Thread: job anyone?

Caution: Freerider
    Mar 2005

job anyone?

how many of you have a job that has something to do with bicycles? If you do.. where do you work? what exactly do you do? and how much you get paid?

I am just starting to consider working and most of the people that live near me work at the local Safeway. I figured if i'm going to work for a low wage, i rather be doing something i like and learning something. I applied to REI last friday for bike technician.. hopefully they'll accept me!
    AIM: bsr35802
    Who said more is better? Two wheels are better than four!

mtbr member
    i worked for one of safeways companys in illinois, dominicks, when i was 17 the benifets of working there were awesome and by the time i was 18 i was making 12 bucks an hour far more than any of my buddies working at music stores or skate shops, was meeting hot girls daily some my age and some older women lol, it was a union job so i got braces for a yr for 25 bucks, i broke my wrist and the union paid for it, plus when i retire later on im gonna get a pension(spelling), and now that im a real estate agent(well not yet but in a week or so), im gonna go back there and work part time just for the health insurrance.

so i say, unless your hell bent on working for a bike store go work at safeway, it doesnt suck and the benifets although you may not think you need them, are far superior to the bike shop. i mean all the girls i met at the store alone make me wish i still worked there lol

Caution: Freerider
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by primussucks
    so i say, unless your hell bent on working for a bike store go work at safeway, it doesnt suck and the benifets although you may not think you need them, are far superior to the bike shop. i mean all the girls i met at the store alone make me wish i still worked there lol
    well for 1.. everyone that works there goes to my school and i dont like many people at my school. 2... the place where i want to work has it's own benefits.. emplyoee discounts up to 75% off, crazy huh. 3... not many hot girls in my place and to be perfectly hoenst, i dont go out looking for girls specifically.
    AIM: bsr35802
    Who said more is better? Two wheels are better than four!

mtbr member
    You are not going to get the benefits at REI that you would get at a unionized Safeway store, but I suspect REI is pretty good on the retail spectrum as to wages and benefits. Whether you will get something full time is another issue...but if you bike, you will get great store discounts. But do try to get health insurance. And if you don't get at least a 401(k) for retirement savings, try to open an IRA, even with just a few hundred dollars a year, though ideally 10% of your income. The money you save now is worth SO MUCH when you retire because of compounding interest.

My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I started working at a bike shops in high school. At that time I was racing almost every weekend, but since I got a job that required me to work on the weekends I had to taper off the racing scene. The good thing was that I had days off mid-week so all the trails were empty.
    After high school I worked in the bike/ski department at an REI type place in Tahoe, CA. It was a fun job mostly because of the benefits (free season passes at all the ski resorts).
    After that I worked the bike rental shop at Camp Richardson Resort in Tahoe, now that job was fun. Everyone was there to have a good time, there was live music on the lake, I knew the bartenders, tons of hot chicks everywhere. If you get the chance, get a job at a resort. By the way, the pay sucked at all the bike related places I worked at, but I wouldn't trade the experiences for anything.

hari kari
    Quote Originally Posted by bsr35802
    how many of you have a job that has something to do with bicycles? If you do.. where do you work? what exactly do you do? and how much you get paid?

I am just starting to consider working and most of the people that live near me work at the local Safeway. I figured if i'm going to work for a low wage, i rather be doing something i like and learning something. I applied to REI last friday for bike technician.. hopefully they'll accept me!
    Should I ever find myself unexpectedly in need of employment, the first application I put in will be to become a bike messenger.

ali'i hua
    hmm.

I work part-time at REI as a bike mechanic. that might count. as for pay? peanuts. its why its the "fun" job. besides, the discounts are well worth it.