Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Lance Armstrong finally to come clean?

I just read a news release announcing that Lance has agreed to an exclusive interview with Oprah Winfrey to discuss his use of drugs. This is scheduled to air 1-17-13. I think he is going to fess up. What do you think?

I'll try to post the link to the article.

Lance Armstrong to Speak With Oprah Winfrey on Doping Scandal - ABC News

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I hate it when I'm forced to watch Oprah.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Drazil's possibly right, but I'm not sure when he was deposed last and what the statute of limitations for perjury is.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Forget Oprah, Barbara Walters would get the truth out.

mtbr member
    you think off camera he'll snap one of those yellow wristbands in his eye to induce a tear for effect when the camera turns to him? I mean this is a sad sympathy/money grab for both from both.

wtf? seriously, who at this point would watch this crap? nevermind. i know the answer to that.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

CS2
    mtbr member
    From what I've heard/seen he's been working on a deal with USADA on confessing. USADA obviously promised him something in return for the public confession. Whether he get's his Tour titles back or can compete in triathalons remains to be seen.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The best part of this is it will be on Oprah.

If he totally comes clean, future generations will read cycling anthologies full of stories about Merkx and his attacks, Hinnault and his tenacity, Moser and the hour record and LA's confession on Oprah, lol....

mtbr member
    There have been several analysis' of the affect this would have since the story was first floated last week. The consensus seems to be that Lance would open himself to less than 20 million in paybacks and costs (so all in, and maybe as lil as 10) but no jail time (and maybe no criminal charges) as the SOL has run on almost everything. These aren't my conclusions, so I can't vouch for any of it. To me, the more interesting question is what will this do to his legacy/brand.

And of course he might just hold fast with the 'no, no, no it wasn't me' story.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail6 View Post
    Forget Oprah, Barbara Walters would get the truth out.
    good call, Trail. she could make the money shot happen. she makes everybody cry!
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    He should confess to Howard Stern instead...lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    From what I've heard/seen he's been working on a deal with USADA on confessing. USADA obviously promised him something in return for the public confession. Whether he get's his Tour titles back or can compete in triathalons remains to be seen.
    I've never seen LA as that pragmatic. He seems more like a blood thirsty wolf than a wily old fox. He may be mellowing, or I have my head up my arse.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Forget USADA ... If he confesses, he'll be paying off costs and fines from a multitude of civil court decisions that will be rendered against hm.

I see no value in this, and I will not watch Dopra ... I'll wait for the results of the interview to appear, elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Subscribed for the guaranteed entertainment that this thread will become after the interview is aired.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    good call, Trail. she could make the money shot happen. she makes everybody cry!
    Stand him up in front of Judge Judy and at least you'd get the pleasure of watching her brow-beat him while he stonewalls.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Clean eh? The only way that man could ever be clean inside is if he started drinking bleach.

I'm expecting a big sob story about victimisation and character assassination with little old Lance as the victim.
    He knows that if he admits to anything he will have a couple dozen people calling lawyers to give instructions briefly described as nail that f##ker to the wall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It's weird to see people get so upset over someone they don't know.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    And I surmise that Oprah will pay every penny of it for the exclusive. And why not. Her empire is worth billions. Even more incentive for Lance if he can save not being legally convicted, can save at least one or two of his titles and eventually be allowed to compete again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskare View Post
    There have been several analysis' of the affect this would have since the story was first floated last week. The consensus seems to be that Lance would open himself to less than 20 million in paybacks and costs (so all in, and maybe as lil as 10) but no jail time (and maybe no criminal charges) as the SOL has run on almost everything. These aren't my conclusions, so I can't vouch for any of it. To me, the more interesting question is what will this do to his legacy/brand.

And of course he might just hold fast with the 'no, no, no it wasn't me' story.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    I hate it when I'm forced to watch Oprah.
    No one is forcing you to watch it !!

mtbr member
    Even before all the drug crap came out. I always regarded Greg LeMond as America's greatest cyclist. Armstrong was good but much of his success (not including the drugs) was due to the teams that surrounded him. LeMond likely could have won 5 or maybe even 6 tours if he didn't have Bernard Hilnault for a team mate then suffer a collapsed lung from a hunting accident.

mtbr member
    Hmmm... interesting. I posted this topic a couple of days ago and got neg rep'd, then it got moved to General.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Coming "clean" would be Armstrong just telling the truth for its own sake. Fess up, period. What this is Armstrong trying to finagle something for himself. He regards the truth as something to denied, revealed or twisted to his own advantage.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Just remember that there is not too much difference between the worst of us and the best of us.
    Did the "old time" cyclists cheat?? Probably so. Who knows how the others would have fared with our 24 hour news "cycle"??
    As far as the others who turned evidence against Armstrong, in my opinion they are no better than him. They all cheated and took away opportunities from those who even though talented, refused to cheat and would not even get a chance to compete.
    Really it matters little what he has to say. The evidence against him is out there and damaging. I admit to enjoying his run over the years. A story that good generally has it's dark side.
    Our society is set up to adore or crucify with little in between. There isn't much in life that money hasn't screwed up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    Just remember that there is not too much difference between the worst of us and the best of us.
    Did the "old time" cyclists cheat?? Probably so. Who knows how the others would have fared with our 24 hour news "cycle"??
    As far as the others who turned evidence against Armstrong, in my opinion they are no better than him. They all cheated and took away opportunities from those who even though talented, refused to cheat and would not even get a chance to compete.
    Really it matters little what he has to say. The evidence against him is out there and damaging. I admit to enjoying his run over the years. A story that good generally has it's dark side.
    Our society is set up to adore or crucify with little in between. There isn't much in life that money hasn't screwed up.
    I agree, and don't mean to crucify him. There is greatness in what he did, and great deceit as well. The giant has feet of clay. But sadly, it seems he cheated on a grand scale for many years, and now that he's been outed, still regards the truth with contempt.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Stand him up in front of Judge Judy and at least you'd get the pleasure of watching her brow-beat him while he stonewalls.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Anybody watch the Travis Tygart interview on 60 Minutes Sports last night? I missed it.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast