Thread: iPod found!

ballbuster

iPod found!

Hi all!

Today (Sunday), I found an iPod in the middle of the road in Marin. Somebody probably left it on the roof of their car and drove off.

PM me a serial number (should be on the original box and/or in the paperwork) or give me some unique identifiers, such as specific iPod model, what time and where you lost it (when you drove off), what acessories were or were not with it, what music, notes, or appointments you have loaded into it to recalim it.

I'm not looking for a reward, I just wanna do the right thing.

Please, serious inquiries only, no wankers.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    i found a 128MB card for my sony camera on a trail a few weeks ago....

high technology finds rule...
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

ballbuster

Yeah, well...

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    i found a 128MB card for my sony camera on a trail a few weeks ago....

high technology finds rule...
    ... I'm not exactly jumping for joy yet. I'm gonna make every effort to find the owner first.

I gotta say, I've always wanted an iPod. Super pimp gear, I tell you what! For what you spend on one of these babies tho, you could build a nice CK wheelset.

mtbr member
    for what _____ spent on it, you'd think they'd keep better track of it. i'd keep it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Do the right thing

Pimpbot,
    Your doing the right thing. I have an Ipod, which I did not lose, but love. I have my name, email address, and phone # on it just in case I do something like forget it some where. All in the hopes that someone would try and return it to me.

Not to long ago my Dad found a really nice watch, and posted lost notices everywhere on the trail and around town. No one called so we kept it with no ill feelings.

On mine it has the name of the owner, under setting > about > (should say the owner here, mine does).

ballbuster

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by piercebrew
    Pimpbot,
    Your doing the right thing. I have an Ipod, which I did not lose, but love. I have my name, email address, and phone # on it just in case I do something like forget it some where. All in the hopes that someone would try and return it to me.

Not to long ago my Dad found a really nice watch, and posted lost notices everywhere on the trail and around town. No one called so we kept it with no ill feelings.

On mine it has the name of the owner, under setting > about > (should say the owner here, mine does).
    Thanks for the tip! The owner name is not there, but I did find that it's a Wintendo version. Too bad, I'm on a Mac. I wonder if it can be flashed to the Mac version?

The other worry is that I do not have the charging dock to go with it, and the battery is at 3/4. I dunno how long it stays on standby.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

it should stay on stand by for awhile

try listing something on craigslist.com, and bayarea thread here(didn't check if you did yet). I would post a flyer where you found it as well. Make every effort to find the owner. If you know that you tried everything to find the owner, and none claims it, then you can consider it a gift from the gods.

mtn biker in a city
    Feb 2004

ipod

doing the right thing buddy.

all wintel ipods are able to run on a mac, if your worry about charging they can be charged via firewire. charging an ipod on my ibook KILLS its battery, literally the 5 hour charge gets 40 minutes while charging an ipod

i'd call apple and see if they can help. if the user is under applecare or has filled out a registration card your having the serial number might give you a name, and address a email.

check craig's list, check the classified ads, also you could make a flyer and put it at the trailhead.

good luck

There's no app for this.

Maybe this'll work

if you can't find the owner and don't think you'll be happy keeping it, get hold of Scott N in Phoenix. 2 years back in an effort to get his wife to the hospital, we drove off in a rush with his digital camera on the roof. Despite many ads and posters it never showed up.

Just a (poorly related, fawlty logic) thought, Jim

Penis Goat!
    Maybe you could try contacting Apple. If the owner registered the iPod, maybe you could get some information about the owner.

jrm
    mtbr member

Thats cool of you to find the owner

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Hi all!

Today (Sunday), I found an iPod in the middle of the road in Marin. Somebody probably left it on the roof of their car and drove off.

PM me a serial number (should be on the original box and/or in the paperwork) or give me some unique identifiers, such as specific iPod model, what time and where you lost it (when you drove off), what acessories were or were not with it, what music, notes, or appointments you have loaded into it to recalim it.

I take it you posted this on craigslist too? how was Tamarancho?

Jm.
    mtbr member
    ... I'm not exactly jumping for joy yet. I'm gonna make every effort to find the owner first.

I gotta say, I've always wanted an iPod. Super pimp gear, I tell you what! For what you spend on one of these babies tho, you could build a nice CK wheelset.
    yeah, well your find is quite a bit different. I gave the card to my friend cause he gave me a 256 a while back.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

ballbuster

I didn't go to Tamancho Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    I take it you posted this on craigslist too? how was Tamarancho?
    But I don't wanna say where I went until I get this iPod thing worked out.

I did post it on Craigslist and left a note at the trailhead.

No luck yet with contacting the owner. I'm gonna try contacting Apple to see if it was registered.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 04-05-2004 at 12:59 PM.

old timer retro grouch...
    But I don't wanna say where I went until I get this iPod thing worked out.

I did post it on Craigslist.

No luck yet with contacting the owner. I'm gonna try contacting Apple to see if it was registered.
    Were there any contacts listed? If so you could try calling/emailing them to see if they know anyong who lost an iPod.

Yes you can make it a Mac iPod. If its a 3g its pretty easy. Not sure how you do it, but my friend just did. For months he was frustrated with his iPod and how it would not sync automatically, he had to manuall upload music (drag and drop), nor could he update the firmware. I looked at it and found out it was formated PC (it was used) and he was on a Mac. Now its all seemless as it should be.

ballbuster

I checked...

...and there were no contacts. There were some notes in there, but nothing that would give away who the owner is, except that this person lives in or visited someplace very far from here (trying not to be specific)... driving directions and such.

ballbuster

I called Apple...

... and the owner did not register it.

mtbr member

Wow, sucks to be that person!

Good on ya for doing the right thing!

A couple of months ago, I found a box in the middle of my parking garage here at work. Didn't want to run over it and decided to throw it in the garbage...it was a Fedexed package with a whole Nextel phone box in it minus the phone. Everything else was there though. Thankfully, I was able to track the owner down with the help of the Nextel people and the receipt in the box. Person works in the same building as me. Felt good to get it back to the person.

Give it until next Monday as the person who lost it may only visit the area where it was lost on weekends, and then after that it's finders keepers.

I was gonna say I lost it and that you could mail it to me in Pennsylvania, but then I didn't want to be called a wanker!
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

The former Blue 'Goose

Interesting.........

Hi all!

I've learned, the hard way, that after our new digital camera was lost or stolen on a
    recent plane flight that labeling things with the users name or address is probably a
    smart thing to do.

I'll edit the files in my iPod so it shows up. It does show up with my name but not
    my e-mail address, phone number or anything like that so I'll get that set-up.

It's really weird that you found an iPod though. How to track down the real owner
    if they were just visiting the area? I suppose Apple computer might have an idea
    but if they never registered the product I guess you're stuck with it for the duration.

What tunes were on it? Any artists that are non-mainstream? (i.e. a local artist
    to a particular area might at least clue you in to the area the owner lived in).

mtbr member
    i still say keep it.

Your Customer Sales Rep
    If this thread gets over 1,000 views and still nobody claims it, its yours! Or at least I think that's the way the law works. Maybe you should hire an attorney. D.
    You be you. I'll be riding.

mtn biker in a city
    Feb 2004

the music might help another way

is the music legal? if its legal and purchased, as to ripped, then you might be able to track down the purchaser. not sure as to apples format, i rip all my tunes (SUPPORT YOUR ARTISTS) into mp3s, but if he has some adc, or whatever the hell they are there should be some licensing bits on there, it could help with identifying the owner

old timer retro grouch...
    If all else fails, save the music to CDs, and use it. Should the owner ever contact you again you can wipe it and put the old music back on. I know if I lost my iPod I'd wouldn't care if the person did as much as you did before stacking a claim on it. My own stupid fault and I'd just be glad to have it back.

Ride what you want!!
    Hey Erich, the thing is yours... you've gone above and beyond, enjoy your good fortune.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

ballbuster

Yeah, I'm starting to think..

Quote Originally Posted by george_da_trog
    Hey Erich, the thing is yours... you've gone above and beyond, enjoy your good fortune.

george
    .... it's time to make a trip to the Apple store and get a dock.

I called the ranger station today and left my number. Nobody reported a lost iPod in the last week, and the ranger said something about 'found property' on a state road.

I don't feel 100% good about it, but SCORE!

mtbr member

I wouldn't worry about it anymore, but...

... make sure you get a receipt for your Dock purchase and make sure you're clear on their return policy because once you shell out the cash, plug in the dock and iPod, you're gonna get a call from the original owner asking if you still have "his" iPod and he'd like to reward you (say $5) for your troubles. Ain't that always the way?

.... it's time to make a trip to the Apple store and get a dock.

I called the ranger station today and left my number. Nobody reported a lost iPod in the last week, and the ranger said something about 'found property' on a state road.

I don't feel 100% good about it, but SCORE!
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"