Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Knee Surgery Passion!

I am very excited! Have needed surgery since 2010 or so for a troubling knee. Have been getting by with Cortisone shots and anti-inflammatory meds until lately. My surgery date is set for Thursday the 30th! Super-Happy and hopeful that I will be able to ride much better after recovery. Am also utilizing the down time to send my fork to Fox for new air spring seals, and repair (re-dip) or replace uppers for chipping Kashima. Am also having a lighter front wheel built..... Going from Flow to Arch in the front, after losing some weight and hammering these Flows for two years now without a single nipple turn.......I have supreme confidence in Stans rims, and should save about 100 grams going to Arch EX.

Sorry for the rambling post.......home alone with no wife around and a little loopy on pain meds.

Thanks for listening!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    I am very excited! Have needed surgery since 2010 or so for a troubling knee. Have been getting by with Cortisone shots and anti-inflammatory meds until lately. My surgery date is set for Thursday the 30th! Super-Happy and hopeful that I will be able to ride much better after recovery. Am also utilizing the down time to send my fork to Fox for new air spring seals, and repair (re-dip) or replace uppers for chipping Kashima. Am also having a lighter front wheel built..... Going from Flow to Arch in the front, after losing some weight and hammering these Flows for two years now without a single nipple turn.......I have supreme confidence in Stans rims, and should save about 100 grams going to Arch EX.

Sorry for the rambling post.......home alone with no wife around and a little loopy on pain meds.

Thanks for listening!

Awesome ... especially the loopy part!!

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hang in there on your physical therapy! Give things time to heal and come back stronger than ever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Hang in there on your physical therapy! Give things time to heal and come back stronger than ever.
    Ditto!

mtbr member
    What kind of trouble with your knee?

I have (unfortunately) been through three surgeries on my left knee for a torn meniscus. None bike-related. Meniscus surgery heals very quickly. Shoot me a PM if it's a meniscus and you have questions.

Good luck with recovery!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I too had Meniscus Surgery, and it was super easy, hardly any pain, and was back to work in a few days. Also, riding does not bother my knees either. My tear was not mild nor severe, and I did not even take the pain meds they prescribed.

Quote Originally Posted by Polk View Post
    What kind of trouble with your knee?

I have (unfortunately) been through three surgeries on my left knee for a torn meniscus. None bike-related. Meniscus surgery heals very quickly. Shoot me a PM if it's a meniscus and you have questions.

Good luck with recovery!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies, and encouragement...... Indeed, torn meniscus, arthritic spurs, a cyst behind the knee, a cyst under the patella, and deteriorated, rough inner patella. They are going to
    Debride the knee cavity, sew the meniscus, remove the cysts, and give me a cadaver based paste/fuse, to give me a smooth surface on the inside of the patella. Riding used to be the only thing that made my knee feel great, along with regular cortisone injections. Cortisone is no longer working, and the cysts and spurs have gotten worse. I am hopeful that surgery gives my knee new life.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That sounds much more involved, but I'm no Doc. Best of luck, and look on the bright side, you can spend lots of time on MTBR while healing and getting ready to ride again. You will ride again.

mtbr member
    I got some aftermarket parts installed after a pretty serious non-riding injury a couple of years ago. That down time is just an itch you can't scratch. That or it was the oxy. Best of luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Be thankful it's not ACL surgery. I'm still recovering almost a year after, but it is going pretty well. Stay away from the Oxy, you will lose your mind and buy as many carbon bikes as you can't afford.

Cheesiest
    Hope your surgery goes well! I'm looking at something similar in the future. Hopefully 10 or more years, though.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hang in there on your physical therapy!

mtbr member
    Thanks so much everyone.......you actually have made me feel like part of a solid community. Hope everyone has great rides this week!

mtbr member
    Had ACL surgery on my right knee in '97. Injury was due to playing basketball, but the therapy that brought it all back to new is cycling. Once you have your range of motion out of the way, get back on that bike! If only a stationary bike at first, you will see how fast you return. If your knee swells up after the first few workouts, no problem. Call your doctor to drain the excess blood and you will be good as new! This should only happen once or at the most twice. Best of luck and don't let anything hold you back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well, how did the surgery go Ghettocop? I had torn meniscus in both knees, roughness under both patellae, plus both patellae were tracking a little less than 15mm to the outside. 3 months ago they removed the meniscus chunks (too badly torn to fix), smoothed under the patellae and clipped some ligaments to release the patellae so they could track straight. Without the menicus, running is out of the question, so no more CX for me, but I can MTB without much patella pain, which is a huge improvement.

-CRAZY-
    No knee surgery passion for me...

My wife went in for a torn meniscus and somehow her femoral nerve was severely damaged most likely occurred from torniquet or possibly nerve block injection at the femoral site. She can't kick her leg forward or push a pedal forward on her bike.

It sucks and is irreversible -and seemingly very difficult to prove in a medical lawsuit (been into it 4 yrs now).
    'I am on a drug, it's called Charlie Sheen'
    Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Best wishes for a solid recovery!

pin it
    Hope surgery was a success and you get well soon
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Hey thanks everyone. BatGuano, that story is terrible best wishes for you and your wife. Surgery ended up being a little more involved. They had togo beyond arthroscopic and cut me open to access the front cyst fully and re-position my knee-cap. Had surgery on Thursday, and I'm just now feeling like getting online. Really swollen and painful, but gradually getting better. I have a positive attitude though, and will work at more range of motion as often as I can. Thanks guys so much.

bust a move
    Best of luck in your recovery!
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Depressing update!!!! I am still hopeful though. What was supposed to be three weeks off the bike has now turned into an additional EIGHT WEEKS. Things are not progressing as I had hoped or imagined....... If you guys can imagine this horror and heartbreak, here is how my PT session went today. I was feeling good and ready to spin on the recumbent stationary bike. Got on it and could not make my knee do a full revolution of the pedals. The pain and stiffness was just too much. After 25 minutes of rotating slowly back and forth, but not being able to get through the top of the revolution, the therapist grabbed my foot and slowly forced it over the top. He thought that was a great success. After mindlessly going through the pedaling motion that is mountain biking for so long without even thinking about it, I left sweaty, and dejected. Mountain biking has never seemed so far away.

mtbr member

Knee Surgery Passion!

If you have limited knee movement you need a shorter crank arm to allow you to cycle on a turbo trainer. The shorter crank allows you to pedal over the top of the stroke with less knee bend. As your knee improves you can then go back up to a longer crank arm again.

You can either get a shorter crank, drill holes in a solid cheap crank or use a crank shortener. The crank shortener is easiest to use if it's only going to be temporary before you get full range of movement again.

http://www.bikecare.co.uk/crank_shortners.html

http://www.highpath.net/highpath/cycles/shorteners.html

Something that I've been quite impressed with for joint smoothness is Rosehip supplements. Compared to Glucosamine and Chondroitin (hopeless) they seem to help. If you're not taking them it's worth a try.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...arthritis.html

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-rel...153303275.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    Depressing update!!!! I am still hopeful though. What was supposed to be three weeks off the bike has now turned into an additional EIGHT WEEKS. Things are not progressing as I had hoped or imagined....... If you guys can imagine this horror and heartbreak, here is how my PT session went today. I was feeling good and ready to spin on the recumbent stationary bike. Got on it and could not make my knee do a full revolution of the pedals. The pain and stiffness was just too much. After 25 minutes of rotating slowly back and forth, but not being able to get through the top of the revolution, the therapist grabbed my foot and slowly forced it over the top. He thought that was a great success. After mindlessly going through the pedaling motion that is mountain biking for so long without even thinking about it, I left sweaty, and dejected. Mountain biking has never seemed so far away.
    Your range of motion should be your priority. Blood pockets form around the area of healing, which is your knee. As you get more and more range, you will occasionally here some snap-crackle-pop which are those blood pockets. Every time that happens, you will increase your range. I used to try and bend my knee and when the range stopped, assist it by using a towel and pulling it more. Not extremely but little gains every day. Physical therapy is an everyday thing, along with using hot and cold therapy. If you do this religiously, you will see the gains and be back on the bike in no time. Also, when you start to get back on the bike, use a regular stationary, not a recumbent. Unless you typically ride a recumbent on the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hang in there, GC. 30 years ago I had a full debridement procedure when I was mis-diagnosed with a lateral meniscus tear. This was before MRI's. I also had a "loose body" floating around in my knee joint (no, not as in homicide, occifer ) it ended up being a nickel-sized piece of my femur's articular cartilage.

What I was told to anticipate, i.e. being back on my feet and doing everything within 3-5 days, suddenly turned into 3 months of non-weight bearing. I got pretty good with crutches. The knee felt pretty bad for many years afterward, and when I took up mountain biking, I found that I could only ride 5-7 miles before pain, a burning type pain, began to set in.

So what I did was begin to take 3000 mg. of glucosamine sulfate a day, along with an equivalent amount of chondroitin. At the regularly suggested dosage, 1500 mg., I felt nothing...no benefit. I also began doing acupuncture on my knee....not needles right in the knee, but of all places, on my opposite elbow! Being a longtime martial arts practitioner, I also got back into "horse stance" training, which is really a kind of isometric exercise for the leg muscles, the quads and glutes in particular, but all of 'em overall to an extent.

Within one month, I was riding 10 miles at a time, followed immediately, right next to my van, 10-15 minutes of horse stance, and my post ride burning pain did not occur. Today, that knee makes some noises, but I can ride over 30 miles of trail, and not have any problem with it at all. I believe that if you follow the same kind of protocol, you will get the same results, too.

And yes, I'm aware of the double-blind placebo controlled study that found glucosamine no more effective than placebo. But that study was flawed, almost designed to fail, by dosing every participant with the same amount. It was half the dosage I took. I'm certain that if they doubled the dose, they would have gotten better results.

So, I attribute my success with my knee to the 4 things above.....glucosamine/ chondroitin, acupuncture, chi gong (horse-stance), and cycling. Combined, they are a winning combo, and if you commit yourself to something like this, it will most likely be a winner for you, too.

BTW.. I'm 60 years old now, and I still train students to do the horse-stance thing....one class is even in the Cardio Rehab unit of a very big hospital here, another class I teach outdoors. Anybody can do it, adjusted for their individual needs, and if they are willing to put up with what many of them describe as the meanest, self-administered torture they ever put themselves through!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ah yes, the infamous Horse stance, or "kiba-dachi" in Japanese. Had to do this for 90 minutes one year for Winter Special Training. Brutal. Ghettocop, I am pulling for you. lots of good advice here. You will be riding before you know it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast