Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

Job/Career - Would you hire someone with (MTB) Passion?

We're all a friendly bunch for the most part, and having worked for and with fellow riders, really enjoyed the dynamics of riding after work with coworkers.

That being said, I haven't been able to use my passion for mountain biking to land a job.

Now, I've got a pretty nice gig as it is, but I'd like to move out west and put out feelers on this forum and others looking to see if anyone works in my field, and I've wondered, even if I found fellow riders in my industry in MTB Paradise, would they even hire me?

Personally, I'd choose a fellow rider over other candidates all things being equal.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    If I were looking for someone to fill a job in the outdoor sports field it would be a plus. If I were looking for a good Physician's Assistant to add to my staff, I wouldn't really care. It depends.

Yappy little dog!
    I have hired staff that ride mountain bikes and I have had after-work and work hour team building rides with them. It is likely that if two candidates had the same skill set and experience, I would pick the mountain biker.

mtbr member
    I have hired many individuals. I always try to ask about their personal passions. Work/life balance is a good thing.

psycho cyclo addict
    I have also hired a number of people... never asked about anything outside of work related matters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    best candidate wins, not the person who like to play my way.

turtles make me hot
    I kinda did it in reverse. I hired a guy and then got him mountain biking.
    We work together for someone else now and we still bike together.
    I like turtles

unrooted
    I prefer to keep my work life and personal life separate, at least with employees. If I'm going to ride or hang with someone I prefer to do so with "equals" so there isn't a hint of favoritism.

If all things are completely equal I would likely pick the Mtbiker, but only because I would prefer healthy employees over the alternative!

mtbr member
    Of course, the mountain biker is more likely to call in sick when the weather is good!
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    No- because they come in on Mondays all bloodied and bruised. I'd rather hire a nerd that is pasty and never goes outdoors- you get much more productivity from them...Now if i needed a bike messenger that would be a different story : )

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I got my current job through mtbing. After a friendly ride with mutual friends I got an email the following week asking for my resume.

My Boss reasoned that if I'm the type of person that trains and is dedicated to achieving goals in my personal life it would hopefully transfer to my professional life. 95% of the time that assumption is true, 5% of the time I want to blow off work to ride

OP, I would look at it the other way. I would rather work for a cyclist/active person. They will hopefully value work/life balance.

Good luck in the job hunt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would hire a fellow rider if he/she were qualified. I used to do a lot of rock climbing, and I would be very reluctant to hire a climber. They are dirtbags!

mtbr member
    I think that serious rock climbers are prevented by law from having jobs.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    there's no way you're going to use your passion for anything to find a job in an unrelated field. That's just not how life works. I don't hire someone because I like them as a person, rather because I think they're most likely to be able to do what I need done; their hobbies don't enter into that at all unless their hobby is doing that thing.

You can ask "all things being equal" questions as much as you like, all things are never equal.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I think that serious rock climbers are prevented by law from having jobs.
    Naw; just wingsuit flyers

mtbr member

Re: Job/Career - Would you hire someone with (MTB) Passion?

Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    OP, I would look at it the other way. I would rather work for a cyclist/active person. They will hopefully value work/life balance.
    You'd think so, but the HNIC at my place of work is/was a MTBer. Got most of the facility on 12 hours and six days for months on end. Says if you don't like it, you can go work for Starbucks. When work slowed, and OT normally would have abated, dude laid off people to work a skeleton crew on 12 hour days. No regard for workforce morale at all.

Totally uncool. To be fair, I don't know how much he actually rides anymore.

Delirious Tuck
    Better question is, would your mtb rider network help network you into a job lead if you moved somewhere?

I've helped network others I ride with to new jobs and would hope for the same.

JHH
    mtbr member
    I think people who do cycle/board/adventure sports are confident. Have better intuitive quick reasoning skills. Usually more tolerant of diverse opinions. Not afraid of failure because they know they learn from it. Fact is we play in situations that many people fear. Those experiences demand focus, skill and innovation. And that makes you a better worker.

I've used this thinking in job interviews and if the interviewer balks at my answer. They aren't gonna be my boss.
    Keep pedaling no matter what

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I spent most of my time looking for jobs. Having bike shop jobs on my resume has NOT helped me whatsoever and hiring managers in unrelated industries don't seem to give a **** how I spend my free time. In fact I would say that most interviewers look at me strangely when I tell them I enjoy riding bicycles, as if that's some sort of hobby I'm supposed to outgrow after adolescence. It doesn't help when I tell them I do 100 mile rides and 6-12 hour races. Then they give me REALLY strange looks. I always try to compare my ambition athletically to my ambition professionally. Sometimes that helps, sometimes they blow me off.

Some of the responses in this thread have renewed my faith in the job search. t's good to hear that people still make hiring decisions based on actual qualifications. I've been sniped on more than one occasion where a potential employer hired a family member/close friend/good ole boy instead of a more qualified candidate. Good for them, I wouldn't want to work for a company with policies like that anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    I would say that most interviewers look at me strangely when I tell them I enjoy riding bicycles, as if that's some sort of hobby I'm supposed to outgrow after adolescence.
    lol thats because you ARE supposed to outgrow them after adolescence-
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gotta pay to play
    I always ask candidates I interview what they do for fun or hobbies. If people ride bikes (either road or mountain) I am more interested in hiring them. Unfortunately, bike riders are pretty rare still.