Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Its amazing how quick the Passion and Fitness comes back!

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  PedalDangit 
#1 ·
6 months out of the saddle due to other commitments, and not really missed it that much to be fair, winter and spring here weren't great in the UK. Roll on an epic summer and my maiden voyage back on the Heckler, and i'm madly in love and addicted to cycling again! The passion has been reignited like someone putting gasoline on a fire :madmax::cool:

Was looking over my Strava results earlier, i've only been riding again for approx 3 weeks

Heres a half mile run towards the end of my ride, I genuinely struggled when I first got back in the saddle, and pushed up a lot of hills, and found maintaining good speed was a real chore, legs burning, lactic acid build up, heart rate through the roof, breathing heavy, just no stamina or power whatsoever :shock: I'd even get worst results on consecutive rides! I'm now finding loads more power on tap, huge stamina improvements, I feel like i'm seeing 3 months of progress in as little as 3 weeks!

Anyone else have stories of epic passion and fitness rekindling after a break?

See less See more
#3 ·
Very true.

I was off the bike for 6 years. When I returned, I spent the first month, riding 2x per week, on a flat walking trail, riding about 8 miles a pop.

When I felt like I was getting my legs back, I hit a local singletrack loop around a lake. This loop was 11 miles long with a one mile optional loop containing the toughest parts of the trail. I skipped the optional loop and it took me 1:55 minutes with 6 rest breaks along the way.

A few months later, I did the full loop, non-stop, including the optional bypass in 1:16.

#4 ·
When I felt like I was getting my legs back, I hit a local singletrack loop around a lake. This loop was 11 miles long with a one mile optional loop containing the toughest parts of the trail. I skipped the optional loop and it took me 1:55 minutes with 6 rest breaks along the way.

A few months later, I did the full loop, non-stop, including the optional bypass in 1:16.
Sounds like Fort Yargo State Park in GA. Amaright?

#7 ·
I've done a two-lap ride at Yargo twice. It kicks my butt. First lap is outer loop with MM and the second is outer loop without MM. It takes me 2:30 but the last half of the second lap is miserable. Every rotation of the pedals is an effort and my only thought is "get me off this bike." It's like hitting the wall when running. I'm fine for the first lap and feel great for the first half of the second lap...then...BAM. Get me off this bike!

I don't know how endurance racers do this for 6, 9, 12 or more hours!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.