Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    horizontally compliant

Iowa MTB ~VIDEO~

Yeah, our rocks are buried under a couple hundred feet of topsoil and our "mountains" are only a few hundred feet high, but we still have some fun, unique trails. For a first effort I think the video turned out pretty well (except for the case that obviously needs trimmed). I hope you enjoy it.

Iowa MTB Video - 36 MB, 9 minutes

Sorry - trail location must remain undisclosed...

Hup, Hup
    Sweet video! Way to give props to the Iowa trails! Being a fellow Iowan, I feel that you can go ahead and tell me where these trails are even if you have to do it by e-mail . BTW, nice music selection, fits the video very well. I do believe that video made my day.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

mtbr member
    Nice video and soundtrack. It's all about the ride. Location is secondary.

jps

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton
    Yeah, our rocks are buried under a couple hundred feet of topsoil and our "mountains" are only a few hundred feet high, but we still have some fun, unique trails. For a first effort I think the video turned out pretty well (except for the case that obviously needs trimmed). I hope you enjoy it.

Great video man, looks a lot like all the trails I learned to ride on back in IA. I'm a native Dubuquer and went to college at UNI. I love the tight, winding singletrack for the helmetcam. Gives it that Return of the Jedi effect. The setting looks familiar but I don't think it's anyplace I've ever ridden (Waverly maybe?). Keep 'em coming!
    Last edited by catch22; 10-28-2005 at 09:49 AM. Reason: sucky cut and pasting
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Yappy little dog!

Good Stuff!

Don't let anyone tell you there is anything wrong with those trails. It looks just like the stuff we have here in South Jersey, Delaware, and North Eastern Maryland. Smooth, fast, twisty singletrack. I have just as much fun riding that stuff as anypalce else I have ridden. It's all what you make of it. I've been to Iowa a few times. At least you weren't riding through corn fields and pig farms.

What lake was in the video, or was it the Mississippi (I think I saw a bridge)?

mtbr member
    Fun video- I got up from my desk and started dancing! Always makes a guy feel good passing a full quiver of arrows!!! I can't stop whistling. Thats not Waverly but looks great!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Nice work! It gave me a good feel for the trail. Gotta love the white Dockers riding slacks!

Yappy little dog!

Mr. Blackwell says...

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Nice work! It gave me a good feel for the trail. Gotta love the white Dockers riding slacks!

And after labor day, no less. Tisk tisk!

Witty McWitterson
    Tasty!

That is one nicely done video(now on the HD, and will be played through the winter TYVM), and one spankin' good looking trail. Gotta love the midwest!

Really should get over that way for a ride sometime...
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member

Reminds me of...

Brown's Woods in Des Moines. Now an off-limits riding area I've heard. It was pretty sweet when I was in school down there from '92-'96.

horizontally compliant
    Thanks for all the complements. It was a fun vid to put together.

As far as the white pants go - next time I'll request that he wear something pink & frilly, or maybe black & lacy

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    PRIMO: **** Wow and that was your 1st effort huh--better than some of the vets here.

sigh--more buff ST--I can't take much more of no flow too techie Oahu---counting down the last months here.

That Iowa trail really has flow--your footage brought it out beautifully!

What is song number 2--I need to download that one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Nice Simpleton, very nice!!!!....

I think I know where that trail is, but I'll keep me mouth shut. Nice video, good music and excellent flow. You really captured the trail I think. Nice job man!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Currently in Exile

Three words

Puff Puff Give.

Nice video and interesting music choice. I'll have to watch it again while not under the influence of 50 some odd ounces of Amber Bach.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    What is song number 2--I need to download that one.
    The band name is Orbital, album is "Orbital 2" (also known as the Brown Album). Track is #5, "Impact". I've ridden with it playing in the headphones many times ...

Simpleton, nice vid!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    Brown's Woods in Des Moines. Now an off-limits riding area I've heard. It was pretty sweet when I was in school down there from '92-'96.
    [TANGENT] Let's discuss Brown's Woods. I went to school there (UOMHS, now DMU) from '94-'98 and rode Brown's regularly. That was a nice in-town gem, and I wouldn't mind riding midwest woods like that again. It got posted off-limits in '96 if I recall, and after that we were limited to the fishermens' paths near the river, the trails behind the Science Center, or would have to drive either to Lake Ahquabi or Sugarbottom. Any chance we rode together? [/TANGENT]

mtbr member

props

Mad props on your video man. It does far more to make me want to ride than any of the Cranked, New World Disorder, or most any other mtb video on the market. It's a trail that I could ride and enjoy, not an endless series of huge drops, gaps and hucks. The music is excellent. Not the screamkillhatedeathmetal of freeride videos, but the sort of stuff I like to play in my mental jukebox on rides. Y'all are real people, with riding skills like mine. I'd probably biff it on the log, screw up a few turns and run out of momentum on a roller just like you.

Here's to real riding with real people.

Hank.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton

I enjoyed it, great flow and music too. One small request, could you double the bit rate? That video is too good to suffer pixel smudge.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

thx

thx for the info Dave..
    I have checked it out on Rhapsody and as I type I'm downloading the work album on my favorite download spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave.
    The band name is Orbital, album is "Orbital 2" (also known as the Brown Album). Track is #5, "Impact". I've ridden with it playing in the headphones many times ...

Simpleton, nice vid!

resident crackpot
    Wow Simpleton, that's a great video! I saw what you meant by needing to trim some more, but I would just leave it. It adds a bit of reality. Very nicely done as well. I read the whole thread before I watched the vid and like everyone else, damn fine job!

That's one fine trail too. I am now going to employ my Jedi mind powers....

You will log into your email...You will give me coordinates and direction to this trail...We will hook up with a few trusted friends and ride the trail together...This will be good for us all...

I think it is going to work. One other thing, the section of trail by the ravine, I gotta ride that.

Latah~

Demon Cleaner

Wish I'd known about it...

Wish I'd known the trail during my years in Iowa. Would have made life there more barable. I gave up biking in Iowa after a couple of years. No duration to any of the rides. No hills. No technical. bla

But that is a nice flowy looking tail. Iowa needs more trails and more folks recognizing the need to give Iowans outdoor recreation options. I hear there are some nice trails now by Boone too.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

horizontally compliant
    Thanks for the kind words. I've watched a lot of videos on this site & I think I had a pretty good feel for how to make a good one based on them and from the info at petefagerlin.com and mountainbikebill.com. Kind of one of those "standing on the shoulders of giants" things.

That Orbital song has always seemed like the perfect MTB tune. It's like a soundtrack for a perfectly functioning mind-body-bike-trail connection. If you liked that tune you should probably pick up the cd (does anybody buy cd's anymore?). Halcyon + On + On is one of the most dead sexy beautiful songs that I've ever had the pleasure of surrendering my conciousness to...

Matt

horizontally compliant
    Your Jedi mind powers have been thwarted by a disturbance in the force.

"Mail Server unavailable"

When did MTBR start hosting my email???

I'll try my email again on Monday after the sysadmin has had time to fix it. God knows he won't be working on a weekend..

mtbr member

That was Sweet!

That made me homesick for my trails back in MD.Man that looked like a fun ride.Thanks for sharing.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

I like!

As another fellow Iowa'n, I must say that looks good to me. I am going to throw a guess into the air and say the location is in the Losses Hills area on the west coast of Iowa.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast