mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Landing off axis after a whip

Why do you see riders whipping a jump and landing with their rear tire out of line with their front? Is that technique to gain something? Is it just bad video angle?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    it's fun?
    Time wounds all heels...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Is most pressure is kept on the front wheel until the back one bounces back in line..or do you just drag it along until it lines up and starts rolling?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Whips are cool and the tire will align with the front again shortly

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBoom View Post
    Whips are cool
    This man speaks the truth. End of thread.

mtbr member
    If you keep your front tire in the direction you are heading the rear snaps back in place right away

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Guys, guys - I think whips are awesome too!!

I'm not saying anything bad about them. I was just wondering why I normally see dudes landing "sideways" after doing them. Is that technique? Is that the norm for all whips...or is that just some added flair? Or maybe the whip is so big that is just how you have to land because you don't have enough time to straighten back out?

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    What is an isn't a properly executed whip could be debated endlessly, but in short

it seems like all of them land slightly off camber. You're extra cool if you've got time to do the whip and straighten yourself out again as much as possible. However, landing slightly off camber is alright. There is a good bit of added flair to it. Their especially good for photo ops.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This is what I was looking for. I thought it was flair, but who knows.. maybe landing off axis helps control something or another. Didn't want to get out there and try it for the first time to smash my face in the ground.

Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    It's cause we don't get enough hang time for the big whips we want to achieve. But honestly, who cares, just enjoy.

Video: Whip Off World Champs - Part 1 - Pinkbike

Video: Whip Off World Champs - Part 2 - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great vids - I've seen both before. I always am digging through PB's videos.

I assumed it was just for lack of time to straighten back out, but was curious.

mtbr member
    it's complete lack of time vs. how sideways you want to be.

if your front tire is more or less pointed in the right direction, your instinctive muscles with correct for most of the sideways landing. Always remember to look where you want to go and keep your head over the bike.

My first cool looking whip seemed pretty sketchy, I landed at maybe a 60 degree angle but I didn't eat dirt. Once you practice a bit, it'll begin to seem natural. Try it, it's super fun.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zk6760 View Post
    This is what I was looking for. I thought it was flair, but who knows.. maybe landing off axis helps control something or another. Didn't want to get out there and try it for the first time to smash my face in the ground.

Thanks everyone!
    On some trails it feels required if you want to go fast as possible that you get some cheap air and do a bit of an off camber twisting motion with your bike, and it feels like the miniest and weakest of all whips, but the feeling is there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sometimes, a whip initiated by countersteer, is used to land off camber to enter into the next turn.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it - it'll be broke soon enough !" - ILOJ

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by iloj View Post
    Sometimes, a whip initiated by countersteer, is used to land off camber to enter into the next turn.
    Interesting point. So if you whip your back end to the right..would that be setting you up for a turn to the left?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zk6760 View Post
    Interesting point. So if you whip your back end to the right..would that be setting you up for a turn to the left?
    Correct.

Also, another technical use for the tail whip is to blow off energy comming off a jump. As you compress leading into the jump, that energy can be released by popping you higher into the air, great for air time and tricks. But, if DH racing, and you want to get your wheels back on the ground quicklyl, you can countersteer, drop you CM to the inside, getting a good tail whip, with bike nearly horizontal, blowing off energy to the side and getting your wheels back on the ground quickly.

All the technical reasons to do this aside, it looks really cool and adds style points.

If you google and search YouTube for FluidRide, they have some great video clips on this.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it - it'll be broke soon enough !" - ILOJ

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks

Is not amused
    Correct.

Also, another technical use for the tail whip is to blow off energy comming off a jump. As you compress leading into the jump, that energy can be released by popping you higher into the air, great for air time and tricks. But, if DH racing, and you want to get your wheels back on the ground quicklyl, you can countersteer, drop you CM to the inside, getting a good tail whip, with bike nearly horizontal, blowing off energy to the side and getting your wheels back on the ground quickly.

All the technical reasons to do this aside, it looks really cool and adds style points.

If you google and search YouTube for FluidRide, they have some great video clips on this.

This all the way.

From the MTB video skills sticky thread. It starts at the 50 min mark going over jumps then gets into the technical bits at the 58:10 mark of what your asking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Video from page four. Goes over a ton of technical skills in depth, more to do with downhill and freeride but there is a ton of information to take in. Let this video load all the way before watching as it is over an hour long. Thanks.

MTB technical skills from Nobrunch on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Oh wow - thanks so much for the video! This is super helpful.