Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Just rode my first half-century!

675 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  icecreamjay 
#1 ·
Just got back from a 50 mile ride! Actually, 50.98 according to Strava, lol. I averaged 15.4mph over that distance, and placed in a bunch of Strava circuits that I didn't even know existed.

I've been getting into doing longer rides, and this is my longest yet! Previous was 42 miles on my slick tired mtb. That was a killer.

Since then I bought a Ridley cross bike, and recently put 28c street tires on it.I rode the Ridley today. Overall, a much better riding experience than the MTB for that distance.

Except for a slightly sore lower back, I feel great. I'm thinking I need to play around with my cockpit setup to get rid of the back pain. Just not sure exactly what I need to change yet.

My main problem was that I didn't bring enough food. I brought one protein bar, which I ate after the first hour, but before the 2nd hour I was feeling hungry again. I was going for distance, so I kept going.

I also ran out of water, I either need to wear my camelback (don't really want to on the road) or get a 2nd bottle mount.

Next time I'll fix the water and food situation, and hopefully go even longer. My goal is to be able to do a century by the end of the summer.

See less See more
Reactions: 2ridealot
#2 ·
Nice job Mike. Yeah, I would say 1 water bottle for a 50 mile ride in 90 degree heat is insufficient. Hopefully you rode nice and early before it was too hot. You probably don't want to invest in another pack, but they make "road" camelbak's that are much smaller and aero. Good luck getting up to 100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.