breathing helium

On island time...

Ok, so this has nothing to do with mountain biking at all. On my recent family vacation, my whole family got together in Little Cayman, BWI for a week's worth of holidays. Being from the Pac NW, the sun felt VERY nice on my pale, almost opaque colored skin. To give you a little background about Little Cayman, it is only 10 miles long and 2 miles across. There are some cars but not many and most of the people get around the island by bike. We only got in cars to go places in large groups with the kids and lots of gear. Every other trip to the store (the only store!), trips to feed the iguanas, or trips to the airport to welcome or bid farewell to loved ones was done on a bicycle. We biked to snorkel, to kayak, to simply feel the warm breeze in our faces.

During an evening ride to see the red-footed booby and frigate birds returning from a day at sea, my son said, "Dad, a bike is an efficient way of getting around, isn't it?" I agreed. As compared to a car, there just isn't much to go wrong. Of course, there are things which you need cars and trucks for, but you get my point.

Another thing that struck me was that I never wanted to upgrade parts or was even the slightest bit concerned with the weight of the bike or whether the tires were inflated to exactly 30 lbs, etc... It was a functional means of getting from point A to point B. It was a pure passion for the bike as a tool, not a glittery trophy with all the latest technology and gizmos.

Oh, and we even saw Burgess Meredith's old house where he would go to dry out before each movie. Too cool! ...and there was a beeramid.

I know, I know... Sorry, no helmets. There were no helmets, which was a bummer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

avg. joe
    Sounds like a fun time. I just returned from a trip to Fl where I was on no time. Didn't put my watch on for a week ... plain relaxation, can't beat it.

STinGa
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.