Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

richeyr
    May 2004
    It is a new trend. I am a PE teacher in the city of Indianapolis and I have noticed students riding bike with no brakes. Yes, it is very stupid riding a bike without brakes. To the students it's a cool factor, a rush of sorts. I am glad this problem is getting some publicity. Thanks for sharing.
    Live Life or Watch it go by. I'd rather be living it!

paintbucket
    That Michael Allocca, bike racer, is one smart cookie.....
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Freshly Fujified

Justification

From one of the young geniuses:

"We just take the brakes off because it is easier to ride and stuff. Like, I don't know, it is better because sometimes the brakes get in the way," says Michael Allocca, bike racer.

"Do you think it is dangerous?" asks Leigh.

"Yeah, but it is fun, like I don't know. It is better not to have brakes then to have brakes, I don't know," says Michael Allocca, bike racer.

My personal thoughts-"Like, ya know, I DO know-it's f$*&ng assinine, ya know?.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Hey this has been going on forever, it's called natural selection.

Shreddin the Cul de Sac
    I could have sworn that the Raleigh Rampar BMX race bike I had as a kid came from the bike shop with rear brakes only.
    keep moving

Foreign Entity
    Quite a few kids bikes come without front brakes, but they have both cantilever/v-brakes/caliper brakes and coaster brakes on the back wheel.

Reading the whole article, the cop is a little misinformed too, but the kids removing brakes are just begging for something bad to happen. I certainly don't see how brakes get in the way or how removing them makes the bike faster (other than weight losses which I can't see these kids being concerned about).

Pedal Damnit

good

more air for the rest of us. Darwinism works
    Lost in Texaslation

jrm
    mtbr member

Tells ya something about the parents..

Quote Originally Posted by aharris
    and their resonsibility for the safety of their children.

Samsonite Tester

Weight weenie to the core

I removed my brakes and now just carry a stick to slam in my spokes when ever I need to stop.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Crumb-tumbler
    Go to the skate parks and see what these "intelligent youths" are doing, (and what happens to their brakes when the don't quite 'do it') and maybe you will all have different opinions. I know many kids who ride without brakes--some of them because they can't afford them, but most who just never use them anyway.

Much like the people in the article who never use the lessons learned in elementary school english
    Quote Originally Posted by mward
    Everyone is so angry, and they're even angrier if people don't think like they do. Damnit, don't you think like me? NO? DIE!!! It's like road rage. Just because people aren't discussing exactly what you want, as you like it to be discussed, they must be all wrong. That's just all wrong. Your disgust at my disgust at your disgust is disgusting.

richeyr
    May 2004
    Thanks for the laugh Evel, I needed it!
    Live Life or Watch it go by. I'd rather be living it!

Rolling
    The problem is that the flintstones is not on saturday morning anymore. If it was, these kids would know how to stop!

locked - time out
    Didn't read the article, but I can say - based on what I've seen first-hand that many of the guys riding brakeless at the local skatepark are smoother than anything I've seen (including the likes of AC, Lenosky, etc...). I've read several statements from BMXers going brakeless and many of them said that it made no sense to run brakes that didn't work anyhow, which I suppose could be a big deal if you're a broke kid.

You know that someone is dialed on their bike when they can ride the front wheel of a brakeless bike for 20 feet or manual the same bike 300 yards or so while snaking through a skatepark.

I imagine that the learning curve must be a real b1tch though.

Freshly Fujified

I'm confused

Quote Originally Posted by mrwizard
    Go to the skate parks and see what these "intelligent youths" are doing, (and what happens to their brakes when the don't quite 'do it') and maybe you will all have different opinions. I know many kids who ride without brakes--some of them because they can't afford them, but most who just never use them anyway.

Much like the people in the article who never use the lessons learned in elementary school english
    Perhaps you can enlighten me as to "what happens to their brakes when the don't quite 'do it' " I have no clue what this statement means, but then again, I'm old and dense.

Can't afford brakes? Help me out on this one too. I'm pretty sure that all bikes, even the department store bikes come with brakes. Unless the kids are doing builds from scratch, or buying used bikes whose brakes have already been removed, then there's simply no excuse.

It just seems irresponsible to even attempt at justifying these kids riding without brakes.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=Ray_from_SA]Quite a few kids bikes come without front brakes, but they have both cantilever/v-brakes/caliper brakes and coaster brakes on the back wheel.[QUOTE]

Maybe the Huffy's, but when I was a kid racing BMX one RARELY more than the rear caliper brakes on the higher race models. My DB Formula 1 only had a rear caliper brake. No coaster. I suspect that is still true today on the racing models. Freestyle on the other hand almost always had front and rear calipers unless the guy riding was involved with spinning their handlebars around. Until the "new" brake system (the one that allows you to spin the bars 360 without tangling the cables) came out then it seemed all freestyle bikes had both brakes.

Riding without a way to stop though??? I'd tan my kids hide for being that stupid.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Perhaps you can enlighten me as to "what happens to their brakes when the don't quite 'do it' " I have no clue what this statement means, but then again, I'm old and dense.

Can't afford brakes? Help me out on this one too. I'm pretty sure that all bikes, even the department store bikes come with brakes. Unless the kids are doing builds from scratch, or buying used bikes whose brakes have already been removed, then there's simply no excuse.

It just seems irresponsible to even attempt at justifying these kids riding without brakes.
    I think that he was probably just referring to the fact that alot of the kids riding without brakes (save for those trying to emulate those who actually have skill) are not the kids trying wheelies on the way to the arcade, but rather those who are doing tailwhips, barsspins, etc... 10 feet out of an 8 foot quarter. Having the ability to spin your bars / bike 360 degrees without having the brakes lock up (because the cable is being stretched around the headset), requires that you run a significant amount of extra cable, which reduces the performance of most already crummy BMX brakes to the point that they are useless. I've tried all sorts of stuff to get the brakes on my daughter's BMX bike to work (they're U brakes) - but I still can't manage to get more power out of them than I could apply using my index finger and thumb as brakes - it's ridiculous. For the record, my daughter doesn't ride this bike on the street.

Not that I'm trying to justify anything, I consider it the rider's perogative to keep himself in one piece - just figured I'd offer a different perspective.
    Last edited by s1ngletrack; 05-11-2005 at 10:08 AM.

Freshly Fujified

Makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    I think that he was probably just referring to the fact that alot of the kids riding without brakes (save for those trying to emulate those who actually have skill) are not the kids trying wheelies on the way to the arcade, but rather those who are doing tailwhips, barsspins, etc... 10 feet out of an 8 foot quarter. Having the ability to spin your bars / bike 360 degrees without having the brakes lock up (because the cable is being stretched around the headset), requires that you run a significant amount of extra cable, which reduces the performance of most already crummy BMX brakes to the point that they are useless. I've tried all sorts of stuff to get the brakes on my daughter's BMX bike to work (they're U brakes) - but I still can't manage to get more power out of them than I could apply using my index finger and thumb as brakes - it's ridiculous. For the record, my daughter doesn't ride this bike on the street.
    I can understand the issue with the front brake cable and barspins. Wouldn't a coaster brake on the backend be suitable?

locked - time out
    I can understand the issue with the front brake cable and barspins. Wouldn't a coaster brake on the backend be suitable?
    I wouldn't think so, alot of the stuff the good riders are pulling off lately are highly technical tricks involving pedal kicks (rotation of the cranks during some sort of no-footed aerial) and the like. I think that the take of alot of these riders is that riding without brakes forces the rider to become much smoother by pushing him / her to keep their momentum in check or adapt to obstacles with greater fluidity - I totally agree after having watched many of them ride, but rather enjoy the luxury of being able to pay my mortgage and eat solid foods, personally. I'm sure that the "macho" bit factors in there somewhere - but have a hard time believing that this is the deciding factor for many of the kids I've seen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    I wouldn't think so, alot of the stuff the good riders are pulling off lately are highly technical tricks involving pedal kicks (rotation of the cranks during some sort of no-footed aerial) and the like. I think that the take of alot of these riders is that riding without brakes forces the rider to become much smoother by pushing him / her to keep their momentum in check or adapt to obstacles with greater fluidity - I totally agree after having watched many of them ride, but rather enjoy the luxury of being able to pay my mortgage and eat solid foods, personally. I'm sure that the "macho" bit factors in there somewhere - but have a hard time believing that this is the deciding factor for many of the kids I've seen.

Message boards are sooo funny, no matter the obvious, there's always an arguement against the point. Come on really?

How the hell does a rear caliper brake interfere with the rider or ride? That's like saying people driving cars with no brakes do it because it forces them to inticipate red lights and be more fluid.

Can't afford it? Come on, what's a rear brake and lever cost? 20? maybe 40? for a entry level set?

I can sort of see why it might not be all that nessesary on a half-pipe or on some stunts, but for street riding? As ABC's John Stossel says: GIVE ME A BREAK!

As for tricks,,,what about a gyro?

I thought a gyro solved all those probs with cables

Crumb-tumbler
    Quote Originally Posted by fatmat71
    How the hell does a rear caliper brake interfere with the rider or ride? That's like saying people driving cars with no brakes do it because it forces them to inticipate red lights and be more fluid.

Can't afford it? Come on, what's a rear brake and lever cost? 20? maybe 40? for a entry level set?

I can sort of see why it might not be all that nessesary on a half-pipe or on some stunts, but for street riding?
    It doesn't interfere with the rider. Most who ride brakeless just don't need brakes, it's that simple. They're not the people cruising around town with headphones, these are the kids that throw the bmx bikes in the back of the pickup and head down to the skatepark for three hours. There is just no comparison to driving a car or even riding singletrack--it's just not the same thing.

Really, guys--check out the skatepark next time you see one, you'll be impressed. I've seen kids flying full-out toward the edge of a bowl, backflip out of it and land in front of his friends for a chat. Crazy $hit.

Now, let me take a moment to say I am NOT one of these people who can ride brakeless, nor would I even want to. I'm with most of you in thinking it's crazy in a natural-selection-kinda-way. But then, I don't ride at the skatepark...
    Everyone is so angry, and they're even angrier if people don't think like they do. Damnit, don't you think like me? NO? DIE!!! It's like road rage. Just because people aren't discussing exactly what you want, as you like it to be discussed, they must be all wrong. That's just all wrong. Your disgust at my disgust at your disgust is disgusting.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by fatmat71
    Message boards are sooo funny, no matter the obvious, there's always an arguement against the point. Come on really?

I can sort of see why it might not be all that nessesary on a half-pipe or on some stunts, but for street riding? As ABC's John Stossel says: GIVE ME A BREAK!

You're right. Thanks, it was good to hear the opinion of someone with his finger on the pulse of the street / park scene. I should've consulted someone in the know before I spouted off with such silliness.

Crumb-tumbler

I was talking about the crazy/seemingly suicidal stuff they do, and what happens to their brakes and brake levers when they don't quite 'do it'. As in, they crash.

Now, what I do think is crazy is the couple of people I know that go brakeless on their 26" dirt jumpers. Maniacs, the lot of them.

Old School
    Jul 2004

they're a bunch of blamethrowers!

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee
    I could have sworn that the Raleigh Rampar BMX race bike I had as a kid came from the bike shop with rear brakes only.
    ABA ( the BMX racing organization) does not allow front brakes. you may not race if you have front brakes. It didn't used to be that way, but somehwere along the way they made that rule. why? I don't know.

That bike had a functioning rear brake. you can see the cable in the picture. what's the fuss? how about all the little kid bikes with just a coaster rear brake?

kids ride bikes, kids crash bikes, some die
    some, like me lose 8 teeth and break their nose because the forks weren't heat treated after welding and they break like glass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast