Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lance yellow bracelet. Is it cool?

I'm just wondering something. The local DJ here is talking about how people are now wearing the Lance bracelet because it's the "cool" thing to do fashion wise right now. While he isn't questioning what Lance is trying to do he thinks it's pretty bad people are just buying them to look in. Like some people buying 10 and wearing them all at once. People have called in both supporting and slamming what he's saying. One guy called in saying his daughter is begging for one because "all the cool kids are wearing them". He's all for what Lance is doing but doesn't like the fact that people are selling them on e-bay for 10 bucks each. What's you're thoughts?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    I'm just wondering something. The local DJ here is talking about how people are now wearing the Lance bracelet because it's the "cool" thing to do fashion wise right now. While he isn't questioning what Lance is trying to do he thinks it's pretty bad people are just buying them to look in. Like some people buying 10 and wearing them all at once. People have called in both supporting and slamming what he's saying. One guy called in saying his daughter is begging for one because "all the cool kids are wearing them". He's all for what Lance is doing but doesn't like the fact that people are selling them on e-bay for 10 bucks each. What's you're thoughts?
    Sooo 10 minutes ago.

Real Men Cope
    Sadly I think folks have them because they are trendy. However Elliot is a lazy idiot who surounds himself with some of the biggest rednecks in Northern Va. He is like the demi god of white trash. Don't listen to a word he says about the Live Strong Bands being silly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Savage
    However Elliot is a lazy idiot who surounds himself with some of the biggest rednecks in Northern Va. He is like the demi god of white trash. Don't listen to a word he says about the Live Strong Bands being silly.
    I can agree with some of that, but I think he's hilarious. I have had to turn off my radio a few times in fear of my gag reflex going off with some of the things he's paid Kyle to do. Doesn't that boy have ANY self respect???? The horse thing the other week was a great example.

I don't believe he's slamming what Lance is doing, just the fact people are buying them to look trendy and how (supposedly) more and more people are wear symbolic bracelets for different reasons.

mtbr member
    What's you're thoughts?
    Who cares as long as the money raised goes towards cancer research? Lots of good things in life are done for the wrong reasons. It's like all the trendy people with messenger bags, it keeps those companies in business and still provides me with a bag for commuting. Why should I care if some people use it as a sign of social status? The money goes to the people I respect, whether they are bicycle accessory manufacturers or cancer researchers. In the end, it's all good.

(ff)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Two comments

If you have to ask if something's cool then it's not.

Elliott is a moron (but an entertaining one). I got pissed of at him for busting on Christopher Reves after he died. That was pretty tasteless.

Two wheels are best

It's funny, really...

A $1 yellow rubber band being a "cool" fashion statement.

I wear mine because my mother is a cancer survior and I think cause is a good one to support.

I've wondered "when" I should stop wearing it??? I'm not sure I ever will...
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ksechler

Elliott is a moron (but an entertaining one). I got pissed of at him for busting on Christopher Reves after he died. That was pretty tasteless.
    I agree. But then again, his job is to "stir the pot". I don't agree with everything he says or does but when that happens, I just turn off my radio.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

money

I think that the a-holes that sell them on ebay just to get a profit should die. Trying to make money off of a cancer fund? wow....pretty low
    i think if you can get your hands on a few (good luck) sell them on ebay for $10 a piece then send that money to lance....why not

mtbr member
    Making money for cancer research is a wonderful thing. If it means people are wearing little yellow bracelets as a fashion statement then so be it. Who knows maybe some of them will start riding too.
    People selling them for a profit on Ebay though are just soo soo lame!!!!!

mtbr member

Nah, if you're wearing it for the right reason...

I've had mine since the Spring when they were first released. The main reason (besides the fact that I'm a fan of Lance) that I felt compelled to buy them was a personal friend that was battling liver cancer. She has since passed away and I still wear mine in honor of her. I know that a lot of younger people wear them because it's the trendy thing to do. My babysitter saw mine and asked me where I got it, I gave her the story and she stated that she'd come close to buying one off of e-bay...for more than a buck obviously. I gave her one of the few that I have left. At 41 I really don't care about how trendy I am, I wear it for it's intended purpose.

Mythical Creature
    Supports a great cause and raises awareness of cycling - cool! Cool for me anyhow...Not sure about the "fasion" statement element though...
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    I'm just wondering something. The local DJ here is talking about how people are now wearing the Lance bracelet because it's the "cool" thing to do fashion wise right now.
    I think it's much more "cool" if people just sent the foundation some money and didn't worry about getting their bracelets. I would tend to agree with his questioning of why people are wearing them, but then again there's no test to determine whether or not you are 'worthy' to have them.
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

Real Men Cope

Elliott is a moron (but an entertaining one). .

Yah the he died you win bit is always funny. Think he'll have one for Arafat?

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Questioning or doubting the motives of people contributing to a charity is one of the wankiest and most uncharitable things a person can do. It is as bad as buying them to make a profit on Ebay. Unfortunately there are quite a few wankers out there.
    Wibble

Custom User Title
    I wear mine because the yellow really compliments the hazel of my eyes.

Ride what you want!!
    I don't know. I can't find a lot of fault that kids find it cool to support cancer charities. Yeah, some scumbag is milking these off of ebay but it still adds up to more money for the LAF.

There are a few around school here. I've broken two of mine already. I have a 3rd that has a tear in it so I wear it carefully. If I could find some locally I'd buy a couple more as spares.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scorcher seb
    Questioning or doubting the motives of people contributing to a charity is one of the wankiest and most uncharitable things a person can do. It is as bad as buying them to make a profit on Ebay. Unfortunately there are quite a few wankers out there.
    IMO the wankers are those that would buy their bracelets from any source other than LAF direct, just because they want to have one. If you really support the cause, send some dough their way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel
    I think it's much more "cool" if people just sent the foundation some money and didn't worry about getting their bracelets. I would tend to agree with his questioning of why people are wearing them.
    Yea... let's think about that... How much do you suppose LAF got before the bracelets... then after? Of course it is a good thing to donate to a charity with no hopes of some personal benefit, but how do you think those donations compare to the 'yellow bracelet" phenomenon? Who cares why they wear them anyway? I would rather dedicate that mental energy towards biking.

(ff)

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJD
    I've had mine since the Spring when they were first released. The main reason (besides the fact that I'm a fan of Lance) that I felt compelled to buy them was a personal friend that was battling liver cancer. She has since passed away and I still wear mine in honor of her. I know that a lot of younger people wear them because it's the trendy thing to do. My babysitter saw mine and asked me where I got it, I gave her the story and she stated that she'd come close to buying one off of e-bay...for more than a buck obviously. I gave her one of the few that I have left. At 41 I really don't care about how trendy I am, I wear it for it's intended purpose.
    I've had mine since they were first released. My father(about 6 yrs ago) and my father in law(last year) both passed away from cancer so it means alot. A few people at my work told me that I was gay for wearing a yellow bracelet. When I told them what it stood for, they asked if they could have one. I refused to give them one and told them where to get them. In retrospect, I should've just given them one but I didn't appreciate the judgement they made before even knowing what the bracelet was about.

It does seem like it is the "in" thing to do and I know alot of riders that are irritated that the yellow bracelet has gotten to that point. I could care less if it is cool or not. I wear it for the reasons stated above.

Laters
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

mtbr member

Why not....

Encourage the trend and get those same fashion concious kids to think about the cause that's making them cool. Then get them to sign up for the Ride for the Roses so they can meet the man live. It's really all about Lance bringing attention to such a worthy cause while he's still in the lime light. Burn it bright for LAF. That's my view.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Encourage the trend and get those same fashion concious kids to think about the cause that's making them cool.
    That made me remember the "hip" chain smoking dood sporting the bracelet that I saw last week.

Rolling
    They should be made in different colors like these...

http://www.sex-bracelets.com/

So not only will you be showing your support for cancer survivors*, you will showing everyone your sexual prowess.

(I don't have any of either of these bands)
    Last edited by lidarman; 11-09-2004 at 02:12 PM. Reason: correction "survivors"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by firefox
    Yea... let's think about that... How much do you suppose LAF got before the bracelets... then after? Of course it is a good thing to donate to a charity with no hopes of some personal benefit, but how do you think those donations compare to the 'yellow bracelet" phenomenon? Who cares why they wear them anyway? I would rather dedicate that mental energy towards biking.

(ff)
    Your reasoning is all wrong. I didn't make a judgement as to whether or not it is/was bad for LAF, but simply stated that people are wearing them for different reasons. Yes, even as a 'fashion statement'. And that's the lame part. Yes the foundation has garnered lots of attention and additional donations through the bracelets recognition, but unfortunately LAF is also getting screwed by counterfitters and those who buy them from sellers seeking profit simpy because they think it's 'cool' to have one.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    They should be made in different colors ...
    They are. Search "baller". Thank nike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What are your thoughts?
    I didn't pay for mine; it was a gift from a friend of Sheryl Crow.

I wear it most days. When I look at it, it reminds me that even though I have cancer, I should try to appreciate each day and treat everyone with respect. That's what "Live Strong" means to me under the circumstances.

I like to watch Lance ride in the Tour. His victories help me a great deal.

Don't underestimate the power of his example to give people hope. The wristbands remind me of hope no matter who wears them or why.

mtbr member
    Your reasoning is all wrong.
    Specifically, which reasoning is all wrong? You said you would agree to his questioning why people wear them. I think that criticizing the fashion phenomenon independent of the monetary benefit seems a bit misplaced. It would be quite difficult to generate the fiscal benefit seen from this event had it not become so trendy. They are one in the same. It is unlikely to have one and not the other... and vice versa. If it benefits a good cause... no one should worry. These same people are gonna spend their money on things they deem fashionable regardless, be happy they are spending it on the LAF.

I didn't make a judgement as to whether or not it is/was bad for LAF, but simply stated that people are wearing them for different reasons.
    I didn't say you did...

Yes, even as a 'fashion statement'. And that's the lame part.
    Who cares if it is lame or fashionable?

Yes the foundation has garnered lots of attention and additional donations through the bracelets recognition, but unfortunately LAF is also getting screwed by counterfitters and those who buy them from sellers seeking profit simpy because they think it's 'cool' to have one.
    A side effect of all things of this nature. Impossible to avoid as they come hand in hand.

(ff)

mtbr member
    Whatever, dude. I'm glad you think it's ok for people to benefit financially and illegaly from LAF's idea. My opinion is that people who cheat the LAF by selling for personal profit or buying outside the foundation for fashion purposes are lame.

"These same people are gonna spend their money on things they deem fashionable regardless, be happy they are spending it on the LAF."

Once again, many are not. They buy fakes or 'for profit' bracelets.

mtbr member

------

-----
    Last edited by firefox; 11-09-2004 at 02:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Whatever, dude. I'm glad you think it's ok for people to benefit financially and illegaly from LAF's idea. My opinion is that people who cheat the LAF by selling for personal profit or buying outside the foundation for fashion purposes are lame.

"These same people are gonna spend their money on things they deem fashionable regardless, be happy they are spending it on the LAF."

Once again, many are not. They buy fakes or 'for profit' bracelets.
    Classic! You say one thing, but when challenged to substantiate it you respond with "whatever dude" and follow it up with more inaccurate statements... Let your brilliance shine.

(ff)

mtbr member
    Classic! You say one thing, but when challenged to substantiate it you respond with "whatever dude" and follow it up with more inaccurate statements... Let your brilliance shine.

(ff)
    Wrongo! I originally said I might question why some people have them. You took my original comment and edited it to suit to your argument without taking the full context of the comment into consideration.
    Shine on super star!

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Couple of thoughts to add here.

Not sure if someone's mentioned this, but the LAF foundation and the proceeds from the LiveStrong wristbands do not go to cancer research, per se. At least not in the sense that you might be thinking of. They towards supporting families and children of cancer survivors or those living with cancer. So if you're going to claim to wear it for a good cause, at least understand why you're wearing it.

I wear one. Well, several - some have broken and I've replaced them. But I've had one on my right wrist since June, when LAF first announced this initiative, when the first advertised in Bicycling magazine and the like. Not knowing that this would take off as some fashion statement, I immediately embraced this simple token for two reasons: a) I've lost several family members to cancer and have an aunt who's a cancer survivor - I wear this in honor of them, and b) I wear the bracelet as a 'badge' of sorts to my cycling hobby. Obviously the latter reason quickly become wholly irrelevant seeing as just about any schmoe now wears a LiveStrong wristband for a variety of reasons under the sun.

mtbr member
    Wrongo! I originally said I might question why some people have them. You took my original comment and edited it to suit to your argument without taking the full context of the comment into consideration.
    Shine on super star!
    R-E-A-D what I wrote.

(ff)

mtbr member
    R-E-A-D what I wrote.

(ff)
    Exactly!
    Here's me - I think people who wear them as a fashion statement are lame, but I realize LAF benefits even from this. Who am I to judge who's worthy to wear them. But it's unfortunate that LAF gets screwed by counterfitters and for profit sellers

Here's you - it does't matter. LAF is better off with the exposure.

Here's me - I didn't make a judgement as to whether or not it is/was bad for LAF, but simply stated that people are wearing them for different reasons. Yes, even as a 'fashion statement'. And that's the lame part.

Here's you - Who cares if it is lame or fashionable?

Here's me - It's just my opinion, not docterine. I'm not the fashion police.

Here's you - it does't matter. LAF is better off with the exposure. Money and exposure come hand in hand.

Here's me - I recognize that dumb ass! I'm just saying there's an unfortunate side

Here you - Classic! You say one thing, but when challenged to substantiate it you respond with "whatever dude" and follow it up with more inaccurate statements...

Here's me - I can't say two things?

Here's you - ...... (awaiting)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I had one for a while, until it broke. I didn't wear it because it was "in" or "cool" or "hip". I wore it because everyday I go out into the world and give all I can give... whether it's academic or physical. It took a trip to Philmont until I recognized this. We only have one life, you can do anything once, so you might as well just try your hardest and make the most of it. Push yourself at whatever your talents may be... mine just happen to be both academic and physical (snowboarding, biking, open-boating). You can sport the LiveSTRONG band as long as you are living strong... mentally and/or physically. Make the best of your life, and the best for others, give all you've got every day, refuse to see tomorrow as just another day, rather an opportunity to make history. By livingstrong you are expected to do much more. Accept the challenge or take the band off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I think its pretty lame that people wear it just to be cool or because its trendy. But hey, what can you do?

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004

Good job!

I'm a cancer survivor (Hodgkin's Disease (lymphoma) in 1991), went through chemo, radiation, surgery, the whole 9 yards. I ride (a lot) and I'm a huge Lance fan. So yeah, I wear one. I don't give a damn what anyone thinks about it.

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    IMO the wankers are those that would buy their bracelets from any source other than LAF direct, just because they want to have one. If you really support the cause, send some dough their way.

Actually, there are lots "sold" in return for contributions to local cancer charities. Many bands have been sold in countries where the LAF doesn't yet have an active presence. If someone in France buys a batch of 10 and gives 9 away in return for the recipient giving a donation to a French cancer charity, does that make that person a wanker? I don't think so, and given that both charities benefit where they might have previously received nothing, I can't see them seeing it that way either.
    Wibble

mtbr member
    I live in a relativley secluded place, but I've never seen these for sale anywhere. I've never even seen anyone wearing one. Are they hard to come by now as some have suggested? I just read Rick Reily's editorial in SI about "Banding Together". Apparently over 20,000,000 of them have been sold with most of tha money going to help cancer victims and their families. That's cool in my book . 10 kids were disqualified from their high school cross country track final for wearing "jewelry" because they had them on. That's not cool.

Forget work- let's ride!

I'm with you MTP!

Quote Originally Posted by MTP
    I'm a cancer survivor (Hodgkin's Disease (lymphoma) in 1991), went through chemo, radiation, surgery, the whole 9 yards. I ride (a lot) and I'm a huge Lance fan. So yeah, I wear one. I don't give a damn what anyone thinks about it.
    In 1994 I had a lump removed from my thyroid that turned out to be cancerous. As a result, I had to have half of my thyroid removed and must be on medication for the rest of my life. While I didn't have to go through the hell of the treatments as you did, it was still quite the ordeal.

So while I do believe these are currenlty in vogue (along with the blue Live Smart) bracelets, I will be wearing mine long after they are out of fashion.

Live Strong and Ride Hard
    I'm trying to think but nothing happens!

wait a minute....

i dont wear it

because i dont like stuff on my wrist.i did buy a box of 50 from my lbs to make the donation.i dont guess it is so bad to sell them for $10 if you can find someone stupid enough to buy it.i gave all mine away .

banned
    Apr 2004

uncool bright ass yellow plastic

they should of been made out of more earthy material like hemp rope and hippie wooden beads.

Esperanza

Just like anything else in life. Once its cool...its not cool anymore

Trail rider and racer
    I don't think the bracelets are cool but they go to a very cool cause and thus everyone is wearing them.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

one of my favorite radio dj's:

a lot of superheros playing golf together one afternoon:
    batman - got my handicap down to 15 i'm doing pretty good lately whats your handicap captain america
    captain america - mines 27 i suck
    batman - yeah that sucks bad, whats yours wonderwoman
    wonderwoman - i max it out at 32
    batman - jeez you guys suck, whats your handicap superman?
    superman - i can't walk

i don't know who writes those, and he later said it was wrong, but a week earlier they had some guy singing a song about what killed superman...

Enjoying Every Sandwich
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I don't think the bracelets are cool but they go to a very cool cause and thus everyone is wearing them.

I'm building a single speed and plan to have one around the area of where the top tube and down tube meet.

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    I wear one for all the right reasons. I survived cancer in 2000 and Lance's foundation paid over $50,000 of my treatments. Now four years later I turned pro and got a ride from Santa Cruz after being dropped by ALL my sponsors. Lance has done two things that no other athlete has ever done. Given people hope that they can overcome ANYTHING and started a trend that has helped thousands of people combat a serious illness. Lance is and always will be my hero. Now all I have to do is win 7 NORBA titles in a row. As for the people selling them on e-bay for profit...SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Balls to the wall until you see god. Turn Left!

34N 118W

LiveWRONG

black is cool.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopage...sortpropertyZ1
    Attached Images Attached Images

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004

Smile

[QUOTE=mtbvampire]In 1994 I had a lump removed from my thyroid that turned out to be cancerous. As a result, I had to have half of my thyroid removed and must be on medication for the rest of my life. While I didn't have to go through the hell of the treatments as you did, it was still quite the ordeal.

Right on Vampire. Hope you stay well and ride long!

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dhtahoe
    I survived cancer in 2000 and Lance's foundation paid over $50,000 of my treatments.
    WOW!!!

Is that something the foundation does on a regular basis? I'm assuming they don't cover everyone with cancer, but is there an application and screening process involved or were they referred to you or...???

Dr. Porkenheimer

You people are pathetic!

You're not supposed to wear it around your wrist.... ;-O

Rolling
    I don't like that visual...especially with you Matt ;-)

..but you think my wife might like it? Maybe they have some at that place near 28th and Valmont.

Keep The Rubber Side Down

I ware mine because...

it's yellow!! (hint... hint)

and because the $ goes to a great cause.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

Borg

I wear a yellow band, my family wears yellow bands, my emploees wear yellow, I am working hard on becomeing a cancer survivor but have a ways to go yet. I miss riding but figure the trails will be waiting. Cool? I'm in it for the support. LAF have raised over 20 million dollars so that's very cool. As for selling the $1 braclets for $10 on ebay, there are asses born everyday. I will be back on the trail later this spring....without fail.

Mark

Crooooow!

Upset the Exxon station sells them along with yellow ribbons for cars!

it is sad that even the local gas station sells them (fakes)...and they pocket the money

Giant Anthem Rider

Wear the the LAF originals and be happy...

I just ignore the yellow band fakes, the Ebay jerks, and the ignorant "Live Wrong"s. Its been said that there is no such thing as bad publicity so ignoring them all would be a much better way to go. I just wear the authentic band because I know I'm doing a good thing, and if some people think its a cool fashion statement then so be it. I'm not going to judge any one or say I was one of the first to get a band. And as for donating money instead of the band is very nice but doesn't get the word out as well. The best thing would be to do both if you are able.

pb2

a brits angle

First off we could not buy these in the uk, a friend who is a LA nut wanted two, one for him and one for his daughter who was waiting on a brain opp and the message "livestrong" just seemed so right, so I offered to pick some up on my next business trip to America and guess what, every where I tried were long sold out, so reluctantly I bought two off ebay rather than let a friend down.

And heres the sting in the tale, the shops were short becuase so many get rich quick ebay arseholes had bought everything in sight which in turn caused ebay prices to drop like a very heavy stone, I paid $1.30 for two on ebay, so by the time you calculate the time the speculator used buying them, listing them, handling payment and sorting out postage I reckon someone is well out of pocket and I for one was delighted, made me feel maybe there is god with a sense of humour , the moral of this little story is the speculating on charities is immoral and I hope loads of you ebayers suffered heavy losses, Paul 2

mtbr member
    Wow, I thought they were going to stop selling them after the 2004 tour but I was dead wrong! I am amazed at how manny non-cyceist wear them!
    --Miles Graydon
    7 Year bike Mechanic 5 year MTB, Road, and Cross racer
    Jamis Eclipse (18 Lb. road bike Dura Ace)
    Jamis Nova (21.8Lb. Cross bike Ultegra)
    Devinci Mt. bike (21.5 Lb. hard tail, King, Sram 9.0)
    Dirt Uni (Off road Unicycle, XT cranks, Nokian Gozzaloddi 3.0 tire)
    My Bike Page

immature forever!
    Feb 2004

searching in Australia

To all those who have survived & to those who have only left us great memories - that's why I'm looking at getting some. There doesn't seem to be a LAF foundation/supplier in Australia that I can find so I'll be going direct. Is it cool to wear them? Who really cares! I do it for for the memories & for the friends that have survived!
    BEER - Technically a vegetarian meal!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I wonder if these bands are worth something now to some sick collectors.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

AZ
    banned
    Nice! Thread dredge Friday! I think the new law suit requires all yellow bracelets to be destroyed and the wearers to be publicly admonished.

El Gato Malo
    With millions in circulation the only ones worth anything would be those worn by Pharmstrong himself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Wouldn't it be ironic if those ugly things were loaded with phthalates and lead and caused more cancer than they cured? I for one am glad I never joined this cult of personality; everyone that ever did was scammed.

mtbr member
    From day 1 have never thought they were cool. They look rather silly and I have never been one to feel the the need show off about a cause. I am not taking a dig at the Livestrong Organization, but just the idea the if you wore one of these it mean you somehow cared more than everyone else. - Both my father and wife are cancer survivors and I care, but I don't need some bracelet to show it.

Don't put people on a pedestal as it will hurt when they fall. Look Lance was a great cyclist. Doped or not he still won a lot of races and I give him credit for beating cancer. However he is still just a human being flaws and all. He never should have been elevate to some mythical status. Those that did not have to watch him fall off that pedestal they put him on. I never put him on pedestal so in my eyes he does not have far to fall.

BTW... I do respect his achievements on using his fame and situation to create a charitable organization for cancer. That is good, but it does not make him a hero.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

The dope may have caused his cancer - it's very uncommon. As to the the "organization" - just a PR agency to promote the the figurehead. What a scam.

mtbr member
    Scratch out the "v" in LIVESTRONG so it says LIESTRONG and you're set!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Scratch out the "v" in LIVESTRONG so it says LIESTRONG and you're set!
    That is funny right there....

Still lets not put down the organization and foundation for the actions of Lance. There are a lot of people running the foundation these days that had nothing to do with Lance's riding or doping. They just want to support those with cancer. And I still give credit to Lance lending is name, story, time and money to creating the foundation in the first place. Nobody forced him to do it so he deserves some kudos for starting it all.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    The dope may have caused his cancer - it's very uncommon. As to the the "organization" - just a PR agency to promote the the figurehead. What a scam.
    while I won't argue that that happened, I will argue about the accomplishments of the organization. you are flat wrong. and testicular cancer is not that uncommon. I know guys who had it, and who did not take PED's for anything.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Funny thing is I was digging through the archives looking for a particular thread that had nothing to do with Lance. I happened upon this thread and thought the timing couldn't be more perfect. So I relaunched it and gave it a second life. Thinking it may create some good conversation. It seems to have hit a mark or two. .
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

mtbr member
    FWIW, Livestrong is a great organization. Lance is a fraud, and how you extricate the two from each other (especially 9 years ago, when this thread was active) is tricky, but to say that people were scammed because they wore the bracelets is a little much. It's still a good organization doing great things for thousands and thousands of people. I still wear my band because it reminds me of my dad, my mom my cousins and friends who have had and some died from cancer. I've done a few events as a member of the Livestrong team and I don't regret it. I've never been a "Fan" of any rider, any sports figure, any band, etc- I appreciate the hell out of top riders, good athletes, and am an avid music listener, but Lance was never on a pedestal for me, and Livestrong was never about Lance or some sort of followership. It was about combining something I'm passionate about (cycling) with an effort to make a difference in a cause I care about and have been very personally affected by. It wasn't about Lance before, and it's not about Lance now.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    while I won't argue that that happened, I will argue about the accomplishments of the organization. you are flat wrong. and testicular cancer is not that uncommon. I know guys who had it, and who did not take PED's for anything.
    The PR agency's sole purpose as of late was to promote the "dear leader" - maybe in the old days they believed in more ...

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor...-Lab-Rats.html

gobsmacked Moderator
    Ugh! Another Lance thread! He made so much money he had to donate money or it would all go to taxes. So of course he chose one all about himself being the narcissist he is.

There are two organizations though. One for profit and one not for profit but do a search online to see how much went into research and how much went into PR/Marketing. I'm not completely dissing it as I think it has a chance, now that it has cut off Lance and seen the bad side of PR, to do some good.

mtbr member
    I read that article and it shows how both Lance and Livestrong are intertwined. Livestrong got is donations because of Lance and naturally he uses that is a good PR machine. Now that Lance is all bad PR will Livestrong die? Who knows. Fact is when any business or person with PR interest donates to a charity or sets up foundation there is an aspect of PR benefit. She there is a desire to help, but there is also an expectation that there will be good publicity as well. Charities like hooking up famous people and well know companies because the bring attention to charity. The number one goal of most charities is be self sustaining in that the generate donations. You can't do that if nobody knows who you are.
    Joe

gobsmacked Moderator
    We should just ask Lance Armstrong if they're cool. He just posted in the latest bike purchase thread. Woo hoo!

Cow Clicker
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Cow Clicker
    It's like when potheads wear DARE t-shirts.

turtles make me hot
    I have never cared for Lance's cocky attitude.
    I have never worn the yellow bracelets. I do, however wear a blue one that says prevent child abuse . org on it.
    I also have a green one my son and I won doing a scavenger hunt while on vacation last summer. He always checks to see that I'm wearing it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I read a recent piece on line that discussed this specific issue. The writer (who had the appropriate background for the topic at hand) discussed this in terms of medical literature review and did not see any direct links between LAs particular type of cancer and the types of PEDs he used.

Personally, I took off my Livestrong band a number of years ago when I realized that LA was not who we thought. I have strong criticisms of the LiveStrong.org/LiveStrong.com business model; however, as a cancer survivor and a member of a family with a genetic predisposition to several types of cancer, I'd give cancer patients, survivors, caregivers and supporters all the space they need to find inspiration and help where they can.

I'm also old enough to remember when a cancer diagnosis was truly a stigma; it was considered a death sentence that people discussed in hushed tones or not at all--so anything that continues to remove that stigma and provide resources has an important role.

Peace out.

P.S. Speaking of outdated stuff, I had to add this: I saw a car sporting a set of these Texas license plates today and was really glad I never opted for one.
    Seven-time Tour de France bicycling champion and native Texan Lance Armstrong has made it onto a Texas license plate. The specialty plate featuring the iconic image of the bicycle hero is now available. The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) and county tax assessor-collector’s offices are offering the Share the Road specialty plate for Texas motorists to display on their vehicles and promote cycling throughout Texas.
    The Share the Road specialty plate raises funds to support bicyclist safety, education, and access through education and awareness programs. This specialty plate features an image of Lance Armstrong in his tour-winning yellow jersey riding a bicycle in front of the Texas flag. The phrase “Share the Road Y’all” runs along the bottom.
    Last edited by June Bug; 02-08-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Don't put people on a pedestal as it will hurt when they fall. Look Lance was a great cyclist. Doped or not he still won a lot of races and I give him credit for beating cancer. However he is still just a human being flaws and all. He never should have been elevate to some mythical status. Those that did not have to watch him fall off that pedestal they put him on. I never put him on pedestal so in my eyes he does not have far to fall.

BTW... I do respect his achievements on using his fame and situation to create a charitable organization for cancer. That is good, but it does not make him a hero.
    Good post
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

AZ
    banned
    I would imagine that some people are still in denial, its kinda like finding out that the Easter Bunny isn't real.

mtbr member
    My mom got me a yellow livestrong nike dri fit tee for xmas. Im not one for bright clothes or dumb sayings (it has a huge "Fight Like Hell" print on it). Its a shame because its really comfortable, and great on the trails, but ive only worn it once riding and am a bit reluctant to wear it outside the house.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I would imagine that some people are still in denial, its kinda like finding out that the Easter Bunny isn't real.
    This is a great comparison!

As a country we've started to really get into this cult of personality thing lately - look at the way some politicians are treated by their "fans" the last couple years. Both left and right seem to have theses cult-like figures now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Good thoughts Joe
    All "Media" are looking for stories and Lance was a big one. When the media go to work on someone like Lance they get 3 types of stories. #1 the actual reporting of the sporting event. #2 Build up (put on a pedestal) the protagonist #3 Find fault with the protagonist and knock him off the pedestal. The masses gobble it up every day.
    The entertainment media is the worst offender but it's all bad.
    Appreciate the actions and deeds of people but don't expect them to be anything other than talented at what they do.
    RM

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The bracelet should be about the foundation, not Lance. As such, it really shouldn't matter if you love him or hate him...the foundation is doing an amazing thing for folks with cancer and it needs all the support we can provide it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Happycoop View Post
    The bracelet should be about the foundation, not Lance. As such, it really shouldn't matter if you love him or hate him...the foundation is doing an amazing thing for folks with cancer and it needs all the support we can provide it.
    Read the outside article and see what you think ...

I'm just messing with you
    No public judgement on Lance from me, but it's pretty obvious he brings out the worst in everyone.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Um, back to Livestrong, what an interesting situation. There is no denying that the LS stuff helped 1000s of people. But yeah, I saw those bracelets in the store yesterday and can't see anyone buying one now. He trashed it.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Ohhh ... I hate you

banned
    Aug 2012
    Livestrong is tied at the hip, to Lance ... To bad they made him their ONLY posterboy.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'd definitely wear one of those bracelets now. Just for the irony of it! thanks for digging up this gem of a thread!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    My mom got me a yellow livestrong nike dri fit tee for xmas. Im not one for bright clothes or dumb sayings (it has a huge "Fight Like Hell" print on it). Its a shame because its really comfortable, and great on the trails, but ive only worn it once riding and am a bit reluctant to wear it outside the house.
    Just cut out a rectangle of fabric with something interesting on it and stitch it to the front of your shirt.
    inside-out is an option too!

mtbr member
    I wore it yesterday, felt like a clown but whatever. Also got some weird bear jersey from the store that cannot be spoken, its eating a salmon - new cycling jersey.

I see these things making a come back. People love to be sarcastic/ironic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    .I see these things making a come back. People love to be sarcastic/ironic.
    What drug are you on? You do realise LA was a fraudster, people don't like to be cheated or conned, so I'm guessing you are not from this planet!
    Wear you're LA merchanise with pride.

Cow Clicker
    I think he meant like hipsters or potheads wearing DARE t-shirts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Exactly.

mtbr member
    I have 2 of those yellow bands at work, Wrapping up the cords to some power strips....

Maybe I should..... nah..
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

It's about showing up.
    The Lance bands have always been cool and always will be, foul currents notwithstanding. The opportunity to cast aspersions to that easily maligned "hipster" batch of cyclists and Lance at the same time, seems too hard for many to miss.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    I don't see it happening, but he did mention he wore his clown tshirt and "whatever", maybe he is a hipster, who knows, so what you said could be true, lol....I take it back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    The Lance bands have always been cool and always will be, foul currents notwithstanding.
    They were never cool. They did a good job of identifying who followed Lance's cult of personality however - I bet most bracket wearers also had a copy of "Three cups of Tea" on a bookshelves somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast