for your post JKA. I have a lot of friends who have had corrective surgery and who rave about it. On the other hand, my uncle's didn't work out all that well, and he can't or won't drive at night anymore. I understand statistics, but... Contacts and glasses can be a pain (especially for backpacking and river trips), but I only have one pair of eyes. I haven't ruled out surgery, but I haven't been compelled to pursue it, either.
    This is about where I am, too. My contacts are so non-invasive in my life that I don't have a big reason to do anything about it. 10 seconds in the morning to put them in, 5 seconds to take them out, done. Plus I have 20/15 vision with them. In short, I know what I have now and it works well for me, not sure about taking any risk to change it. But good to hear it is working out well for some.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    A company called Dual makes excellent bifocal sunglasses that work well for cycling. I have some and really like them. No script on the top and various powers available for the lower part. You can also get interchangeable lenses. They are also very affordable. Dual Eyewear Polarized Bifocal Sunglasses - Official Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKA View Post
    PRK heals way slower as far as comfort and vision.
    Mine was about 3 days of sitting in the dark with frozen peas on my eyes every couple of hours and some pain killers for the first ~24-36 hours. After about 5 days, no more pain. Vision... well, I couldn't tell, really, because right after the surgery - while my eyes were still numbed - I could see perfectly. Better than perfectly. Then they stuck in the "bandage" contacts and told me to put in the steroids and anti-bacterial. By day 5 those "bandages" were so damn dirty, I could barely see any more! Once they pulled them out, it took another week or so to "polish" (Doc's word) the epithelial cells they removed and after 30 days, I was returned to flight status.

Just in case someone's considering PRK vs Lasik.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    This is about where I am, too. My contacts are so non-invasive in my life that I don't have a big reason to do anything about it. 10 seconds in the morning to put them in, 5 seconds to take them out, done. Plus I have 20/15 vision with them. In short, I know what I have now and it works well for me, not sure about taking any risk to change it. But good to hear it is working out well for some.
    Yeah, generally I would have just stuck with contacts but I have an astigmatism in one eye that made it a real PITA with contacts. No matter what, it seemed I could never get the right contact to work with my eye and I was always messing with it to rotate the lens to the proper orientation. That was a huge reason why I decided to go with the surgery. Now I don't have to worry about it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast