mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Japanese mountains and mountain roads

Hi all.

So i was out on Sunday last week, my second ride in japan. I already run in the mountains. But i knew i had to get a bike, the single track is awesome and the mountain roads are fast, twisty and steep. So got a cheap bike and went out on road tyres. Riding up into the Rokko Mountains. It was bloody hard going up the single track on city tyre's, but i persevered, making it to a gravel pass that ran up and across part of the mountain range. I think it's used by the rescue division. Anyway, it's great to ride on - loose gravel, progressive climbs up to around 900M, and some good twisty descents. I was blasting along really enjoying the spring air. Thinking i can't wait to get the brakes, wheels, suspension and tyres sorted (another story).

I reached the end of the gravel path and hung a left, riding up this steep mountain road. I was pushing, thinking, god i am gonna fly down this....Well fxxxxck me. When i turned, i pushed hard flying down this sticky strip of black tarmac twisting through the mountain. Overtaking cars and it just got better as i pushed, twisting with some real 180 deg corners, switching back and forth like a snake, throwing my bike right and left on the limit of traction. I remember hooting (woooooooooohooooooo.) as i ripped through this tunnel in sheer pleasure. Man, i was stoked when i got home, i was buzzing for like 3 hrs. I can't wait to get down the single track with the right equipment...Japan, great cross country single track/downhills and scary twisty tarmac.... EPIC!
    Last edited by SHELLSHOCK187; 05-01-2014 at 07:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sounds like a great exploring adventure & glad you got home OK. Midway through the second paragraph, I was sure you were going to crash.
    Enjoy life and Ride On!
    (and considering your riding style, make sure you get some really, really good brakes, just in case you need to slow down at some point )

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yeah its a full on exploration process, even though i have run quite a bit in these mountains, i haven't even grazed the surface yet. Brakes, i was looking at some Avid hydraulics the damn bike only has V brakes, i got some Cane Creek Duros wheels in the post today, with discs and good tyres, so i am hoping the Avids will do the trick. To be honest, there were a couple of close moments - gravel and road tyres aren't a good mix lol......i really missed mountain biking and i am so glad i got another, even if its not expensive, while i am here it will allow me to Ride on and Enjoy life bro.