mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Lapierre fan boys

Some months ago my local bike shot got a Lapierre in with electronic suspension. Perhaps i've been living under a rock but i'd never heard of Lapierre before this. Since then, every mountain biker in my town seems to think that Lapierre bikes are the best thing since sliced bread. The whole thing makes me want to kick babies. I admit that I don't have any experience with them but i see the brand as being nothing more than average. Anyone have any experience with them? Any thoughts?

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Huge in Europe, been around forever. But out of the US mostly because of intellectual property issues with the linkage. Since the patent just expired, they're free to distribute in the states now.

From everything I've heard, they're solid.

Incidentally, they're owned by the same holding company that owns Raleigh and Diamondback.

mtbr member
    Lapierre mtbs look great, I have been drooling over them for years (Zesty and Spicy). Their road bikes have been available in the US for a few years now but not the mtbs, some kind of patent issue me thinks. If you ask me they are most welcome to shake up the US mtb bike market.

Lappierre's brand image in my eyes is far superior to that of Raleigh and especially Diamondback.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The demo van just went thru here, and I got an hour or two on the XR 729. It's a single pivot carbon XC 29'er, 25.5 lbs with pedals and battery, and sporting that electronic terrain detection system linked to the rear shock via fork and bottom bracket sensors.

Fun bike. Very fast climber with ultra precise steering and efficient pedaling. The latter benefit one would off course expect as the suspension automatically locks when the crank arms spin. On the rolling technical trail I did the system only went softer than pro-pedal once or twice in 5 miles. Custom settings can be programmed, but for my riding this was about perfect. It's funny to hear the servo motor working, a soft little whirr, and on this trail it had it's hands full. Descending was as expected on a steep angled race bike with a long stem and skinny tires. Overall a bike I could get a lot of fun out of.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I own a Spicy 327 and soon I'll receive a Spicy Team: these are fantastic bikes. I replaced the fork (Fox) on the 327 with a Pike and now it's perfect. The last year I rode a Cannondal Scalpel 29er (for trailing) and a Scott Genius LT (for enduro racing): i sold both because the Spicy is a good climber and downhill is fantastic so you can replace all your bike with one: I really love these bikes :-)