Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Jimi Hendrix is not good riding partner ...

Happy New 2006 folks !

It's been wet outside hence I have not been out riding so please bear with the ramblings ...

Got a MP3 player over X'mas and was very keen to put it to good use. Since it has been pouring outside here in NorCal, it's time bust out the rollers; and now that I have a MP3 player it would be perfect company for those boring minutes.

Ripped some of my favorite songs, ear buds in place away I spin. Or so I thought....

I am kinda old skool when it some to rock music - Led Zep, Hendrix, Doors, Deep Purple etc. I like the newer stuff as well - Red Hot Chili Pep, Nirvana. But mainly old skool for me. Therein lies the problem. I cannot get a right rhythm to match my spin.

e.g. I LOVE Hendrix, but man, it is hard to spin 80 rpm to "The Wind Cries Mary"; Nearly impossible to ride to the live (in Royal Albert Hall, no less) version of "Stairway". Queen comes close.

I may have to get spinning type music, hip-hop (gasp), dance mix (yikes).

Any suggestions...

Cheers,
    Gakster
    Last edited by Gakster; 01-03-2006 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Am I getting too bulky?
    Try the new Hendrix Woodstock CDs. And when it comes to Led Zep, you're picking the wrong songs. You can't tell my you can't ride to "Rock and Roll" or "Whole Lotta Love". "InAGaddaDaVida" would be an awesome tune to spin away the time to too! While I'm at it, some good old Rolling Stones would hit the spot too, "Let It Bleed" for instance.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member
    At least you can choose your music! I am stuck with a cheapy radio that only picks up hip-hop or tejano.

A question though... when you are spinning do you shoot to keep your cadence at 80? I end up at that cadence but have been told to stay ay 90. I'm new to the cadence thing... enlighten me.
    ~Cadillac
    Iconic, Fat and Slow. - Not in that order.
    Bikes:
    ***'03 Marin Quad (Fully Squishy)
    ***Giant CFR (Road)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac
    at 80? I end up at that cadence but have been told to stay ay 90. I'm new to the cadence thing... enlighten me.
    You know, I am no expert on the whole cadence business. I am a mtn biker pretending to be a roadie. I do try to keep 80-90 rpm.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    When I would spin at the gym I would listen to Pink Floyd "Animals" or "Dark Side of the Moon". Those albums seem to sound better w/ headphones. Plus the intensity of the music grows and I could use it for a better workout.

Now, I just have a playlist that keeps growing.

JPS

Rolling
    ....double post

Rolling
    Seems to be a fad now to ride with tunes!

Music To Ride Bikes To

"You 36-year-old boy ***, blow me/ You don't know me, you're too old, let go/ It's over, nobody listens to techno." -Eminem to Moby

Just Give'r!
    I definitely understand your dilemma- I can only work out to music with a steady, somewhat aggressive beat or riff. Bad religion is wicked to spin to. New(ish) Canadian band by the name of The Trews has some nice tracks too. Try "Sweetness" by them, you can check some of their songs on www.thetrewsmusic.com. most of their video-songs are weaker, but try d-loading some stuff and see what you think. Sorry, gotta plug the good touring Canadian group.
    As for cadence, to each is own, but I would definitely recommend aiming for closer to 90. 80 or 85 won't kill you, but if you fall into a habit of running it at 60 rpm's to get power, your legs are going to die quickly. You want to let your aerobic base handle the bulk of the work- it can last longer, and that way when you need your legs to attack, chase down a pack or take a short, steep hill- they're still there for ya. Check some videos of Lance spinnin by at like 115 rpm's.

mtbr member
    When I spin at the gym they use "Bad to the Bone". During the riff that gets repeated alot you stand and do a few strokes at faster speed then sit during the other parts. Lots of up and down. They also do a Queen medly that's pretty good.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Hendrix is roadie music:

Bonking on a hill climb to "Purple Haze"

"Actin’ funny, but I don’t know why
    ’scuse me while I kiss the sky
    Purple haze all around
    Don’t know if I’m comin’ up or down"

Sprinting on the flats, to "Crosstown Traffic":

"Ninty miles an hour, girl, is the speed I drive
    You tell me it’s alright, you don’t mind a little pain
    You say you just want me to take you for a ride"

Doing a breakaway to "Stone Free"

"Stone free do what i please
    Stone free to ride the breeze
    Stone free i can't stay
    I got to got to got to get away ...

Feel my heart kind of runnin' hot
    That's when i've got to move before i get caught"

Passing ([SIZE=3]ON YOUR LEFT!!![/SIZE]) to "Crosstown Traffic"

"I’m not the only soul who’s accused of hit and run
    Tire tracks all across your back
    I can see you had your fun
    But darlin’ can’t you see my signals turn from green to red
    And with you I can see a traffic jam straight up ahead
    You’re just like crosstown traffic
    So hard to get through to you
    Crosstown traffic
    I don’t need to run over you
    Crosstown traffic
    All you do is slow me down
    And I got better things on the other side of town"
    You be you. I'll be riding.

lover of trees
    Oct 2005
    ^stellar post

and we're talking about spinning btw or at least that's how I'm looking at this. Although other people ride with music I consider it sacriligious. I don't condemn them for their choices though as it's personal preference. I do agree it would seem less safe riding with tunes.

Cheers
    Last edited by xc_xtc; 01-03-2006 at 11:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Seems to be a fad now to ride with tunes!

Music To Ride Bikes To

"You 36-year-old boy ***, blow me/ You don't know me, you're too old, let go/ It's over, nobody listens to techno." -Eminem to Moby
    I'd never be so bold to go on the road nor the trails with music. Road riding is dangerous enough as it is.

Just that spinning on rollers are so monotonous, I need more sensory inputs.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Gakster; 01-03-2006 at 11:37 AM. Reason: ..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan!
    Hendrix is roadie music:

Crosstown traffic
    All you do is slow me down
    And I got better things on the other side of town"
    [/COLOR]
    Brilliant !

Currently in Exile
    Maybe not your stile of rock, but I like to spin to Dream Theater. They are a progressive rock group that's been around since the '90s. Rather longish songs with lots of pace changes and really technically advanced melodies and rythms. I can get lost in the music and just hammer away on the rollers.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

silly person
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac
    At least you can choose your music! I am stuck with a cheapy radio that only picks up hip-hop or tejano.

A question though... when you are spinning do you shoot to keep your cadence at 80? I end up at that cadence but have been told to stay ay 90. I'm new to the cadence thing... enlighten me.
    From what I remember, everyone has a natural cadence that they're most comfortable with. A lot spin at 90, but there's also people who can spin all day at 120 or 70. Just relax and do what feels right. I don't worry about my cadence, but I can sure tell when I'm riding smoothly. A lot of the time that's when I'm near my natural cadence. (Obviously this doesn't apply if you like teh singlespeeds)

mtbr member
    Music doesn't do it for me. It would have to be a pretty involving piece to keep me interested while workin the trainer. OTOH, I need absolutely no outside entertainment to keep me interested when out mountain biking on real trails.

I tend to watch action adventure or thriller movies to keep my mind off the boredom of spinning.... or mtb videos like The Collective... music and pictures.

taxi mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I need absolutely no outside entertainment to keep me interested when out mountain biking on real trails.
    sound of outside is great. if you miss screech of hawk chance is you not see it.

taxi mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    When I spin at the gym
    funny

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gakster
    Happy New 2006 folks !

It's been wet outside hence I have not been out riding so please bear with the ramblings ...

Got a MP3 player over X'mas and was very keen to put it to good use. Since it has been pouring outside here in NorCal, it's time bust out the rollers; and now that I have a MP3 player it would be perfect company for those boring minutes.

Ripped some of my favorite songs, ear buds in place away I spin. Or so I thought....

I am kinda old skool when it some to rock music - Led Zep, Hendrix, Doors, Deep Purple etc. I like the newer stuff as well - Red Hot Chili Pep, Nirvana. But mainly old skool for me. Therein lies the problem. I cannot get a right rhythm to match my spin.

e.g. I LOVE Hendrix, but man, it is hard to spin 80 rpm to "The Wind Cries Mary"; Nearly impossible to ride to the live (in Royal Albert Hall, no less) version of "Stairway". Queen comes close.

I may have to get spinning type music, hip-hop (gasp), dance mix (yikes).

Any suggestions...

Cheers,
    Gakster
    don't give in yet.

try some old school R&B...
    Kashmir by Led Zeppelin will give you an 8 minute "climb"
    or, try some U2 ( I could ride to their "best of the 80's" for hours); Police, Stevie Ray.. this is what I take to the gym.

Carpe Noctem
    Dec 2005
    I ride with music all the time when commuting(all the time) and road riding alone(rarely) but if I'm on dirt or with other people I'll kill the tunes.

My favorites are invariably fast and hard, old school Metallica (can you keep up with the beat of master of puppets or harvester of sorrow?), NoFx, Rage Against The Machine, Bad Religion, System Of A Down and recently I've really liked riding with Avenged Sevenfold. I don't like the Avenged they play on the radio but the "Walking the fallen" Album is great.

I'm always supprised at how aware I continue to be with music, I still hear cars long before they pass me and little things like leaves rustling around me.

I've tried all the earbud/headphone styles I could find and I think the best thing I can say is to use the type of ear phones that wrap around the back of the head and have a pad on the outside of the ear. Around the back means they don't interfere with the helmet and can be removed and replaced quickly with one hand while keeping the little speaker outside the ear allows a lot more sound to get through.

mtbr member
    As you say you like old school music, but you should try punk rock when your on the rollers. Download some The Offspring and Pennywise, their two of my favorite punk bands. Its really fast paced and blood pumping music.
    Remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time".-D.Ritchie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB1986
    As you say you like old school music, but you should try punk rock when your on the rollers. Download some The Offspring and Pennywise, their two of my favorite punk bands. Its really fast paced and blood pumping music.
    Punk Rock, that's a great idea.

I've almost forgot Billy Idol. "Ooo yeah she is my baby. She wants more.. more more more more more..:" That will work :-)

Cheers.

Carpe Noctem
    Dec 2005
    Offspring is punk?
    Off season? What off season?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Back when I was in school we had a ping pong table around the corner and the wabbit ears on the 12" TV wern't worth it so we ended up playing a lot.

At the time the boom box got drug in for audio.
    One of the guys got to hitting to the rythm of ZZTop and if you lured him in and broke rythm he just couldn't catch up.

So he asks if we can change tapes.

And he just couldn't play when the best of Queen started coming out of the speakers

So far I've mostly tried the trainer with the TV as the headphones reach but maybe I need to pull the sterio closer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheMoment
    Offspring is punk?
    They somewhat sold out on Americana, but look at their stuff from the early to mid '90's.
    Their one of the bands that brought punk rock into the mainstream.
    Remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time".-D.Ritchie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast