Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    You are mistaking "PROOF" for what we know to be probably true.
    What we see as probably true though is nothing more than a matter of opinion.

Would hate to see you on a jury.
    facepalm...

you have not read USADA evidence - have you?
    Signature

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    Tones, it's funny up to a point. I'm ok with mum jokes and whatnot in a comical environment, but when it comes up out of the blue in debate/arguement, then generally it's used to antagonise, and that I'm not ok with.
    i don't think all this crap with penises is funny at all. particularly when mothers are involved as well. there should be some respect. i am disappointed that mods did not clean this up.

can we not discuss this in civilized manner?
    Signature

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere, but I just heard the statute of limitations for perjury has run out and that's why he's willing to talk to Oprah. Didn't she have this same conversation with the author of A Million Pieces or what ever it was called?
    ah now it makes a whole lot more sense...

why not make a ton of cash off of Oprah?

really, why not... he'll need them for all the lawsuits that are coming....
    Signature

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Yeah, that's what's odd here to me. He was better than the other dopers that he was riding against. Yet, we still hear little about that.

So, the "playing field" was level and he still won.
    Yup

I would be curious to know if people here that are pissed at Lance really searched their soul deep down inside and were honest with themselves what they would do if were in something like the TDF riding it clean but knowing you were the best but could not win because all the people above you were doping.

1) Do you fight the good fight and ride clean knowing you will never win, you will never make the big bucks, get the sponsorships, and will fade away in the books like all the others who have never won.

or

2) Do you break the rules like all the other guys beating you and do what they do and hope not to get caught?

I mean honestly all of us would like to think we would pick #1. I know I would like to think it.
    However, I can be honest with myself and I know I would choose #2. Just as I am sure that most the haters here would chose to do what he did if presented the opportunity.

meh... whatever
    Yup

I would be curious to know if people here that are pissed at Lance really searched their soul deep down inside and were honest with themselves what they would do if were in something like the TDF riding it clean but knowing you were the best but could not win because all the people above you were doping.

1) Do you fight the good fight and ride clean knowing you will never win, you will never make the big bucks, get the sponsorships, and will fade away in the books like all the others who have never won.

or

2) Do you break the rules like all the other guys beating you and do what they do and hope not to get caught?

I mean honestly all of us would like to think we would pick #1. I know I would like to think it.
    However, I can be honest with myself and I know I would choose #2. Just as I am sure that most the haters here would chose to do what he did if presented the opportunity.
    you've made it abundantly clear you would absolutely and without question or remorse lie, cheat, disregard rules, use whatever unscrupulous/nefarious/underhanded tactics, and stoop to the most base and immoral levels of soul and character bankruptcy to get what you want.

there's no need to keep repeating yourself. we get it.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    you've made it abundantly clear you would absolutely and without question or remorse lie, cheat, disregard rules, use whatever unscrupulous/nefarious/underhanded tactics, and stoop to the most base and immoral levels of soul and character bankruptcy to get what you want.

there's no need to keep repeating yourself. we get it.
    Yup, you got me.

So, you have never nor will never do anything dishonest in your life again?

If you can honestly say that, then you win.
    Otherwise you are just standing on a soapbox of judgement.

No Stranger to danger....
    Yup, you got me.

So, you have never nor will never do anything dishonest in your life again?

If you can honestly say that, then you win.
    Otherwise you are just standing on a soapbox of judgement.
    I dont think its the issue of ever having done anything wrong, its a matter if you are willing to throw others under the bus, bully, really try to take others down.
    Its not the way average people act.
    Your trying to make out that lances deeds are things anybody could have done, i dont think so, not everybody is a sociopath, not everybody goes to the extent that he has gone to, even in pro biking circles, the way he has acted is nothing but a disgrace.
    Its certainly not in my make up to carry on the way lance has acted.
    Lance is a grub, end of story.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    I dont think its the issue of ever having done anything wrong, its a matter if you are willing to throw others under the bus, bully, really try to take others down.
    Its not the way average people act.
    Your trying to make out that lances deeds are things anybody could have done, i dont think so, not everybody is a sociopath, not everybody goes to the extent that he has gone to, even in pro biking circles, the way he has acted is nothing but a disgrace.
    Its certainly not in my make up to carry on the way lance has acted.
    Lance is a grub, end of story.
    So Lance bullied grown adults of pretty much the same physical conditions?

Maybe he was a jerk to people around him but a bully?
    It isn't like he was snatching the lollipops out of little kids mouths.

So if acting like a jerk makes somebody a grub then read back through this thread and you can come up with a list of about half the people that posted (and before somebody else says it, myself included).

sock puppet
    Yup

or

Speak for yourself. Not everyone here is so rotten.

Simeoni did the right thing and stood up to Lance.

Lance destroyed Simeoni's career for that.

Not just Simeoni's.

That is why I don't have any simphaty for the cheat.
    Signature

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Speak for yourself. Not everyone here is so rotten.

Simeoni did the right thing and stood up to Lance.

Lance destroyed Simeoni's career for that.

Not just Simeoni's.

That is why I don't have any simphaty for the cheat.
    So you are mad at a doper for ruining another dopers career?

Seriously, how did Lance ruin Simeoni's career?
    Because he was better at playing the game?

Either way, you support my claim since Simeoni doped too.

sock puppet
    Sorry, I don't intend to waste my time proving to you that the water is wet. I would fail anyway. I submitted my opinion and have nothing else to add FOR YOU at this time.

My comment was directed at other participants of the thread who at least have some substance to offer.

I am glad that despite your disapproval - Armstrong got what he deserved and regardless of your outcry, a great majority of posters see Lance for what he really is - a cheating sociopath.
    Signature

Sorry, I don't intend to waste my time proving to you that the water is wet. I would fail anyway. I submitted my opinion and have nothing else to add FOR YOU at this time.

My comment was directed at other participants of the thread who at least have some substance to offer.

I am glad that despite your disapproval - Armstrong got what he deserved and regardless of your outcry, a great majority of posters see Lance for what he really is - a cheating sociopath.
    Agreed....

mtbr member
    This first article is a summary of some (by no means all) who have experienced the wrath of Armstrong. This is all old news now, but bears a review. Keep in mind also that there was tremendous wealth to fuel the LA public relations/legal machine that provided the muscle to retain power and control -- this is all about manipulating public perception to protect the image and the brand. So many of the posts to this and many, many other threads speak to the brutal effectiveness of this campaign (and I use campaign in the military, not political, sense).

The wrath of Lance Armstrong: USADA outlines witness intimidation

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency sketched a chilling portrait of a vindictive and ruthless Lance Armstrong in its files Wednesday, painting the seven-time Tour de France winner as a peloton bully, capable of intimidating rivals both on the bike and at the bar.

The USADA report details confrontations or issues with Filippo Simeoni, Tyler Hamilton, Levi Leipheimer, Betsy and Frankie Andreau and Jonathan Vaughters, among others. The Armstrong character drawn isn’t a kind illustration of the disgraced champion, instead conveying the Texan as someone determined to keep those who would shed light on doping in cycling subdued.

At the 2004 Tour de France, Armstrong famously chased down Simeoni when he was in a breakaway group. Simeoni had testified against Dr. Michele Ferrari, who was Armstrong’s trainer.

“You made a mistake when you testified against Ferrari… I can destroy you,” Simeoni says Armstrong told him. Armstrong forced Simeoni back to the peloton, with a sinister “zip the lips gesture” that was replayed constantly on television, though at the time commentators claimed to have no idea what it really meant.

One journalist recalled Simeoni’s face — it was wet with both his tears and the spit of the peloton.

“Mr. Armstrong’s statement to Mr. Simeoni in which he referred directly to Mr. Simeoni’s testimony in a legal proceeding and said ‘I can destroy you,’ and Mr. Armstrong’s actions in connection with his threatening statement, constitute acts of attempted witness intimidation,” the USADA report reads.

Full text here.

I think the key to thinking about this is there is a very long and consistent pattern of the behavior that speaks to the man's character and this does not even begin to touch intimidation through lawsuits.

Article from Daily News UK (scroll down to about half way through the article).

If you’re finding it difficult to sympathize with those — including many reporters — who cowed before the threats of Armstrong’s army of white-shoe lawyers and high-end agents and publicists, consider that Armstrong was probably the most litigious athlete in the history of sports.

He set a precedent for other athletes who would go on to use guerilla tactics to attempt to intimidate the media or silence accusers.

As the Daily News wrote in 2008, Armstrong unleashed a shotgun blast of litigation at virtually everyone involved with “L.A. Confidential: Les Secrets de Lance Armstrong.” Just as the book was hitting shelves in Europe, Armstrong sued the authors, the publisher, the sources (including Emma O’Reilly), a magazine that ran an excerpt, and the Sunday Times of London, the British newspaper that ran a preview of the book. Armstrong announced the suit at a splashy Maryland press conference on June 15, 2004, then quietly dropped it in 2005, withdrawing his claims before a trial could begin, a tactic similar to the ones athletes Roger Clemens and Shane Mosley would later use against their own accusers.

“In France, we say it had l’effet d’annonce,” Paris attorney Thibault de Montbrial, who defended the book’s publisher and authors, told The News. “He makes the announcement, but when the emotion goes away, no one realizes that he didn’t go to court.”

Armstrong’s message was heard: his army of lawyers effectively scared away American publishers from translating the French-language book.

“In a sense, it was an effective play,” Walsh said then. “The American publishers were frightened. Why would you take on a book that you knew was being sued in France?”

Armstrong had also filed a bevy of suits in France and even initiated a special emergency hearing with a French court in Paris, where he tried to get a disclaimer inserted into the book calling its allegations defamatory. The judge sided with the publishers, hitting Armstrong with a small fine for abusing the French legal system.

“Our lawyer told the judge it would be the death of investigative journalism,” Walsh said. “It would have been very convenient for all the rogues of the world to ignore uncomfortable questions and then just silence their accusers afterwards.”

Armstrong withdrew all of his French defamation cases shortly before they were to go to trial in the fall of 2005.

Full text here.

Ironically (but not incidentally), Radio Shack was running a large ad in the side bar of this article and I kept accidentally triggering the pop up window. Kinda funny that Radio Shack has found a way to keep getting their money's worth from LA -- no publicity is bad publicity.
    Last edited by June Bug; 01-13-2013 at 08:06 AM.

Rogue Exterminator

What, you said Armstrong ruined Simeoni's career.
    Simeoni doped during his career which is a proven fact.

My statement to you was a result of your statement to me and now that you don't have a defense, you play it this way.

You need to prove to yourself the water is wet because I don't think you believe it.

But whatever.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post

Ironically (but not incidentally), Radio Shack was running a large ad in the side bar of this article and I kept accidentally triggering the pop up window. Kinda funny that Radio Shack has found a way to keep getting their money's worth from LA -- no publicity is bad publicity.
    I was in Radio Shack a month ago and employees were still wearing Live Strong stuff but it seemed anything with a Live Strong logo on it was being deeply discounted.

Got some neoprene armbands for the iphone reg price $20 for $2ea lol

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    Does a thief get a break because, he helped an old lady across the street?
    Depends on what was stolen?

What if it was you he stole from?
    But your Honor ... What about all the people I didn't kill

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    to everyone suggesting that LA should get a pass due to the Livestrong Foundation (LF), are you aware that it contributes virtually NOTHING to cancer research? no funding. no support. no nothing.

neither LA nor LF has furthered cancer research. the purpose of the LF is cancer awareness and to line the pockets of LA with cash. the IRS has recently become very interested in the LF as well for this very reason.

i'm pretty sure everyone knew cancer sucked before the LF came into existence, so nothing groundbreaking there.

just sayin'....
    Thus,possibly, being nothing more than an attention getter for all involved, or suffering.

Not knocking the extra attention, but IMHO those suffering from this disease, would be better served via funding styles of support.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere, but I just heard the statute of limitations for perjury has run out and that's why he's willing to talk to Oprah. Didn't she have this same conversation with the author of A Million Pieces or what ever it was called?
    True, without a lot of lawyer speak within the courts, as it relates to the USADA charges ... But within a civil case, I'm not so sure.

banned
    Aug 2012
    So Lance bullied grown adults of pretty much the same physical conditions?

Maybe he was a jerk to people around him but a bully?
    It isn't like he was snatching the lollipops out of little kids mouths.

So if acting like a jerk makes somebody a grub then read back through this thread and you can come up with a list of about half the people that posted (and before somebody else says it, myself included).
    You do understand that "bullying" does not have to take a physical form ... Don't you ?

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    You do understand that "bullying" does not have to take a physical form ... Don't you ?
    Yeah, but I think the claims of bullying against LA is a little silly.

If he was verbally bullying ] some children or other defenseless people, I see it.
    However, claiming he was verbally bullying people of the same stature as him I think is a little silly. I agree he may have been a jerk but I just don't see bully. But I guess that is all schematics on how you view the difference between a bully and a jerk.

banned
    Aug 2012

If he was verbally bullying ] some children or other defenseless people, I see it.
    However, claiming he was verbally bullying people of the same stature as him I think is a little silly. I agree he may have been a jerk but I just don't see bully. But I guess that is all schematics on how you view the difference between a bully and a jerk.
    And I don't thnk you got my meaning
    Throwing money at lawyer's, to get the results LA has gotten, can also be a form of bullying.

You need to do some research on bullying, Lance weilded a lot of power behind the scenes and was not bullying people of the same stature or power.

The more i read your posts the more i realise that you havnt read the USADA report or really studied this case much, lance was a massive bully in every sense of the word..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Cancer can reoccur.
    Some people need multiple treatment regimens over the years.
    Carboplatin is a chemo drug that also affects the bone marrows ability to produce red blood cells. If your hemoglobin count gets below 8.1 your choice is Procrit(EPO). A big dose of 20-40K units/kg is necessary every week to get your red blood cell and hemo up to avoid infections and continue treatment.. It's likely he had that treatment as part of his initial cancer treatment. Sometimes patients has reoccurrences and need additional treatment regimens.
    If he needed more cancer treatments during his career Procrit would likely have been necessary. Fighting cancer shouldn't keep him from riding
    Livestrong is about doing even with cancer

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Cancer can reoccur.
    Carboplatin is a chemo drug that also affects the bone marrows ability to produce red blood cells. If your hemoglobin count gets below 8.1 your choice is Procrit(EPO). A big dose of 20-40K units/kg is necessary every week to get your red blood cell and hemo up to avoid infections and continue treatment.. It's likely he had that treatment as part of his initial cancer treatment. Sometimes patients has reoccurrences and need additional treatment regimens.
    If he needed more cancer treatments during his career Procrit would likely have been necessary. Fighting cancer shouldn't keep him from riding
    Let's hope that cancer hasn't come back.
    Motobecane Fantom Pro 29
    89 Kawasaki 650 SX with Mods
    00 Sea-Doo RX 70+ mph
    92 Mustang LX convert 347

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Yeah, that's what's odd here to me. He was better than the other dopers that he was riding against. Yet, we still hear little about that.

So, the "playing field" was level and he still won.
    As already mentioned, not everyone had the same access to doping that Lance and his teams did.

Additionally, people have said here and on other sites that a good doping program can make you 3-5% faster. What's 3-5% slower? Well, depending on the year, 3% slower than Lance would put you somewhere around 80th place. So if just one rider in the top 80 was riding on pan y agua, they may have conceivably been faster than Lance, and won the TdF themselves. Yeah, there were a lot of people cheating, but I just can't see every single rider in the top 80 cheating. And that's just at 3%

I for one hope that Lance's reputation isn't rehabbed by this admission.

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Cancer can reoccur.
    LA's PR team probably already knows that. Wouldn't be surprised if that sort of explanation isn't rolled out to Oprah.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Rogue Exterminator
    Whatever happens there of course they will put a spin on it and people will gripe about that too.

Then we can start a whole new thread on how he didn't come clean or how his apology wasn't sincere.

RideDirt
    Isn't this a Mountain bike forum? Just saying.. lol you people need to worry about your country and government rather then this bs. This type of stuff goes on daily and happens all the time with bullying, lies, and extortion, and I'm talking about in all aspects not just cycling. Seems like most of you live in a box and act like this is such a crime. Mods should delete this thread as it had nothing to do with Mountain biking review forums.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by m schmidt View Post
    Let's hope that cancer hasn't come back.
    Yep. Lets hope he doesn't come back into the sport.
    Signature

no trees are safe
    I think I'll get a LIVESTRONG sticker on my bike just to piss people off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Isn't this a Mountain bike forum? Just saying..
    You're a bright spark, LA mountainbikes as well....so you're point is?

Mods should delete this thread as it had nothing to do with Mountain biking review forums.
    Ok, while you're at it, tell them to delete the Off Camber section as well...seeing that has nothing to do with mountainbikes as well.

...you people need to worry about your country and government rather then this bs.
    Ah, no. Thats what the politicians are for, that's why they get paid the big bucks.
    Last edited by SV11; 01-13-2013 at 11:08 AM.

no trees are safe
    Ah, no. Thats what the policitians are for, that's why they get paid the big bucks.
    And they're doing such a great job aren't they!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Millfox View Post
    And they're doing such a great job aren't they!
    Thats beside the point, but yeah they are a bunch of monkies.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Mods should delete this thread as it had nothing to do with Mountain biking review forums.
    Ok, while you're at it, tell them to delete the Off Camber section as well...seeing that has nothing to do with mountainbikes as well.
    Touche

RideDirt
    Lmao.. This thread needs a lot of hugs.

Ya they get paid the big bucks from your pocket unless your a scrub leeching off the system.

There is no passion about this thread? Unless arguing , bickering, and name calling is passion for you guys. Trying to justify who's right or wrong lol .I see a lot of jealous hate against the guy. I'm not saying what he did was right but it's nothing new to me since steroids , synthetics , and enhancers will always be around.

banned
    Aug 2012

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Yeah, but that is only good with the hipster fixie people.
    There are no hugs in mountain biking.

the half breed devil
    Yeah, but that is only good with the hipster fixie people.
    good one...heh heh heh...

banned
    Aug 2012
    For LA, this is most likely true

IMO, this is perfect for a Passion Thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiskare View Post
    There have been several analysis' of the affect this would have since the story was first floated last week. The consensus seems to be that Lance would open himself to less than 20 million in paybacks and costs (so all in, and maybe as lil as 10) but no jail time (and maybe no criminal charges) as the SOL has run on almost everything. These aren't my conclusions, so I can't vouch for any of it. To me, the more interesting question is what will this do to his legacy/brand.

And of course he might just hold fast with the 'no, no, no it wasn't me' story.
    Isn't this a Mountain bike forum? Just saying.. lol you people need to worry about your country and government rather then this bs. This type of stuff goes on daily and happens all the time with bullying, lies, and extortion, and I'm talking about in all aspects not just cycling. Seems like most of you live in a box and act like this is such a crime. Mods should delete this thread as it had nothing to do with Mountain biking review forums.
    We are talking about someone who has made somewhat of a mark in mtn biking by winning the "Leadville 100". He has definitely brought all kinds of cycling up on the radar of people that I interact with on my job and other social circles, hopefully it will end up being good exposure in the long run if we as cyclists put a positive touch on it. After all, we are ambassadors of this sport. He has to be one of, if not the most polarizing personalities that has been involved in cycling. Even this thread has revealed a difference of opinions on him and his story. Most of us do want to be associated with winners, albeit legit ones. I remember cheering for him enthusiastically thru the TV during the tours, especially the comeback tour. Yet after weighting all the information being provided by various sources including Tyler Hamilton's book "The Secret Race", it appears that he is not the champion that I and many others had once thought and hoped him to be. Apparently there are a number of us who have an opinion about him who felt like expressing it here. I thought it was kinda appropriate under the "passion category." It is still an option for anyone to chime in, including you and it is obvious that you feel some passion about the topic or we would not have heard from you

banned
    Aug 2012
    Dope free

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    No one wants the truth, they want the jucy story!!!
    I hope he drops his drawers and full moons the world, then flies a bird with a fiew choice phrases.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by curtboroff View Post
    No one wants the truth, they want the jucy story!!!
    I hope he drops his drawers and full moons the world, then flies a bird with a fiew choice phrases.
    All you want to see is his a$$?
    Signature

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    All you want to see is his a$$?
    Nah. But a good pic of his balls(shriveled?) should clear all this steroid talk up, truth or not.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

banned
    Aug 2012

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by curtboroff View Post
    Nah. But a good pic of his balls(shriveled?) should clear all this steroid talk up, truth or not.
    Balls?

Can't happen he's got only one left.

Therefore - a ball. Not balls.

If be bad balls he would have owned up to his crap a long time ago.
    Signature

banned
    Aug 2012

mtbr member
    the guy is a piece of ****. lied to cancer fighters saying " i did it so can you"...ruined many peoples lives and carrers,sued the **** out of tons of people, threatned to kill tyler hamilton in resturant and then said he was a liar.....

Fug him.....

Rogue Exterminator
    [QUOTE=bikeabuser;10067419]For LA, this is most likely true

Well, pic one is a hot chic hugging a pro athlete not a huf between mountain bikers.

Pic 2 is somebody hugging a new frame. I mean seriously, not only do I hug my bike daily, I snuggle up to it at night when I go to bed and if you don't, there is something seriously wrong with you.

Neither depicts mountain bikers hugging.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast