Yappy little dog!

January in Colorado!

January 27th? Really? Well, I guess this is the future of Winter in Colorado. In my almost eight years of living here, I cannot remember North Table Mountain being this dusty in the middle of Winter. I'm not complaining. It's beautiful. I just want to know if I should start buying my beach front furniture now.

It did provide a great opportunity to show off the new trails. Now there are nearly 14 miles of dirt, right out of my driveway.

P1020280

The new trails provide a much more "relaxed" ride up than the old service roads. It's actually a very enjoyable climb. I just have to get used to riding things in the opposite direction that I have done for years.

P1020265

Taking it all into view.

P1020270

The new North Table Loop trail. A lot of hard work went into making this happen. They had to move boulders so that they wouldn't slide down to houses below.

P1020269

I was playing around with some filters and brought back a little 1970's 35mm action. *I miss my old OM 10.

P1020273f

This was probably the only time we didn't see anyone else on the trail. *New trails mean more people and it was CROWDED!

P1020274

Yes, January at nearly 7000' above sea level in the Northern Hemisphere. Just plain perfect!

P1020275

Even the climbers were out enjoying the day. It did cause a little bottleneck on the trail below. Kind of like rubbernecking on a freeway, but with a much better view.

P1020278

I wonder what the week will bring?

P1020276

I <3 NM
    It's going to really suck come summer... when fire season hits.

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    We are covered up here in southern CO: Durango. Even Moab has snow so I had to drive to Sedona to find dry dirt and even they had snow on some trails. You're lucky to have dry dirt, but like Nate said, Fire season is going to be rough like last year if conditions stay warm and dry. Last night we received 16" of heavy wet snow in the San Juan's, while Durango got more than 1" of rain. Rain in January?? We just had the coldest weather Durango has seen in 50 years so who knows what the the rest of the season will be like?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    We are covered up here in southern CO: Durango. Even Moab has snow so I had to drive to Sedona to find dry dirt and even they had snow on some trails. You're lucky to have dry dirt, but like Nate said, Fire season is going to be rough like last year if conditions stay warm and dry. Last night we received 16" of heavy wet snow in the San Juan's, while Durango got more than 1" of rain. Rain in January?? We just had the coldest weather Durango has seen in 50 years so who knows what the the rest of the season will be like?
    Snow baby; winter storm warning today. Cleaned the mud off the fat bike and am ready to get back onto pure, white, clean snow!!! May have to ride Slime Gulch on my lunch break today.
    I was in the front range all as last week ... gross.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Des(s)ert Rat
    Ha! My Colorado and your Colorado are far different! I had more than a couple friends go to the Front Range for better weather. It's been super cold on the Western Slope! But now it's raining... In January...

Gnarly
    Nice pics Schnauzers!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Go Pro vid of the Picture Rock Trail from January 26th in Boulder

Mountain Biking - Heil Valley Ranch - COMPLETE Picture Rock Trail -1/26/13 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Nice pics. Funny that over here in SLC, we've had a solid amount of snow on the ground in the valley since Dec. 24th, with another 4" or so forecast for tomorrow morning. Which is a the longest we've had snow on the ground since we've lived here -- usually the snow is gone with in a few days of the storm.

But last year this time, I was riding dry trails in the foothills and such. Just goes to show, you never know ...
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Avalanche warning in the San Juan's right now. Snow is piling up as I type.

Trips for Kids Denver
    I rode Green Mountain yesterday. I'm 39 and have lived in Denver my whole life. I've never seen Green Mountain dry with NO patches of snow anywhere in late January. Denver is getting snow rght now though.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Rode Devil's Backbone/Horse Tooth in Fort Collins on Saturday. Came down from Cheyenne. Perfect temp to ride.

I work in .001 tolerances
    Scary, but good dirt lately

This was from Sat deep into Indian Creek

Nice pics Mitch

mtbr member
    Retitle:

January in Eastern Colorado. The best slope is a whole different animal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan View Post
    Retitle:

January in Eastern Colorado. The best slope is a whole different animal.
    Nice pics Schnauzers, that is pretty much how the front range looked when I was there last week. Sadly, I didn't have any bike with me
    As Bean suggest, we have slightly different conditions in SW Colorado, arguably the bestern slope. This is in Durango's famous Test Tracks area, at about 7,000'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails January in Colorado!-meslimegulch.jpg  

Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I rode January 24th & 26th down in Fort Collins/Loveland and was amazed that I was riding, let alone in shorts, in January. The trails up here in southeastern Wyoming are still kinda snowed in, but we definitely haven't gotten the snow that we should've/need to yet. Definitely worrisome for this summer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ha, I think I saw you guys headed up Cottonwood Canyon when I was waking the dogs with my wife. It was crowded, but then again... 60 and sunny does that.

The new trails out there are a definite improvement in the fun climbing department - much appreciated.

As I'm sure you know, it now looks like this... much less crowded though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails January in Colorado!-ntm.jpg  

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    Ha, I think I saw you guys headed up Cottonwood Canyon when I was waking the dogs with my wife. It was crowded, but then again... 60 and sunny does that.

The new trails out there are a definite improvement in the fun climbing department - much appreciated.

As I'm sure you know, it now looks like this... much less crowded though.
    It was a busy day on the mountain. I think we chatted a bit, then again it's what makes my hour long rides into three hours. South Table is undergoing a retro-fit starting this year.

mtbr member
    Right on! Glad to see the pics!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    It was a busy day on the mountain. I think we chatted a bit, then again it's what makes my hour long rides into three hours. South Table is undergoing a retro-fit starting this year.
    Do you guys do group rides up there or in the area often?

New trails on South Table Mountain sound like fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    awesome pics. definitely want to take a trip to colorado for about 2 weeks to hit some trails in the truck and mountain bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That is how Northern Utah looked like last winter, looks like be are back to normal this year and getting lots of snow! I am itching to ride. Looking to go to Southern UT soon.

The 5th knuckle
    I gave you grief about not wanting your Cal pictures of warmth and green until I saw some white ranch snow pics, you come back and bring the weather with you. It's all your fault you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.