Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Kids Passion: Post ur kid racin'

As a proud parent of a XC racing kid just wanted to share a couple of scanned pics of my kid in action that I just got my hands on.

His race group, the Little DeViL is rider 201 (yellow stripe on number plate)

The yellow stripe identify him as a former champion, he has won his age group 2 years in a row but this year he's the youngest one of the group and is working really hard to stay competitive, right now his 3rd in points.

Action pic

Please share with us recent pics of your kids racing.

Your Customer Sales Rep

Not racing ...

I'm not aware of any races in my area with a 6-year old category, but here's some kid passion (ps the helmet problem is now fixed - he kept pushing it back):

North Shore riding, on a fully rigid singlespeed with a coaster brake (the handbrake is cosmetic):

Turning the corner

He complained that the speed barriers (about 200 feet apart) on this trail were not letting him go fast enough:

Doing some homework before hitting the 'Shore again:

Practising wheelie drops in the yard:

You be you. I'll be riding.

Foreign Entity
    Awesome photos guys, I hope we see more

"El Whatever"
    I just hope he'll like racing (I don't race).

Here he is trying a frame... but it didn't fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Just a Saturday ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan!
    Doing some homework before hitting the 'Shore again:

Practising wheelie drops in the yard:

How to you manage to teach him weelie drops and hucking techniques?

Old Guy that rides

techniques

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    How to you manage to teach him weelie drops and hucking techniques?
    You start em young, give them encouragement, and hide your own fear when they tell you "I can huck that Dad!"

4 years old riding dirt bikes at Pismo Beach

8 years old

8 yrs old at Sea Otter on his brother's bike

a year later at Pacifica

Last year at Northstar

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away

...."I don't want to be the fastest.....just faster than my friends."

Originally Posted by zenorb
    I so wish I could un-read that.

Is it play time yet?
    This is great! We're having our first (a boy) in ten days and I can't get enough of these threads.

Oh, the future broken bones

mtbr member
    Amazing, is that a Stinky Jr?

Professional Slacker

She's got passion...

Dirt Devil...

Your little boy seems like quite the hammer...I always enjoy your posts and look forward to doing the same with my little girl. I'm hoping one of these day's I'll be able to swing a trip down to PR one day to ride with you guys! I've been dying to get back to a Spanish speaking country. I have a feeling I'd have a warm welcome in PR and get some killer riding in too!

Sid's got passion...but she's not big enough to ride let alone race. She's not even walking yet actually. This pic was taken the day after her first trailer ride. Granted..I couldn't get her to wear the helmet during the ride, but ever since then, when she sees it she wants to wear it. At least she's protected if she falls out of her high chair!

Second trailer ride was last night with a friend. A Burley trailer of her own is on its way...she can't wait and neither can I !

Congrats on being the pround Papa of the Champ !
    [SIZE="2"]Procastinators...Our Leaders of Tomorrow![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Philadelphia area - Junior Races?

Hey everyone!

My daughter is 9 years old and just recently started mountain biking. She's not particularly fast, but really enjoys it and expressed an interest in racing. does anyone know of any kids races in the Philadelphia area? Any referrals would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chili
    I've been dying to get back to a Spanish speaking country. I have a feeling I'd have a warm welcome in PR and get some killer riding in too!
    Thanks for the kind words, any mtbr broda is more than welcomed at the DeViL's. I've been lucky to meet mtbr folks during trips and was more than welcomed, that's another reason why I do the same. Seems that the mtb community trusts their fellow mtbers and the relationships seems to be for the long run.

mtbr member

i live in philly

Quote Originally Posted by sbermhb
    Hey everyone!

My daughter is 9 years old and just recently started mountain biking. She's not particularly fast, but really enjoys it and expressed an interest in racing. does anyone know of any kids races in the Philadelphia area? Any referrals would be appreciated!
    i live in philly
    my daughter wants to race as well shes twelve and there is nothing for gors until age 14 or so(masuperseries.com ) and the race i did find for her was on a bad weekend

http://masuperseries.com/SeriesSched...rsheyFlyer.htm imay take her to this one
    Last edited by bigkeith; 06-09-2005 at 09:05 AM. Reason: new info found

mtbr member
    Let me tell you what I did.

Back when I was a racer (not a good one btw) my son wanted to race too. We'll ask the promoter or official if a kids race was on the agenda and the usual answer was no. When they did was on an improvised course and gave medals to all participants, sort of a everyone is a winner race.

In 2003 I volunteered to run the kids program full time, I'm also a member of the mtb governing body. On the races that the governing body is also the promoter I desing, mark, register and do the races along with my wife and daughter. On the other races I help the promoter on the course desing and perform all the race related duties but the promoter is responsible for everything related to the course.

We have several classes; from kids on training wheels to 10 y/o. From 11 to 13 they race on the real course but with chaperones just to watch them make sure that they don't get injured. Every kid acumulates points and at the end of the year the first 3 from each class receive championship trophies in addition to the individual race trophy or medal; everyone receives a medal just for trying anyway to everyone is a winner.

My recomendation will be to go to the races and talk with the officials, most of them will like the idea of having some sort of "everyone is a winner" race and then you can volunteer and build from there.

It's hard work but at the same time very rewarding.

"El Whatever"
    Seriously this thread has been enlightening to me. Now I have a clearer idea of what to do whenever my kid be able to learn to ride.

BTW... what's the best way to hook him into the sport without overwhelming him???

I guess I'll could find the way myslef when the time comes but I might miss the point and get hims away from MTB too... that would be bad. I'd really like to ride along with my son.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Let him get started with a trike or little bike and off course let him see you ride and feel your passion about bikes.

As soon as the balance is there introduce him to the dirt but don't push him, let him explore and discover the beauty of this sport. Before you know it he'll be begin' for you to take him along for a ride and that's when the real fun starts.

"El Whatever"
    Let him get started with a trike or little bike and off course let him see you ride and feel your passion about bikes.

As soon as the balance is there introduce him to the dirt but don't push him, let him explore and discover the beauty of this sport. Before you know it he'll be begin' for you to take him along for a ride and that's when the real fun starts.
    THX, DeVil !! Now I have a clearer direction...
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    No hay problema mi amigo!

Old Guy that rides

Stinky Jr

Amazing, is that a Stinky Jr?
    Yes, It's a Kona Stinky Jr. I bought the frame and then built it the way I would build my own bike. He loves it and it is a great bike.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away

...."I don't want to be the fastest.....just faster than my friends."

Originally Posted by zenorb
    I so wish I could un-read that.

pillage! plunder! 4 parts

Anyone Check out the Banff Film Festival this year?

They had a film of a Canadian kid, probably about 10-12 who literally threw himself off obstacles. He fell distances that just make you cringe - and never got hurt. It was one of those clips that you laugh at watching but have to watch between your fingers as you are trying to cover your eyes.

Will try to find out who he was as maybe there is a clip out there.
    don't question why you ride but rather why you don't ride more.

Currently in Exile

Great thread

I have no racing pics of my 8 yr old, but I do have some from a recent ride. They can be seen here memorial day ride with pics She finally got the whole riding a two wheeler thing this spring. I am super proud of her for all of the progress she has made in just a few months. Last week she was even jumping on a small ramp that one of the neiborhood kids had made.

I am floored by some of the stuff that your little guys are riding! I don't think I would ride some of that stuff! But I am just an old XC fuddy duddy, and somehow missed the whole freeride boat Great job to all of you dads and moms who are taking your kids out on the trails and sharing your passion with them!

And DirtDevil, kudos to you for taking the time to organize a kids racing series. I can understand how much time and effort it takes. I am promoting my first race next month, and am frankly to the point where I can't wait for it to happen. There is so much more that goes into it than most people know. Of course, I am sure that my job would be easier if I didn't have to BUILD THE TRAIL too! Fortunately, I have had some great help!
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Nice pics and looks that you guys had a blast on Memorial Day. For us was a racing and camping weekend and off course the kids raced and turned out to be one of the best races of the season. I missed it because I was trying to become a downhiller and due to a brake failure only did the practice run and by the time I made it back to where the XC venue was the kids were already finished.

Thanks for the kind words and as you said it's hard work. I've been helping a team with rebuilding their trail (my favorite btw) and that is really hard labor, last Saturday we spent 7hrs working there and couldn't even finish a section. I'll prolly show up tomorrow to give a hand but can't stay for that long.

mtbr member
    Full attack mode

MTB B'dos
    Man great thread DD. Great stuff form all you das and mums, I guess it's hard to remember those days when fear wasn't a factor. I'm amazed at what I've seen so far in this thread, wish I could get my nephews from in front the computers long enough to go riding - we bought them all bikes for x-mas and they were riding for a while, but once we stopped asking our bro to bring them up to ride they stopped (only roads where he lives)
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Hοmo Velo
    Erik is 12 and has won three out of the four local races he's done this season.

Lots of kids do XC racing over here, and some of the races Erik can even ride to from home.

Attached also a pic from the local cycling club's season opener camp.
    If you don't like climbing, then my rides are three times more fun than yours.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast