Thread: K.i.s.s.

Yappy little dog!

K.i.s.s.

Keep It Single Speed

That's been my mantra for the past month or so. I guess when my OCD takes over, it's all or nothing. I have really enjoyed the SS on the last few rides. So much I'm thinking the next bike will be single speed. A special single speed.

Today I decided to do a longer ride in Buffalo Creek. Sure, not much climbing, but plenty of grind. It was a spctacular morning as well. Temps were in the 70's as I hit the trailhead. Kind of amazing for a Summer day in Colorado.

On my way to the first trail, I came upon another rider. Instead of blowing by him, I started a conversation. We were moving at a pretty good clip along the fire road when he said that he was 66 years old. This sport is amazing. I don't think anyone ages riding a bike. It was a great conversation with a guy from the east coast (NY). He lived out here since the mid 70's and never lost the dialect.

We split ways as my climb began.

My comfy couch area. Time for a break.

DING!

Riding down the Colorado trail, I had this feeling that I'd gone back in time about forty years.

I spent a good amount of time giving directions to first timers at Buffalo Creek. I enjoyed that. We'd talk about my bike and how I planned my route to not be too offensive . One guy kept going around in circles on Miller Gulch and Baldy. I think he did it twice until I told him to turn right.

Remember folks.

K.I.S.S.

mtbr member
    Super cool, but I'm cornfused ??? How the heck did you get the belt on there ? Was it in place when the chain stay was welded together ? I bet that sucker is smooth and quiet !

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by joel63 View Post
    Super cool, but I'm cornfused ??? How the heck did you get the belt on there ? Was it in place when the chain stay was welded together ? I bet that sucker is smooth and quiet !
    I can sneak up on anybody.

That's my bike (model) in the video.

mtbr member
    Sweet

mtbr dismember
    Amazing photo quality! However as one who ruined two knees for life I hate to think of a SS.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Amazing photo quality! However as one who ruined two knees for life I hate to think of a SS.
    Thanks. Thankfully, my knees have never been a problem (was not a sports kid in high school and even though I live in Colorado, skiing is not my passion). My bunions are another story that someday may need attention.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    You'd be surprised, but single speeding can actually be easier on the knees because standing up puts a more natural stress on the legs than seated pedaling does.

Here's some discussion of the issue on MTBR:
    Is singlespeeding good or bad for your knees long term?

mtbr member
    Great pics, thanks for that!

Jkj
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Cool !

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My concern with belt drive is with an opening in the rear triangle, doesn't that weaken the frame? As it is, how much quieter is the belt vs. chain? My ss is pretty quiet already.