Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

It's just one of those days....

Does anyone else ever feel like selling everything they own (minus their bike(s), a vehicle, some camping gear, and maybe a few tools), quitting their job and just riding single track until you either a)run out of money and are forced back into the real world b)are committed for being the strange, bearded guy who hasn't showered in months and refers to his mountain bike as his "significant other," or c)have a yard sale on the one tricky down hill and end up in the hospital (which ends up liquidating what ever assets you still have including your bicycles).

The two highlights of my year are my annual week long trip to eastern Utah and riding the Laramie Enduro. I get a lot of riding in between March 15th and August 15th, then due to my job and mother nature, I'm forced to sit inside on the wind trainer indoors to get my mtb fix.

Life is too short....get out and ride!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Not to that extreme but I do feel my best when I am in the saddle then it just my bike, me, and the trail. Job marriage kids troubles melt away

Dirt Junkie
    I did this in my early 40's. Wrecked me financially.

It's taken a lot of years to recover, mostly.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    I've missed the boat to do it while I'm young and free, so banking on being financially stable in later years to go wandering with my bike...

mtbr member
    So much so, I quit my job & moved to Fruita, CO!
    Come join me

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I live in SoCal so we ride year round.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I worked my tail off, was careful with my money, and was able to retire at a relatively young age while I still had my health. Now I ride almost every day. I feel very fortunate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Wife and kids, I just want to be at a point when I retire shortly and be able to ride with the kids daily after school.

mtbr member
    I think we all, especially so for the male gender (I know this is a generalization, sorry if this annoys you but get over it), have the urge to see lands unseen and make trails through them. This urge appears to be stronger when one may be least able to do it due to financial restrictions, familial obligations and the need to make money so you can eat and sleep under a roof. My wife mostly scoffs off my constant prodding to try and motivate her to be more active and travel. Now I know we should have plenty of time, we're in our mid 30's, but I feel the immediate need to prep because I'd like to think when I'm more able financially and the kiddo is off at college that I'll wake up one morning and point my feet out the door. I have had the luxury of seeing many places in the world, but there is certainly so much more to experience that my impatience at times is a hinderance to me enjoying the present. So I'll share what I tell myself after the kiddo goes to sleep.
    It's 10 miles to water fountain, it's getting dark and I'm wearing sunglasses, I need to hit it, go.
    No fuss with the MUSS

Hell Track
    I know the feeling well. I was hoping to take a good week to bike, hike and camp in Utah this year but I just got married and I don't think it will happen this year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I think we all, especially so for the male gender (I know this is a generalization, sorry if this annoys you but get over it), have the urge to see lands unseen and make trails through them. This urge appears to be stronger when one may be least able to do it due to financial restrictions, familial obligations and the need to make money so you can eat and sleep under a roof. My wife mostly scoffs off my constant prodding to try and motivate her to be more active and travel. Now I know we should have plenty of time, we're in our mid 30's, but I feel the immediate need to prep because I'd like to think when I'm more able financially and the kiddo is off at college that I'll wake up one morning and point my feet out the door. I have had the luxury of seeing many places in the world, but there is certainly so much more to experience that my impatience at times is a hindrance to me enjoying the present. So I'll share what I tell myself after the kiddo goes to sleep.
    It's 10 miles to water fountain, it's getting dark and I'm wearing sunglasses, I need to hit it, go.
    Great post! Like!

Lord Thunderbottom
    I've got those feelings pretty bad, I bought a house when I was 19 and I've been a little too stable all my life, no crazy time off from reality
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Every day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yep, read a sentence about "selling your time" in reference to working, just to pay off a car and house, only to get a raise and repeat the cycle with a better car/house/toys/etc. The idea has been bothering me ever since.

Serenity now!
    Well, minus the beard thing....maybe the hairy-leg-and-armpit woman?

Hubs and I have actually discussed doing it (my idea!) and are right now on a one-year plan to make it happen if we still want it when next year comes around.

I want to live in a van for a year to see what happens (besides hairy armpits) and how many trails we can ride.
    Duchess of Dab

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PdlPwr View Post
    Every day.
    This
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

wannabee
    Every day.

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by UFMatt View Post
    Yep, read a sentence about "selling your time" in reference to working, just to pay off a car and house, only to get a raise and repeat the cycle with a better car/house/toys/etc. The idea has been bothering me ever since.
    Yeah, I heard some guru financial planner (maybe Dave Ramsey) years ago that asked if you own your stuff or if it owns you. Basically a strong "Don't ever finance things" message but it's stuck with me for some reason and I try to think about that before buying things...or just use it as an excuse why I have a beat up old vehicle. ..

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Inspector Gadget

It's just one of those days....

Yup. Thought about boxing the bike up and buying a one way plane ticket to somewhere. Lol
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

backwoods and backwards
    I kinda' like having a house, but I really want to reach a point where my mtbike life-style dictates how my work life happens. The plans are in place for the coming spring...wish us luck!
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by Backyard Pro View Post
    Off topic, but I can eat a hill alive when this song comes on.

mtbr member
    whatever you do, don't open up a bike shop... that will get you deep in the red...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    I have often thought about faking my own death and moving somewhere in the Alps... Seriously check my browser history. Two problems though, 1: I want to see my son grow up and 2: finding an appropriate cadaver is really difficult.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

backwoods and backwards
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    whatever you do, don't open up a bike shop... that will get you deep in the red...
    I know better...how 'bout a pub?
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast