Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Des(s)ert Rat

It's only Five Miles.... Photos....

Five miles of intensely technical riding and amazing scenery! And then there were a few miles to get to the five miles. I love riding in the Swell.

It's just off the Interstate... Ok, probably closer to 20 miles off the Interstate.

It snowed the night before:

We went left.

Tiggerider led the way:

Now I'll quit clogging up the bandwidth....

mtbr member
    my office window stares out @ an interstate so...thanks for the pics scream..much better views!
    don't sweat the petty things & don't pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Looks like another planet! Looks very unforgiving if you go OTB.... I can only dream of such riding....maybe someday. Great pics, thanks for sharing

Gary J.

Surfin' da mountain
    GJT/Fruita is such an amazing place!

Des(s)ert Rat
    This ride is a couple hours away from the Grand Valley. Closer to Green River, UT, but still an hour from there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Wow, I wish I could ride places like that.

usually cranky
    id love to ride somewhere like that, a fun change of pace.

mtbr member
    Terrific pictures. You really captured the color, texture, and gnarliness of the terrain. I've always wanted to do the Five Miles of Hell but never had the right mix of time, location, and masochistic ride partners to hook it up.

Some day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    so, screampint? 'bout how often did the leader fail to make the moves? he's known to be a great tech rider. was it to his limits?
    breezy shade

Des(s)ert Rat
    Past his limits. I'm pretty sure all the downhill stuff was cleaned, but there were quite a few uphill moves that were beyond him. We are all fairly accomplished riders (me being the least technical) and it pushed us... A lot! And this trail is not one for pushing over the limits and risk taking, as it's in the middle of nowhere.

Here's an up that he attempted, but didn't make. There were lots that weren't even attempted. FYI, he can make just about all the ups on the Slickrock Trail (I'd say all of them, but I can't verify that).

Des(s)ert Rat
    When you do manage it, Ray's has a great post-ride burger waiting in Green River, UT. I was surprised to find such an awesome find in such a small town... Who knew?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Past his limits. I'm pretty sure all the downhill stuff was cleaned, but there were quite a few uphill moves that were beyond him. We are all fairly accomplished riders (me being the least technical) and it pushed us... A lot! And this trail is not one for pushing over the limits and risk taking, as it's in the middle of nowhere.

Here's an up that he attempted, but didn't make. There were lots that weren't even attempted. FYI, he can make just about all the ups on the Slickrock Trail (I'd say all of them, but I can't verify that).

past his, wow. that place has been on my radar for a few years now. exactly the type of slow tech i love to try. hopefully this year.

is there legal camping out there, or just nobody to check?

thanks for the post.
    breezy shade

Des(s)ert Rat
    Plenty of free, legal, primitive camping. This is a moto trail, so be aware of that. However, the only motos out there are serious enthusiasts, they tend to be courteous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    When you do manage it, Ray's has a great post-ride burger waiting in Green River, UT. I was surprised to find such an awesome find in such a small town... Who knew?
    Been there done that (hfly put me onto it when I was leaving Moab one time) ...and it is life-altering delicious, no doubt!...... but sadly have always passed up the exit for 5MOH. One day I need to stop.

fruita and moab 0075

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i love how the trail (and probably other trails out there) are marked with white to show you were to go! Noob comment sorry lol

Now broadcasting from CO
    This trail has been on my list of must ride trails for a few years now. Now I just need to head west for something that's not a race for once...

Great pics!
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Ray's is the Cheeseburger in Paradise after 7 days floating Deso-Grey. The Swell is swell. Nice pictures as usual.

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Spectacular stretch of country there - so different to everything else! It sure looks super chunky
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Clips and straps on the Knolly? I sure wouldn't want to attempt most of that with toe clips! Clipless, or preferably flats. Huge thumbs up!

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Impressive pictures and riding. Somebody posted a video of motos on 5MOH some time ago, and it blew my mind.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Wow, it's amazing. I really admire it

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Terrific pictures. You really captured the color, texture, and gnarliness of the terrain. I've always wanted to do the Five Miles of Hell but never had the right mix of time, location, and masochistic ride partners to hook it up.

Some day.
    Exactly. One of these days...
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    What were your ride stats? Rolling time, total time, avg. speed etc? What's the ride like to the 5 moh and what's the Red Trail like? Possible to do them both in same day?

Thanks a lot for your posts and pics! I've been out of action with a torn acl/meniscus since December (surgery on 2/3) and just started riding easy dirt roads last week so I've really appreciated the vicarious rides! I've really missed my annual spring break trip (I'm a teacher) out to Moab/Fruita/GJ so I'm itching to get out there asap!

Currently in Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119
    my office window stares out @ an interstate so...thanks for the pics scream..much better views!
    At least your office has a window. I work in a windowless room.

And definately, Thanks for the pics!
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Awesome pictures! You should cross post this in the Knolly forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast