Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Las Vegas Cowboy Trails: Flat, Wide, Boring......

They're all soft and sandy from too many horses, lined with rocks, covered with horse crap and WIDE.... Don't go there...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Looks like Red Rock area. Because of all the sand you guy's ride on, (actually in) do you guy's use wide big tires even on a XC type bike?

mtbr member

Not!

I've been hearing some stirrings on this board over the past few months about these trails in Vegas and having been in the area several times I thought I could find them. We camped at that BLM camp site a mile down the road from them a couple of years ago and hauled our bikes over to Blue Diamond and Cottonwood to ride, not knowing what gems lay in store beyond that innocuous looking sign. Big Grins. That's what.

Check out the bad helmet light wiring management.

mtbr member

Looks flat...... It ain't.

It's really hard to get good self-portrait action shots on steep sections or drops. This is near the bottom of one of the fun downhills at the Cowboy trails. I was too busy trying to wipe that dang off my face to remember to even try when I was up higher in the bigger rocks and drops.

mtbr member

Riding off into the sunset.

If thems what y'all call cowboy trails, then I'm puttin' on my spurs and chaps and saddlin' up, partner! Yeeeeee Haaaaaah!

More Chasmism

Great Shots

Glad you got to go down there and check it out. Do you remember which trails you did? If you were in the air about 30 times over several miles only to end up on some steep, loose switchbacks, then you most likely did Boneshaker. We were fortunate to ride with Jared who owns Escape and knows those trails better than anyone. Some of the stuff we did was just recently built and not commonly known. It was cloudy the day we did it and for some reason the topography reminded me of Scotland. God that was fun.

KRob, I love that last sunset shot! Thanks.

hfly

P.S. Drumstix, I ride in a lot of sand and prefer wide tires. I rode the Cowboy Trails in these pictures on my Bullit with a 2.5 rear and 2.7 front. I had my hardtail too with me on that trip and think I cold have handled most of the terrain with its 2.1/2.1 combo, though.

mtbr member

I'll be back.....

Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    Glad you got to go down there and check it out. Do you remember which trails you did? If you were in the air about 30 times over several miles only to end up on some steep, loose switchbacks, then you most likely did Boneshaker. We were fortunate to ride with Jared who owns Escape and knows those trails better than anyone. Some of the stuff we did was just recently built and not commonly known. It was cloudy the day we did it and for some reason the topography reminded me of Scotland. God that was fun.

KRob, I love that last sunset shot! Thanks.

hfly
    Hey Tim, I was expIoring on my own, so not sure the names of the trails. I rode after work on Friday night.. short loop, first left fork then up onto the first (most westerly) ridge. Fun not too technical down, maybe 6-7 miles.

Saturday morning about 6:00 am (yes, it was still dark) I stayed to the right at all the forks trying to get up on the big ridge to the East that overlooks Vegas, but ended up dropping down through a steep gorge with impressivley built switch backs up the other side (looking across from where I started, I couldn't see how they got the trail up there..(It looka like a cliff from the opposite side), then down a fun ridge just to the west of the big ridge (with the radio tower on it). Lots of fun drops and a nice flow to it. Props to the trail builder(s). Just before the last plunge down to the horse corrals, I could see some gnarly looking switchbacks coming off the ridge just to the east. That must be the end of Bone Shaker. I took a photo, but the flat light didn't show the trail. Looks like fun. I'm definitely going back to explore some more.
    Last edited by KRob; 12-21-2006 at 02:36 PM.

Just Joshin' ya!
    I thought I would revive this old thread in tribute to my favorite trails in LV and provide an idea of what can be expected there with more pics.

These trails are very challenging and very fun. If you are in to some tough rides that test your skills, then these are for you. Get a map from Las Vegas Cyclery or search the Nevada forum for the map. All of the trails are not on it and some of the obstacles in the pics below are on some newer trails.

The Cowboy Trails can be done by an intermediate rider, but you may have to walk some of the step ups and drops. Advanced skills are needed to ride the full loop. If you ride to the lookout and then continue down the ridegeline, you have three options to get out, turn around (boo!), Bonehaker, or Bob Gnarly. If you come down Boneshaker, you had better have some serious skills or be willing to hold on (I am just willing to hang on and I crash alot). It has a series of excellent drops throughout, and the bottom is very steep and very loose.It is probably my favorite way down. I have a bike with 6 inches of travel in the rear and 5.5 in the front and it is capable of riding the whole trail. Many people do use full blown FR and DH bikes on this and can make it down much easier than me. I have to take it sloooow and roll the bigger drops so I do not blow out my suspension. I will try and post some pics of Boneshaker the next time I ride it.

If you come down Bob Gnarly, you still need some serious skills but it is not as steep and there are not as many drops. Bob Gnarly is still very techy though and excellent balance at slow speeds is a must.

The following 2 pics are of me riding The moon trail (I think that is what it is called) and then the final pic is of some step downs on Bob Gnarly. All pics were taken by Southern Nevada MTB celebrity E!. So now you know what to expect!
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

desert dweller
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I've been hearing some stirrings on this board over the past few months about these trails in Vegas and having been in the area several times I thought I could find them. We camped at that BLM camp site a mile down the road from them a couple of years ago and hauled our bikes over to Blue Diamond and Cottonwood to ride, not knowing what gems lay in store beyond that innocuous looking sign. Big Grins. That's what.

Check out the bad helmet light wiring management.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. I would hope you could find the place. It probably looked faintly familiar too. Okay Joshua, your digging through the seemy underbelly of mtbr for this post. I think the photo I have of kent on the Barta site is from December '04 (or there abouts).

http://www.barta-nv.com/imagelib/sit...g&target=_self

Matt
    Last edited by mattbikeboy; 04-18-2006 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Okay -- This is a freakin old post --

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbikeboy
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. I would hope you could find the place. It probably looked faintly familiar too. Okay Joshua, your digging through the seemy underbelly of mtbr for this post. I think the photo I have of kent on the Barta site is from December '04 (or there abouts).

http://www.barta-nv.com/imagelib/sit...g&target=_self

Matt
    I know! It is way old, but I came across it when I was looking up the Cowboy Trails in the trail reviews. Apparently, this thread is linked from the review to find out more info on it. I just wanted to make sure people knew it was not really flat and boring! Though I do not want to encourage too many people to go there.

Its only 1" on the map!

He He

They're all soft and sandy from too many horses, lined with rocks, covered with horse crap and WIDE.... Don't go there...
    We just missed on that Friday! You were on the trail when we came off. I don't think any of us would have been up for another lap.

Here are some pics from our day out on The Cowboy Trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbill
    We just missed on that Friday! You were on the trail when we came off. I don't think any of us would have been up for another lap.

Here are some pics from our day out on The Cowboy Trails.
    I was gone all last week (San Diego... go figure... oh, btw Noble Canyon is sweet) so I missed the resurrection of this old thread. Yeah, sorry I missed you guys. You must've started off on your ride latter than planned.

Great pics. The other option down is Bob Gnarly. Nice photo showing the switch backs across the way.

JD.. er.. ehem Karate Chicken pm'd a link to his write-up over on that other forum that shall not be named.

Oh here's a link to a few pics of my rides that weekend. I did a nice pile driver off that one four footer but other than that, I had a good, clean run.
    Last edited by KRob; 04-24-2006 at 06:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Bill you get around. I am bighit on STR and looking to hit the cowboy trails in two weeks. Thanks for the RR.

V-Shaped Rut
    I haven't been back to the cowboy trails since I started riding SS and got back in shape. They kicked my ass before, I bet they'd be fun now. Maybe I'll go wednesday morning.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If you are in the area let me know, I would like to hook up with some locals

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

On our way to Moab

We will be driving to Moab from NorCal and google maps says we should drive through vegas on our way... who am I to argue!

These trails look like what we are looking for to break up the drive.

someone have have a map?

The BARTA website appears to be down

Slowly but surely...
    Matt took the BARTA site down when the late night lot was finished (long story, surf the Nevada forums if you want the full details). Anyhow, he preserved the maps on his business site at http://www.lvactionimages.com/id2.html

Have a good ride!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.
    - Juli Furtado

V-Shaped Rut
    BTW-I took my SS on a group ride on the cowboy trails. I posted elsewhere, but since this thread is up....

The way up is very rideable, even on an SS. You'll need to be in shape but an intermediate level rider like myself will be fine. Lots of vegas locals have ridden with me and can confirm my mediocre fitness.

At the top you can go down boneshaker but you need skillz and a long travel bike is a good idea. We went down bob gnarly which is almost non-existent in places so don't get lost! Most of it was rideable even on my hardtail, there are only a few drops and techy spots where you might have to walk it. It doesn't help that you're probably beat from the ride to the top.

The mid/lower trail is very narrow and steep in spots. Good low speed skillz indeed. I went over the bars twice, but the folks who dropped their seats were fine, I just suck.

I really consider cowboy trails to be more of a challenge/fitness/change up the routine ride than a pleasure ride. FWIW if you're in the area and have limited time there are several better options. But if you've already done the whole blue diamond/cottonwood thing it is a rewarding ride.

mtbr member
    Holy old thread resurrection, Batman!!!

That was my first ride at the Cowboy Trails. Four years and many, many, happy returns later it's still one of my favorite Vegas trails.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Holy old thread resurrection, Batman!!!

That was my first ride at the Cowboy Trails. Four years and many, many, happy returns later it's still one of my favorite Vegas trails.
    The thread that just won't die. I miss those old trails. They made me tough. Yo KRob, I read your reviews from interbike. I think I need a Turner now. Any chance you might be joining us for the spring fling this year in AZ?

E !

nmphi767 here's one for ya

Looking back three years now. Was KROB on this ride? NMphi in blue, E ! in yellow heading down bob gmarley.
    KROB, we have some newer trails here by Mt. Charlie. Hit me up when your in town.

MK2
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Does anyone have a map of the Cowboy Trails? I'm going to Vegas on 10/1 and am planning to ride these trails. I saw a couple links for maps but the sites appear to be down.

Looks like the last post was in 2008. Does anyone have more current reviews or pics?

Weapon of Choice
    I believe Las Vegas cyclery down the road on Charleston blvd has free map. , I have been riding there alot lately so if you want to meet up; perhaps on a Sunday, thats cool. Here are some extra pics of the trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Las Vegas Cowboy Trails: Flat, Wide, Boring......-vid00876.jpg  

Las Vegas Cowboy Trails: Flat, Wide, Boring......-dsc07012.jpg  

Las Vegas Cowboy Trails: Flat, Wide, Boring......-dsc07023.jpg  

Las Vegas Cowboy Trails: Flat, Wide, Boring......-dsc07007.jpg  

Super Unknown

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    Rode the trails out of Blue Diamond this March. Frickin AMAZING. Best ride I had while in CA/NV. My first time biking out west. Hit it up if you can.... sure beats the living hell of Las Vegas proper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

mtbr member
    Hope you get to do this ride when you're in Vegas. Still one of my favorites. Definitely NOT flat, wide, or boring.

StGeorgeLV 036ce

StGeorgeLV 033

Have you checked the trail reviews. There's some pretty good directions there.

And here's one of the best maps I've seen. Courtesy zinger-UK (Edit: This map doesn't show Bone Shaker which begins right at that hard right switchback from Anti-SARS up to the radio tower or Bomb Voyage which is one of the newer tech descents off the front side. It's just to the Northeast of the Bob Gnarly, I believe)
    Check with Jared at Las Vegas Cylcery for the latest map.
    Have fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Las Vegas Cowboy Trails: Flat, Wide, Boring......-cowboymk2.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast