Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Cow Clicker
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Cow Clicker
    It's like when potheads wear DARE t-shirts.

turtles make me hot
    I have never cared for Lance's cocky attitude.
    I have never worn the yellow bracelets. I do, however wear a blue one that says prevent child abuse . org on it.
    I also have a green one my son and I won doing a scavenger hunt while on vacation last summer. He always checks to see that I'm wearing it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    while I won't argue that that happened, I will argue about the accomplishments of the organization. you are flat wrong. and testicular cancer is not that uncommon. I know guys who had it, and who did not take PED's for anything.
    I read a recent piece on line that discussed this specific issue. The writer (who had the appropriate background for the topic at hand) discussed this in terms of medical literature review and did not see any direct links between LAs particular type of cancer and the types of PEDs he used.

Personally, I took off my Livestrong band a number of years ago when I realized that LA was not who we thought. I have strong criticisms of the LiveStrong.org/LiveStrong.com business model; however, as a cancer survivor and a member of a family with a genetic predisposition to several types of cancer, I'd give cancer patients, survivors, caregivers and supporters all the space they need to find inspiration and help where they can.

I'm also old enough to remember when a cancer diagnosis was truly a stigma; it was considered a death sentence that people discussed in hushed tones or not at all--so anything that continues to remove that stigma and provide resources has an important role.

Peace out.

P.S. Speaking of outdated stuff, I had to add this: I saw a car sporting a set of these Texas license plates today and was really glad I never opted for one.
    Seven-time Tour de France bicycling champion and native Texan Lance Armstrong has made it onto a Texas license plate. The specialty plate featuring the iconic image of the bicycle hero is now available. The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) and county tax assessor-collector’s offices are offering the Share the Road specialty plate for Texas motorists to display on their vehicles and promote cycling throughout Texas.
    The Share the Road specialty plate raises funds to support bicyclist safety, education, and access through education and awareness programs. This specialty plate features an image of Lance Armstrong in his tour-winning yellow jersey riding a bicycle in front of the Texas flag. The phrase “Share the Road Y’all” runs along the bottom.
    Last edited by June Bug; 02-08-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Don't put people on a pedestal as it will hurt when they fall. Look Lance was a great cyclist. Doped or not he still won a lot of races and I give him credit for beating cancer. However he is still just a human being flaws and all. He never should have been elevate to some mythical status. Those that did not have to watch him fall off that pedestal they put him on. I never put him on pedestal so in my eyes he does not have far to fall.

BTW... I do respect his achievements on using his fame and situation to create a charitable organization for cancer. That is good, but it does not make him a hero.
    Good post
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

AZ
    banned
    I would imagine that some people are still in denial, its kinda like finding out that the Easter Bunny isn't real.

mtbr member
    My mom got me a yellow livestrong nike dri fit tee for xmas. Im not one for bright clothes or dumb sayings (it has a huge "Fight Like Hell" print on it). Its a shame because its really comfortable, and great on the trails, but ive only worn it once riding and am a bit reluctant to wear it outside the house.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Lance yellow bracelet. Is it cool?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I would imagine that some people are still in denial, its kinda like finding out that the Easter Bunny isn't real.
    This is a great comparison!

As a country we've started to really get into this cult of personality thing lately - look at the way some politicians are treated by their "fans" the last couple years. Both left and right seem to have theses cult-like figures now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Don't put people on a pedestal as it will hurt when they fall. Look Lance was a great cyclist. Doped or not he still won a lot of races and I give him credit for beating cancer. However he is still just a human being flaws and all. He never should have been elevate to some mythical status. Those that did not have to watch him fall off that pedestal they put him on. I never put him on pedestal so in my eyes he does not have far to fall.
    Good thoughts Joe
    All "Media" are looking for stories and Lance was a big one. When the media go to work on someone like Lance they get 3 types of stories. #1 the actual reporting of the sporting event. #2 Build up (put on a pedestal) the protagonist #3 Find fault with the protagonist and knock him off the pedestal. The masses gobble it up every day.
    The entertainment media is the worst offender but it's all bad.
    Appreciate the actions and deeds of people but don't expect them to be anything other than talented at what they do.
    RM

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The bracelet should be about the foundation, not Lance. As such, it really shouldn't matter if you love him or hate him...the foundation is doing an amazing thing for folks with cancer and it needs all the support we can provide it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Happycoop View Post
    The bracelet should be about the foundation, not Lance. As such, it really shouldn't matter if you love him or hate him...the foundation is doing an amazing thing for folks with cancer and it needs all the support we can provide it.
    Read the outside article and see what you think ...

human dehumidifier
    No public judgement on Lance from me, but it's pretty obvious he brings out the worst in everyone.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Um, back to Livestrong, what an interesting situation. There is no denying that the LS stuff helped 1000s of people. But yeah, I saw those bracelets in the store yesterday and can't see anyone buying one now. He trashed it.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Ohhh ... I hate you

banned
    Aug 2012
    Livestrong is tied at the hip, to Lance ... To bad they made him their ONLY posterboy.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'd definitely wear one of those bracelets now. Just for the irony of it! thanks for digging up this gem of a thread!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    My mom got me a yellow livestrong nike dri fit tee for xmas. Im not one for bright clothes or dumb sayings (it has a huge "Fight Like Hell" print on it). Its a shame because its really comfortable, and great on the trails, but ive only worn it once riding and am a bit reluctant to wear it outside the house.
    Just cut out a rectangle of fabric with something interesting on it and stitch it to the front of your shirt.
    inside-out is an option too!

mtbr member
    I wore it yesterday, felt like a clown but whatever. Also got some weird bear jersey from the store that cannot be spoken, its eating a salmon - new cycling jersey.

I see these things making a come back. People love to be sarcastic/ironic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    .I see these things making a come back. People love to be sarcastic/ironic.
    What drug are you on? You do realise LA was a fraudster, people don't like to be cheated or conned, so I'm guessing you are not from this planet!
    Wear you're LA merchanise with pride.

Cow Clicker
    I think he meant like hipsters or potheads wearing DARE t-shirts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Exactly.

mtbr member
    I have 2 of those yellow bands at work, Wrapping up the cords to some power strips....

Maybe I should..... nah..
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

It's about showing up.
    The Lance bands have always been cool and always will be, foul currents notwithstanding. The opportunity to cast aspersions to that easily maligned "hipster" batch of cyclists and Lance at the same time, seems too hard for many to miss.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    I don't see it happening, but he did mention he wore his clown tshirt and "whatever", maybe he is a hipster, who knows, so what you said could be true, lol....I take it back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    The Lance bands have always been cool and always will be, foul currents notwithstanding.
    They were never cool. They did a good job of identifying who followed Lance's cult of personality however - I bet most bracket wearers also had a copy of "Three cups of Tea" on a bookshelves somewhere.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast