Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    7am Backcountry ;- )

Inguinal Hernia - Passion Killer?

So my passion has been ruined as of late, the Inguinal Hernia (from heavy deadlifts at the gym ) usually gives the deciding vote on whether I ride or not. Recessed = ride, protruding = sofa

I'm petrified of getting surgery and becoming one of the 30% of people with long term pain, mesh rejection, reocurance with a second hernia etc

The FDA is full of thousands of problems with Mesh used in hernia repairs >>>

MAUDE Adverse Event Report

and forums are full of surgerys gone wrong with people far worse off than before

The Hernia Support Forum :: View Forum - Surgery Feedback

I'm hoping you guys can reignite my passion with personal hernia op success stories, or experience of living with a hernia and still biking!
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i had surgery back in 08, im good as ever now! Although I do have the occasional nightmare where its back haha. There are time that I have discomfort but i think as long as you build your ab muscles back up once your able to work out, you won't have too many problems!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I had the surgery at 18, I'm now 29, I haven't had any issues. It sucks for a week or so, can't laugh, cough, or move real well but just take it easy and you'll be fine. Just take time and relax after, don't try to push it to quickly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My wife had it done 20 years ago, they used the mesh and she's had no problems. As utsamtber points out, strengthen the abs once you get the all clear sign from the doc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I guarantee that the repair will be better than a strangulated or incarcerated hernia.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    30% is way too high, I did a ton of research on this. There are three alternatives to deal with this: 1) muscular-tying repair, 2) traditional mesh repair, and 3) laparoscopic mesh repair.

1 is done at a place in Canada, you stay there for a week, it has super-low recurrence and no foreign bodies put inside you. It is a complex surgery, and the place only does that and nothing else, so they are very good at it. If you are really freaked out about mesh, get this one.

Hernia Hospital | Best Hernia Repair Clinic & Hernia Treatment Information - Shouldice Hospital

2 has a super-low recurrence rate if the surgeon has done it a zillion times. It takes 2 - 3 weeks to recover and is basically hell for the first week. Abdomen surgery is not to be taken lightly.

3 has a still very low, yet higher recurrence rate because that part of the body has a ton of stuff going on there, it is a pathway for lots of channels of stuff, and its harder to see with laparoscopic. However, I've read reports of people back at work in 3 or 4 days. Much, much less cutting, so recovery is incredibly improved.

Centers that focus on one thing are better than general surgeons in terms of macro-statistics of success rates. There is a place in LA that does the laparoscopic surgery:

PacificHerniaRepair.com - Expert Hernia Repair In Los Angeles for over 20 Years

If you are really really freaked out by it all just go to Shouldice and let them take care of everything. They tie the muscles together in the tear area, and it is very 'natural'.

Next I'd suggest looking into the LA place, or if you can find something similar closer to you wherever you are, but of course do a lot of research, and lastly finding a local surgeon with a lot of experience.

Maybe the number you are reading, I did find this, 30 - 40% of people had post-operative pain or numbness, and that number is being used improperly for 'recurrence' which is another number that is *far* smaller. Post op pain or numbness? Geez, that should be 100%......

Note, and this goes for mtn bike repairs, car repairs, etc., that site you linked to above has almost 100% of the people there having had problems. People who go on with their lives and are completely fine don't go there and type in, 3 years later, 'everything is great, no problems' so just keep that in mind. The other side of course is that frames do break, and I'm sure all of those people are sharing real experiences.

Good luck! When it is over, and if all went well, you get 100% of everything back. And, what is great, is that (road) biking is actually one of the first things I was able to do again, it doesn't seem to use that area in particular, situps I waited a long long time to start again. That said, I'm not going to do high-weight squats . And anyhow people say they don't do some of those for biking anyhow anymore, they recommend forward or reverse single-leg lunges with freeweights (but 60 lbs will kill you on one of those - even 30 is hard) so its not high-weight work. Or the one with one foot on the bench, and then you do a lunge? Anyway just to say high-weight squatting is no longer considered a 'best of breed' exercise for mtn biking. People are heading towards single-leg stability style presses - like what we do on a bike!

You want a success story - I did an 70 mile, 7000 ft or so ride maybe 5 months later? Though it was 40% road 60% mtn, but all uphill was mtn, road part was to connect various rides.

It goes without saying, anyone reading this should do their own research about everything, I have no idea what I'm talking about, I have no qualifications for anything, and am only mentioning ideas that should be discussed with your doctor, etc., etc.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I'm a pro! Being an aged A/C contractor, pushing/ lifting too much weight over the years.

I've had a few repairs, different symptoms, different sides. Probably generic deficiencies.
    I belong to Facey medical here in So. Cal.
    Great recovery from each procedure. Was on a trainer in maybe a couple weeks, went to the trails in maybe 3 or 4 weeks.
    Absolutely no residual issues whatsoever, I'd do them all again given living with a hernia.

mtbr member
    IMO, you're way too worried about such a simple procedure. As long as you find a good surgeon and you actually REST long enough to let it heal, you`ll be fine. I had double-inguinal (one on each side) and I survived...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I had the laparoscopic mesh repair about two years ago. Very little pain and I didn't need pain meds. Dr. told me not to ride for two weeks. I had surgery on a Tue and ran up the mountain on that Friday, back to work on Monday. I started riding 10 days after the surgery (almost waited two seeks). I have ridden about 5000 miles since and also been lifting and doing deadlifts with no problems.

mso
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Ih

How old are you? Complications generally increase the older you are. If you are a young adult, <30, good chance it is a congenital defect. That is now noticeable. Over 50 and the likelihood increases that it is more related to the imtegrit of the tissue (think sidewall of a tire). Complications either way are quite low, but the younger you are, the less likely a complication. If you are really worried, get a second opinion (your insurance will pay for it). Good luck - mark

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've a buddy that had it done at Shouldice a few years ago and he now continues to race road semi-pro and no issues. Everyone else that I have heard that has had it done there has had no issues at all.

I've a patient that is in need of the work as well and has been to Shouldice for the initial consult and he was sent home. He is a candidate for the surgery but apparently Shouldice is very picky on body weight and was given a strict diet and told to come back in a few weeks after loosing some weight. I am assuming there is a correlation between excess body weight and the success of the surgery in their research. But the results speak for themselves with their success, so it is hard to complain.

I don't know how many they do in a day, but I know you are well taken care of and walk out of there once it is done.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    I just had the double patchwork done on Jan. 27th and feel good . Can't do any chin ups yet , but I'm getting there . If you get a good doctor you'll be fine . The doctor I went to said he has done 6,000 of these and only had one needed to be removed . I work with two guys that went to him also with no problems . Just don't look it up on the internet . All you will find is the negative stuff .

7am Backcountry ;- )
    thanks for experiences so far guys

The hernia doesnt really give me any pain so i'm loathe to have surgery if it could leave me worse off. Strangulation risk when the hernia is protruded, and the cosmetics of the lump are the main things bothering me. I guess its a valid point that all the sucessful operations dont go online and rave about it.

Although after reading posts so far i'm feeling a bit better about it all now! I'm 32, 13 stone and 11% bodyfat, so pretty fit from biking and the gym. This should put me at better odds of quick recovery?
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I had an inguinal hernia about 8 months ago. I think I got it from PT on my knee. Heavy raising / lowering leg presses, etc. It never really hurt.

Anyway, got surgery (mesh) lapriscopic. I am mid 20s and it took me about 5 days to be up and around and 3 weeks to be full bore back to biking, wakeboarding, etc. My doctor was of the "if it feels ok, do whatever you want after 2 weeks" mentality.

Anyway, I am happy I did it -- I don't think I would've been happy living with that for the rest of my life. If it happens on the other side, I won't hesitate to get it surgically repaired.

PM me if you want more details, doctor info, etc. I was pretty pleased with how mine went.

mtbr member
    I had the mesh surgery about 13 years ago. No problems. After a couple weeks, I didn't even know it was there. I wish my other surgeries were as problem free as that one.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So what are the symptoms?

^^worst ninja.....ever.
    I lived with one of these...a rather large one for quite a few years before getting it fixed. Really, that wasn't very smart as lot's of bad things could have happened. Riding actually made mine feel much better, in fact it would retract anytime I rode (or laid down also) and I never had any pain while riding. (Of course, NONE OF THIS is meant to be ANY kind of advice) I had mine fixed well over 10 years ago and have zero issues. Since then I've been through the military (running, sit-ups, heavy lifting, etc, etc...). I did have the full-on mesh as it was far to large to have a laproscopic procedure done. Find a really good surgeon, and you should be fine.
    Brought to you by and coming from: The department of redundancy department.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I had the surgery about 25 years ago. No mesh. Doc in VT only did them that way, and said he'd done over 800 with great results.
    I would have put it off but my doctor said if it strangulated in the backcountry I'd have major problems and might not survive it. So it was not have any fun summer or winter or get the surgery.
    I was back on a bike in one week. For a very gentle ride, but still riding. Took about 2 months to completely forget about it. No issues after that.
    Just find a good surgeon and get it done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I had the surgery done seven or eight years ago and have had no problems. The first week is pretty bad but after that things start to improve. You will be off teh bike for maybe a month but take that time to rest and let it heal properly.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Been there, Done that - October 2010 @ age 43. The hernia didn't cause pain at first but it did after a while. I did a century ride 3 days before my surgery then was off the bike for a little under a month. They tried to do it laparoscopically but once they "got in there" the decided it was bigger than they expected so the did it traditionally. No problems a year an a half later. Mild pain once an a while but that describes just about every part of my body at this point ->All gravity tests have been positive.

I'd say git r done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Same here. Hernia first protruded when I was early 20's, I think around 21. Finally when I was 28 it popped out and wouldn't regress so I had surgery. Why did I ever wait so long??? Surgery was a breeze and back on the bike in a few weeks. Wouldn't hesitate to do it over again. 2 years later and ZERO issues.
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Thanks for all the encouragement, it seems the odds get restored a little when you ask on a forum of generally healthy bikers!

I've done a lot of research now and found a place in the UK 250 miles from me, which only carries out hernia ops, day in day out. They boast a lower than NHS complication + reocurrance rate.

It seems pretty good?

Read the after the operation bit, they reckon with their technique its possible to ride a bike within 45 mins, and its all performed under a local

HERNIA INFORMATION

will cost me 1800, but compared to the NHS which is free and full of horror stories I think it seems money well spent!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Had the mesh 10 years ago. Back to full speed after a month. I can tell you that I don't regret having the repair done as it sucked before with the hernia.

mtbr member
    WOW I got so many of you guys beat!

I had my first surgery for my RT Inguinal Hernia Waaaaaay back sometime around 1990.
    Possibly due to working in the oilfields of West Texas and shoeing horses ( heavy lifting in bad ways ), I must have weakened that area.
    The surgeon (Oklahoma) made this BIG incision across my lower abdominal area (at least it's a bikini cut... not that I look better than my GF in a bikini though lol ).
    I figure in his pre-medicine days he must have been a mechanic on pre-80's pickup trucks... the ones where you could open the hood, climb up into the engine compartment, and fix the dang thing!

So some years later... SPROING!!!! ... here comes ole hernia again! Same place!
    Surgery #2 and this time a new surgeon (Alaska) really made a mesh out of it! hahaha... I was waiting for someone else to say that!
    So I got the mesh through the same incision as before although this guy tried to clean up the scar a bit.

So, 5, 6, maybe 7 years later... SPROING!!!!!
    Yep! One more time.
    This buddy of mine thinks he can do a helluva lot better job than the two surgeons did previously... he actually did his own vasectomy according to local legend! :thumbs:

I say, " Sure thing bro! Give it a try!"

After a few beers, a couple of shots, and a nice long toke, we're ready!

He does it and it's been fine ever since!
    j/k about the prep....

I hope it stays healed now because he retired from surgical practice (well, I do see him drop in at the hospital to help with the occasional surgery every once-in-a-while).

I figure the failed repairs were due to PT noncompliance . Yep, I'm not a very patient patient! LOL
    I highly recommend you follow all lifting restrictions for at least the timeframe given to you by your surgeon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    as others have said - get it done!

its not that big a deal and all the pain you have now will be over so fast. You will be back on the bike in a few weeks. Post surgery pain was bad for 1-2 days then moderate pain for a week - not bad when you think of it

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast