Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lance yellow bracelet. Is it cool?

I'm just wondering something. The local DJ here is talking about how people are now wearing the Lance bracelet because it's the "cool" thing to do fashion wise right now. While he isn't questioning what Lance is trying to do he thinks it's pretty bad people are just buying them to look in. Like some people buying 10 and wearing them all at once. People have called in both supporting and slamming what he's saying. One guy called in saying his daughter is begging for one because "all the cool kids are wearing them". He's all for what Lance is doing but doesn't like the fact that people are selling them on e-bay for 10 bucks each. What's you're thoughts?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    I'm just wondering something. The local DJ here is talking about how people are now wearing the Lance bracelet because it's the "cool" thing to do fashion wise right now. While he isn't questioning what Lance is trying to do he thinks it's pretty bad people are just buying them to look in. Like some people buying 10 and wearing them all at once. People have called in both supporting and slamming what he's saying. One guy called in saying his daughter is begging for one because "all the cool kids are wearing them". He's all for what Lance is doing but doesn't like the fact that people are selling them on e-bay for 10 bucks each. What's you're thoughts?
    Sooo 10 minutes ago.

Real Men Cope
    Sadly I think folks have them because they are trendy. However Elliot is a lazy idiot who surounds himself with some of the biggest rednecks in Northern Va. He is like the demi god of white trash. Don't listen to a word he says about the Live Strong Bands being silly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Savage
    However Elliot is a lazy idiot who surounds himself with some of the biggest rednecks in Northern Va. He is like the demi god of white trash. Don't listen to a word he says about the Live Strong Bands being silly.
    I can agree with some of that, but I think he's hilarious. I have had to turn off my radio a few times in fear of my gag reflex going off with some of the things he's paid Kyle to do. Doesn't that boy have ANY self respect???? The horse thing the other week was a great example.

I don't believe he's slamming what Lance is doing, just the fact people are buying them to look trendy and how (supposedly) more and more people are wear symbolic bracelets for different reasons.

mtbr member
    What's you're thoughts?
    Who cares as long as the money raised goes towards cancer research? Lots of good things in life are done for the wrong reasons. It's like all the trendy people with messenger bags, it keeps those companies in business and still provides me with a bag for commuting. Why should I care if some people use it as a sign of social status? The money goes to the people I respect, whether they are bicycle accessory manufacturers or cancer researchers. In the end, it's all good.

(ff)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Two comments

If you have to ask if something's cool then it's not.

Elliott is a moron (but an entertaining one). I got pissed of at him for busting on Christopher Reves after he died. That was pretty tasteless.

Two wheels are best

It's funny, really...

A $1 yellow rubber band being a "cool" fashion statement.

I wear mine because my mother is a cancer survior and I think cause is a good one to support.

I've wondered "when" I should stop wearing it??? I'm not sure I ever will...
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ksechler

Elliott is a moron (but an entertaining one). I got pissed of at him for busting on Christopher Reves after he died. That was pretty tasteless.
    I agree. But then again, his job is to "stir the pot". I don't agree with everything he says or does but when that happens, I just turn off my radio.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

money

I think that the a-holes that sell them on ebay just to get a profit should die. Trying to make money off of a cancer fund? wow....pretty low
    i think if you can get your hands on a few (good luck) sell them on ebay for $10 a piece then send that money to lance....why not

mtbr member
    Making money for cancer research is a wonderful thing. If it means people are wearing little yellow bracelets as a fashion statement then so be it. Who knows maybe some of them will start riding too.
    People selling them for a profit on Ebay though are just soo soo lame!!!!!

mtbr member

Nah, if you're wearing it for the right reason...

I've had mine since the Spring when they were first released. The main reason (besides the fact that I'm a fan of Lance) that I felt compelled to buy them was a personal friend that was battling liver cancer. She has since passed away and I still wear mine in honor of her. I know that a lot of younger people wear them because it's the trendy thing to do. My babysitter saw mine and asked me where I got it, I gave her the story and she stated that she'd come close to buying one off of e-bay...for more than a buck obviously. I gave her one of the few that I have left. At 41 I really don't care about how trendy I am, I wear it for it's intended purpose.

Mythical Creature
    Supports a great cause and raises awareness of cycling - cool! Cool for me anyhow...Not sure about the "fasion" statement element though...
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    I'm just wondering something. The local DJ here is talking about how people are now wearing the Lance bracelet because it's the "cool" thing to do fashion wise right now.
    I think it's much more "cool" if people just sent the foundation some money and didn't worry about getting their bracelets. I would tend to agree with his questioning of why people are wearing them, but then again there's no test to determine whether or not you are 'worthy' to have them.
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

Real Men Cope
    Quote Originally Posted by ksechler

Elliott is a moron (but an entertaining one). .

Yah the he died you win bit is always funny. Think he'll have one for Arafat?

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Questioning or doubting the motives of people contributing to a charity is one of the wankiest and most uncharitable things a person can do. It is as bad as buying them to make a profit on Ebay. Unfortunately there are quite a few wankers out there.
    Wibble

Custom User Title
    I wear mine because the yellow really compliments the hazel of my eyes.

Ride what you want!!
    I don't know. I can't find a lot of fault that kids find it cool to support cancer charities. Yeah, some scumbag is milking these off of ebay but it still adds up to more money for the LAF.

There are a few around school here. I've broken two of mine already. I have a 3rd that has a tear in it so I wear it carefully. If I could find some locally I'd buy a couple more as spares.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scorcher seb
    Questioning or doubting the motives of people contributing to a charity is one of the wankiest and most uncharitable things a person can do. It is as bad as buying them to make a profit on Ebay. Unfortunately there are quite a few wankers out there.
    IMO the wankers are those that would buy their bracelets from any source other than LAF direct, just because they want to have one. If you really support the cause, send some dough their way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel
    I think it's much more "cool" if people just sent the foundation some money and didn't worry about getting their bracelets. I would tend to agree with his questioning of why people are wearing them.
    Yea... let's think about that... How much do you suppose LAF got before the bracelets... then after? Of course it is a good thing to donate to a charity with no hopes of some personal benefit, but how do you think those donations compare to the 'yellow bracelet" phenomenon? Who cares why they wear them anyway? I would rather dedicate that mental energy towards biking.

(ff)

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJD
    I've had mine since the Spring when they were first released. The main reason (besides the fact that I'm a fan of Lance) that I felt compelled to buy them was a personal friend that was battling liver cancer. She has since passed away and I still wear mine in honor of her. I know that a lot of younger people wear them because it's the trendy thing to do. My babysitter saw mine and asked me where I got it, I gave her the story and she stated that she'd come close to buying one off of e-bay...for more than a buck obviously. I gave her one of the few that I have left. At 41 I really don't care about how trendy I am, I wear it for it's intended purpose.
    I've had mine since they were first released. My father(about 6 yrs ago) and my father in law(last year) both passed away from cancer so it means alot. A few people at my work told me that I was gay for wearing a yellow bracelet. When I told them what it stood for, they asked if they could have one. I refused to give them one and told them where to get them. In retrospect, I should've just given them one but I didn't appreciate the judgement they made before even knowing what the bracelet was about.

It does seem like it is the "in" thing to do and I know alot of riders that are irritated that the yellow bracelet has gotten to that point. I could care less if it is cool or not. I wear it for the reasons stated above.

Laters
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

mtbr member

Why not....

Encourage the trend and get those same fashion concious kids to think about the cause that's making them cool. Then get them to sign up for the Ride for the Roses so they can meet the man live. It's really all about Lance bringing attention to such a worthy cause while he's still in the lime light. Burn it bright for LAF. That's my view.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Encourage the trend and get those same fashion concious kids to think about the cause that's making them cool.
    That made me remember the "hip" chain smoking dood sporting the bracelet that I saw last week.

Rolling
    They should be made in different colors like these...

http://www.sex-bracelets.com/

So not only will you be showing your support for cancer survivors*, you will showing everyone your sexual prowess.

(I don't have any of either of these bands)
    Last edited by lidarman; 11-09-2004 at 02:12 PM. Reason: correction "survivors"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by firefox
    Yea... let's think about that... How much do you suppose LAF got before the bracelets... then after? Of course it is a good thing to donate to a charity with no hopes of some personal benefit, but how do you think those donations compare to the 'yellow bracelet" phenomenon? Who cares why they wear them anyway? I would rather dedicate that mental energy towards biking.

(ff)
    Your reasoning is all wrong. I didn't make a judgement as to whether or not it is/was bad for LAF, but simply stated that people are wearing them for different reasons. Yes, even as a 'fashion statement'. And that's the lame part. Yes the foundation has garnered lots of attention and additional donations through the bracelets recognition, but unfortunately LAF is also getting screwed by counterfitters and those who buy them from sellers seeking profit simpy because they think it's 'cool' to have one.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast