Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll

Maybe it was because I'd recently watched School of Rock again but this song kept running through my head as I was climbing and climbing and HABing to the top of this ridge. So since I had it stuck in my head.... I thought I'd share it so you could run it as soundtrack to my ride report...... and so you could get it stuck in your head too.

I hadn't been up to this particular bit of high country yet this year so Saturday was the day. The climb starts at around 9000' and tops out around 11,000'. It does it mostly over 2.0 miles so not only is the air thin.... it's steep.

DSC00817

NAFAIL.... but there are a couple of less steep sections where I could rest and recover a bit.
    DSC00820e

Still going up.... but I'm getting there. The climb was about 50/50 HAB and riding.
    DSC00822

We have acheived the ridgeline! The view from here is one of my favorites.
    DSC00824

The ridgeline trail itself meanders along with some ups and downs
    DSC00826

DSC00834

DSC00841

This is the turnaround spot for today. With a little more time and a bit of exploring you can hook up to another trail that continues north a ways further... but the descent isn't quite as fun as the one I chose.
    DSC00827

Heading back towards the delicious descent trail.
    DSC00829ec

DSC00843

Getting close to the "Rock and Roll" part of the ride.
    DSC00833c

This is about half-way down... As always, it's hard to stop on the descents for pics.
    Stuff was still pretty darn green for this late in the year. Lots of snow this past winter.
    DSC00845

Waning moon shots.
    DSC00846

DSC00844

More meadows on the down. This is about a 3500' descent all told.
    DSC00849

Lots of deadfall most of which was small and hoppable.... but this one made for a nice camera perch at least.
    DSC00851

Good ride. It felt great to get on some stuff I hadn't ridden yet this summer and was worth the dirt road climb back up to the summit where the ride began.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-23-2011 at 11:25 PM.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Love it! that used to be my signature- may have to go back to it!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Nice work, K.

JMH

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Almost looks like Utah, where is that? Looks like a great ride, can't wait to get away from Texas and head to the hills.

mtbr member
    Self-timer shots at altitude must have added to the fatigue level!

Very nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    Almost looks like Utah, where is that?
    Close. Eastern Nevada.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
    Self-timer shots at altitude must have added to the fatigue level!

Very nice.
    Heck no... the timer shots give me an excuse to rest!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Very nice!

Color me green.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Very cool thread - Thanks!

Currently in Exile
    Looks like a really cool trail. Thanks for posting KRob.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Nice post, but I need to add some constructive criticism: you can't just post the ac/dc video showing their logo. You gotta have the one where they're riding on the back of a truck playing the tune with Bon Scott playing the bag pipes. That guy was rock and roll. He looks like he's ready to break into your house, steal your tv, piss on your couch, bang your girlfriend, then shake your hand and invite you to go drink at the pub all night. It indeed is a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm studying the pic but can't place where you were at.
    I'm thinking that maybe you were riding in that one place that people used to ride. Schells?? Or maybe Kalamazoo?

BTW, I'm about all healed up. Rode about everyday this past week on Ice Plant. Yea!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Great pics Krob. Looks like a great ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    You gotta have the one where they're riding on the back of a truck playing the tune with Bon Scott playing the bag pipes.
    That's a cool vid, no doubt..... but how would my feeble attempt at photography compete with Bon Scott rocking out on the bag pipes. Hmmm? Exaaaactly. I needed a soundtrack.... not total domination.

(That song is still stuck in my head btw....four days later.... D'Oh!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyE
    I'm about all healed up. Rode about everyday this past week on Ice Plant. Yea!

Glad you're healing up. Let me know when you want to go explorin' in the high country and I'll show you where it's at.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-25-2011 at 09:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    Great pics Krob. Looks like a great ride.
    Thanks Scott. I need to get back to Sedona this fall...... but it probably won't be until February. Are you still diggin' the new EG?

Singlespeed Poser
    Dec 2009
    Hell yeah Rob! THose are some money pixels right there! Initially, i knew it would be somewhere in Nevada then it started to look like other places i have been too....Can i get a tour or what?!

How is the descent? any chunks ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Great song. Great movie (even for this old man parent). Awesome climb and pics. Thanks for posting. It is a nice way to start my day.

High Desert MTBer
    Nice post, but I need to add some constructive criticism: you can't just post the ac/dc video showing their logo. You gotta have the one where they're riding on the back of a truck playing the tune with Bon Scott playing the bag pipes. That guy was rock and roll. He looks like he's ready to break into your house, steal your tv, piss on your couch, bang your girlfriend, then shake your hand and invite you to go drink at the pub all night. It indeed is a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll.

Bon's an awesome guy, it was very sad when he died. He never did things by halves. He certainly wouldn't do most of the things you say, but he did like a drink. I was with him in London drinking in the Music Machine the night he died, and he was ordering quintuple JD and Cokes. He had several of these that I saw, and when he left he was pretty trashed. A great shame and loss to us all.

mtbr member

I was there at the filming of that clip. I was a wee lad, I think it was 1975 or 76' on Spencer Street, Melbourne, Australia.
    Walking along, then heard this mighty racket and lo and behold........... AC/DC.

Ever since that day, I am one of their biggest fans. RIP Bon.

Let there be ROCK

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

So true man....so true.
    AC/DC is my favorite band....Like the Bon Scott years a little more than the Brian Johnson stuff, but hands down favorite band either way.

Beautiful pics in the OP.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G. View Post
    How is the descent? any chunks ?
    Can i get a tour or what?!
    Come on up! I'd be glad to show you around. Though I gotta warn you... we're a looooong way from anywhere.

Like I said on your "Chunk" thread, not a lot of chunk locally (on the trails anyway...though there is some great potential for chunk around if you look). This descent is mostly fast, steep, and flowy with a spot or two of chunk thrown in to keep you on your toes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    dude, awesome pix and song combo. now its stuck in my head too, ha ha!
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good stuff!

Singlespeed Poser
    Dec 2009
    Dude just let me know when the best time is and i'll bring the bike and some SSan Diego beers

Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Come on up! I'd be glad to show you around. Though I gotta warn you... we're a looooong way from anywhere.

Like I said on your "Chunk" thread, not a lot of chunk locally (on the trails anyway...though there is some great potential for chunk around if you look). This descent is mostly fast, steep, and flowy with a spot or two of chunk thrown in to keep you on your toes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast