Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GCM
    mtbr member

Jenson deals - Too good to be ture?

What the catch here? These prices seem too good to be true...

Shimano XT M752 Crankset - $89.
    SHIMANO XT速 M750 REAR DERAILLEUR - $39

Are these 'standard' XT level components? Derailleur is not the "RapidRise" variety is it?
    88 Keys and only 10 fingers....

Formerly DMR For Life
    Avid BB7 160mm $75...something weird here to me the cheapest i can get one of these in canada is 150 twice as much...i don't know
    DMR

There's no app for this.

you could maybe

get the Jenson deal, they FedEx to Canada, it might come in a bit less. Or try a price match at performance bikes. They ship USPS, so you avoid all the FedEx fees. Make sure they mark it "Made in USA - bike parts" to avoid any duty also (Nafta). Jim

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCM
    Are these 'standard' XT level components? Derailleur is not the "RapidRise" variety is it?
    Jenson buys alot of manufacture close out items. They must have a very good buying team out there looking for every deal, but they have to buy the volume to get the deal. It's amazing how cheap it is to manufacture a product after the design, tool set up, production is done. How many years have they Shimano been selling the same product? Thats called Bank!

jrm
    mtbr member

Could be OE leftovers

Nothing wrong with that...
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Just roll it......

Buy in bulk....sell cheap.

That seems to be what Jenson does a lot of the time. Of course, a lot of these end up being loss leaders since you inevitably order more stuff than just the sale items.

BTW, I've had good success with them.

EB

mtbr member
    :Yep, I ordered that M752 XT crank for my bike. Should be here today.

Keep in mind that it's the older Octalink style splined (but still Hollowtech) crank and does not come with an integrated BB and outboard bearings like the newer version. Still a great crank at a great price. You can't even get three new chain rings for that.

Phil from San Diego
    Why don't ya call them and find out, then report back. =)

I've had nothing but good experiences with Jenson. $75 for Avids aren't that cheap really though. They used to sell for $69ish a while back. But because they are so popular, the price has risen due to demand.

Phil.

stay thirsty, my friends
    If it feels too good to be true - buy it! If they happen to be the wrong part or wrong price, take it up with Jenson and I'm sure they'll exchange or refund.

I think I overheard somebody that bought that $40 dollar xt rear though and was happy.
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

Jenson wasn't the only one with the $39 XT M750 rear derailleur recently, Cambria had it too.
    The crankset is being blown out in a couple of places too. Usually happens as they're phasing out the product...stock up now if you like these components.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

ballbuster

Last year's models

... but still a good solid deal on both. I have those cranks, and they are noting but good... apart from the rings wearing out pretty fast, but that is true of all alloy shimano rings. Good thing there are cheap 104mm 4 arm replacements from other brands. The other downside is that there is only one bottom bracket in the world that works with them, the shimano Octalink V2 BB which is a tad heavy, but pretty durable. I'm 200# battle weight, ride a thousand or two miles a year and seem to kill mine every two years. THey can be had for $30 if you look around, so no biggie when they go. Much better than annual or less replacements on ISIS bottom brackets to the tune of $50 or more.

bike dork extraordinaire

Nope! Not too good to be true.

I ordered the XT rear derailleur and LX shifters, and both arrived in original boxes and packaging.

I'd get 'em while they last!

Formerly DMR For Life
    actually ordered them from Blueskysycling.com got the 185mm for 75 and they have the 160 for 70 looks like i'll be riding disks in a few weeks when i get back on the bike...sweet
    DMR

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I have ordered lots of stuff from them in the past, nothing but good experiences. They tend to "blow out" stuff from time to time, and I typically jump on it.

I got Avid Juicy 5s for $89 each from them a while back, and was then told by a bike shop that was below the wholesale price on them.

I wish I would have jumped on one of those Jenson Chameleons when I had the chance....

Bunny Hugger

Jenson Is For Real...

The OP and first responder obviously haven't heard of or dealt with Jenson before. Jenson is for real! Great deals and great customer service have always been Jenson's strong points. If you see a good deal at Jenson, go for it. They inform you if the product is oem or seconds, unlike Price Point sometimes. No worries with Jenson.
    Hug the Bunny

mtbr member

Pretty good

I picked up some 6" El Camino brakes for $151 and some Bontrager rims for $25 along with some HT Rhino Light wheels for $89 so they have some great prices.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I actually picked both of those a couple weeks ago from jenson. Not too good to be true just not the 'newest and greatest' so they're selling for less. The derailleur isn't rapid rise, which in my opinion is a good thing. The new M760 rear is rapid rise.

Formerly DMR For Life
    i think alot of jensons pricing comes from blueskycycling their prices we're less than jenson is at least a couple of the things that i looked at and blue sky ships USPS and thats a deal maker for me
    DMR

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    i think alot of jensons pricing comes from blueskycycling their prices we're less than jenson is at least a couple of the things that i looked at and blue sky ships USPS and thats a deal maker for me
    DMR
    That is a issue i have had with Jenson in the past, their shipping & handeling is out of this world, UPS is way expensive.

ballbuster

*edit*

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... but still a good solid deal on both. I have those cranks, and they are noting but good... apart from the rings wearing out pretty fast, but that is true of all alloy shimano rings. Good thing there are cheap 104mm 4 arm replacements from other brands. The other downside is that there is only one bottom bracket in the world that works with them, the shimano Octalink V2 BB which is a tad heavy, but pretty durable. I'm 200# battle weight, ride a thousand or two miles a year and seem to kill mine every two years. THey can be had for $30 if you look around, so no biggie when they go. Much better than annual or less replacements on ISIS bottom brackets to the tune of $50 or more.
    wait, isn't this what I paid for them 3 years ago on sale?

Still a good deal.

Bunny Hugger

Think Of The Whole Transaction...

Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    That is a issue i have had with Jenson in the past, their shipping & handeling is out of this world, UPS is way expensive.
    Do you mean that Jenson's shipping charges are good or bad? They ship mostly via FedEx Ground, and from my experience their shipping charge is very reasonable.

My last order was just under $100 and the shipping was $9. It would have been $10 if my total exceeded $100. Some might think that $10 is too much for shipping. But how much would you pay to drive to a shop that had Jenson's deals? Think roundtrip with today's gas prices. I'm in SoCal in the OC and Jenson is also in SoCal in Ontario in the Inland Empire. It would cost me more to drive to and fro Ontario to pick up the goods than to pay Jenson to FedEx it to me. And what about the time and stress spent driving and shopping in the store? Their shipping charges are incredibly reasonable when you factor that into the whole transaction.

Is the USPS cheaper than FedEx Ground and UPS Ground? Surely, most of the time, but not by much. Do you get the tracking and service of FedEx with the USPS (mostly no) or UPS (mostly yes)? Think about the entire process and their charges are not so outrageous. Some places charge a lot more cuz they make money on the shipping charges. I would not put Jenson in this category.
    Hug the Bunny

Glad to Be Alive
    sometimes they part out bikes
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prexus2005
    Why don't ya call them and find out, then report back. =)

I've had nothing but good experiences with Jenson. $75 for Avids aren't that cheap really though. They used to sell for $69ish a while back. But because they are so popular, the price has risen due to demand.

Phil.
    Or due to inflation caused by increased energy costs.

MTB B'dos
    Jensons' for real and they do a very good job, I've ordered from them a few times this year and everything has been spot on. Ordered one of the older XT FD for $19.50 and it came in an original box and everything. Remember these are the older model stuff most of the times, so the manufacturers are prob trying to unload them and phase them out and as such if you have Jenson type buying power you can get great deals. Oh and as for shipping don't *****, I have to use Fed Ex International which starts at $35 US and pay about 25-30% duty on bikes parts and worse get raped on anything clothing - try almost 90% :O
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Chrome Toaster

Nothing special with those prices. Yes they are cheap but thats EXACTLY what those parts sold for 2-3 years ago when they were the current models. When the new generation stuff came out and the whole issue with not being able to sell for under MSRP that meant the old stuff had to sell for MSRP as well so prices went up.
    Oh and yes, that is the older model XT derrailleur, the 750 series.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast