Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Inguinal Hernia - Passion Killer?

I just started to get back into biking again after a 10 year hiatus and found out I had a right inguinal hernia (not from biking). I just had the laparoscopy mesh repair yesterday and hoping to be back on the bike in a couple weeks!

I picked up a couple year old gary fisher tassajara and was really getting into riding again. Stoked to get back out there. First post by the way...I like the forum so far.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dballs View Post
    I just started to get back into biking again after a 10 year hiatus and found out I had a right inguinal hernia (not from biking). I just had the laparoscopy mesh repair yesterday and hoping to be back on the bike in a couple weeks!

I picked up a couple year old gary fisher tassajara and was really getting into riding again. Stoked to get back out there. First post by the way...I like the forum so far.
    Make sure to get your riding in two weeks cleared from your surgeon. I waited as long as my surgeon wanted and then some before I even got on the bike. You don't want to injure it again because you're impatient. When you do start riding again, take it easy.

Forums are good, a lot of good info here!

-mtdrew

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Definitely... I will wait for the all clear.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    It is almost 1 year past my inguinal surgery and so far it has been great. I waited 10 weeks to ride after the surgery but I walked as soon as I could do it. I was walking about a couple of weeks after the surgery and passed the time doing that and taking pictures. The 10 weeks went by quickly.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hernia Hospital | Best Hernia Repair Clinic & Hernia Treatment Information - Shouldice Hospital
    This is the best place in the world for hernia surgery, literally. Check it out. I was there years ago, and have had no problems since. People come from around the world for hernia surgery.

mtbr member
    I had the open mesh surgery a couple years ago and my Dr told me to wait 10 to 14 days before riding. He also said at that point I would only feel like a easy 30 min spin in my hood, he was right. He also told me at that point to just ride as much as my body felt like doing. I gradually increased my riding time and in about 3 weeks I was riding my favorite trail as if nothing had happened.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well add me to the club, getting sliced next week. This will be my 2nd (1st was 10 years ago and was NOT an enjoyable experience, took 3 months to get back on a bike). New doctor and laprascopic this time, but still really worried how it will affect my summer riding. In IL you only get a good 6 months of riding and those 6 months are just about to start.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Update. Today is exactly 2 weeks from my laparoscopy repair and I am doing very well
    Doc told me the same thing as dicky. Ride until it feels uncomfortable and gradually increase. I saw him yesterday and he said resume normal activity just minimize lifting real heavy stuff.. When/if pain is felt to back down a bit.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    dballs... are you saying you've been able to get back on the bike? Slow road rides I'm assuming?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I got the OK from the doc yesterday. I haven't tried it yet but will in the next couple days. I definitely feel as though I could do a lap around the village.

He said to get active today so I have been doing lots of general medium duty work. Moving step ladders, scraping wallpaper, painting, repairing drywall, moved 4 car tires with rims, picking up sticks and debris in the lawn. Feeling good though. I am shocked at how well I feel after just 2 weeks.

I was worried about damaging the work they did from sitting on the bike seat because it's in the same area but the doc said it's not possible and to go ahead and ride.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That's great to hear... there are so many horror stories out there that posts like this make me feel better about the whole thing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I was freaking too but it wasn't too bad. From the sounds of it they are improving the ways they do the repair. I heard a lot of stories about being down 6-8 weeks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hey all, I just thought I'd provide a quick update as I'd appreciate this kind of info before going under the knife. I had two hernias repaired two weeks ago today. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The worse part for me was the after effects of the anesthesia. Compared to my 1st repair that I had 10 years ago, it was a piece of cake. Pain is pretty much gone and I feel 90% back to normal again. I'm gonna try a quick road ride tonight after work. I would recommend this surgeon to anyone and wouldn't hesitate to go back. PM me if you are able to drive to the Milwaukee area and want his name (I feel weird posting it on a public message board.) My last bit of advice, if you are reading this and are having a repair done in Wheaton, IL, feel free to send me a PM with your docs name, as the one individual I had experience with (the repair from 10 years ago) was a complete butcher. The pain and experience was horrible compared to this latest repair. One of the two hernias I had repaired this time around was a fix of what he did 10 years ago....
    Last edited by zeppman; 04-27-2013 at 04:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

That's good to hear. I am at about 4 weeks from the surgery and would say I'm back to 100%. The doc gave the OK to resume full activity at 3 weeks. I have been riding a lot along with plenty of manual labor and lots of lifting. Minimally invasive robotic surgery is an amazing thing. I will also place the offer of the surgeons name if you are south of Buffalo in the western southern tier of NY via PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dballs View Post
    That's good to hear. I am at about 4 weeks from the surgery and would say I'm back to 100%. The doc gave the OK to resume full activity at 3 weeks. I have been riding a lot along with plenty of manual labor and lots of lifting. Minimally invasive robotic surgery is an amazing thing. I will also place the offer of the surgeons name if you are south of Buffalo in the western southern tier of NY via PM.
    Robotic? Tell us more about that.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

That's what they called it? I am honestly not sure. Maybe it just means laparoscopy

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Update 8 months on still not had it done,

still go to the gym, still bike, in fact the hernia dissapears for days after a biking or gym session, almost stengthens the core in some sort of way?

I'm planning to get it done private at the British Hernia Centre, but need to book 2 weeks off work and save up some cash first.

I've had too many friends get complications through the NHS .

ps. have a read of this

The man who was instrumental in the NHS move towards watchful waiting is Professor Jonathan Meakins, a former Nuffield Professor of Surgery at Oxford. He himself has lived with two hernias - 'one on the right, one on the left, had them for 20 years, both symptom-free' - that he's never had treated or repaired.

Why are men being refused surgery for their hernias? | Mail Online

and this is where i'm planning to get mine repaired

How your hernia can be banished for good | Mail Online
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

7am Backcountry ;- )
    **UPDATE

Morning guys,

I'm now sitting here 4 days after my Hernia op! Went to the British Hernia Centre, and had the op done by Martin Kurzer who uses the tension free repair method (a slightly modified Lichtenstein repair Martin Kurzer FRCS - Types of repair ). Open surgery under local aneasthetic to numb the area, and a sedative which includes morphine to take the edge off. The op took 45 minutes and I was talking to them throughout, felt more like 20 minutes.

Day 1- 2 is when the pain started! Mainly getting out of bed and sitting up, tearing, burning, stabbing sensation, and walking around at a very reduced speed. On Co-codamol and Diclofenac. At quite strong doses.

Day 3 Still very difficult to get out of bed, slightly easier to stand up from a chair, still walking around slowly. Stopped the Diclofenac due to very harsh stomach burning and switched to Ibuprofen. Stopped the Co-codamol (30mg codeine) and switched to Paracetamol. Codeine was bunging me up something chronic. Took Dulcolax which was a huge relief! Noticed some very minor bruising on the crown jewels!

Day 4 (today) Can get out of bed without the burning/tearing on sitting up, no problems getting out of a chair, also walking around pretty quickly, so may go for a walk outside today. Only had x1 ibuprf. and x1 paracet. today. So painkillers cut right back. The very minor bruising I had on the crown jewels is already fading. I need to find some looser pants as the only thing now bothering me is pressure on the bandage over the surgery stitches.

I'll keep updates if anyone is interested?

I think what delayed me getting the surgery even further was starting Pilates exercises, particularly pilates bridge and stomach vacuums, after doing these the hernia wouldn't show for days on end, i'll be using these as part of my recovery and building up to the pilates bridge on an exercise ball again once i'm ready...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHPPpoLj9uc
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Ugly As F*ck
    Interesting thread, I had never run across this one before. I have a femoral henia (rare in men as I understand it). I've had it close to a decade and it's a constant bother not only with riding, but also the gym and work. I've been on the fence so long about having it repaired. But if I do any kind of aggressive riding (especially on technical terrain) it comes out very easily and can be quite painful.

There is a place where I live that does the mesh operation. I didn't realize there were so many cases of complications with it. Making me think twice.

Any other femoral hernias out there?

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Day 8 - took the dressing off today, scar is hardly noticable already which is great. Todays the first day i've felt pretty ok, and only had 1 painkiller.

I've been walking 2 miles a day last couple of days and hoping now i'm out of the woods into the clearing

mtbr member
    I went under the knife last July for a single inguinal hernia repair. I could barely walk the first week and then it slowly got better. I still have numbness and occasional nerve below the incision, but the current situation is way better than the previous one where I couldnt stand or walk for more than 20 minutes. I did my first bike ride in October, then put the bikes away for the winter. Came back out two weeks ago, no problems (except weak legs). Glad I did the surgery, would do it again (doc tells me I'll probably have to on other side in a few years)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So would you recommend Martin Kurzer? Cause I'm going to be going there soon and I guess I can choose what surgeon I want right???

Haven't been able to get on the bike in ages :'(

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by capoz77 View Post
    Day 8 - took the dressing off today, scar is hardly noticable already which is great. Todays the first day i've felt pretty ok, and only had 1 painkiller.

I've been walking 2 miles a day last couple of days and hoping now i'm out of the woods into the clearing
    So would you recommend Martin Kurzer? Cause I'm going to be going there soon and I guess I can choose what surgeon I want right???

Haven't been able to get on the bike in ages :'(

2006 Yeti AS-X
    It's been 2 1/2 years since my surgery and I can tell you that hernia surgery recovery is not as bad as going through Achilles Tendonitis. I have struggled with that the past 2 1/2 months and that has been a bigger suckfest than the surgery recovery was ever for me. At least with the surgery recovery, I pretty much knew when the biking could resume AT you don't know 100% for sure.

I am on the tail end - almost recovered from mine - I can do daily activities with very little discomort - the doc says I can mountain bike but am stuck riding easy trails (no excessive climbing and no technical stuff) and a trip to Fruita in 7 days from now - so my trail options will not be as wide as I would want - No Ribbon, Horsethief, or Steve's...that sucks but most of 18 Road I should be good for except Zippity and the upper part of Chutes and Ladders.

I am praying for an 11th hour healing from God on this one....Of all the rides in Fruita I love -the Ribbon is one of my favorites.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    It's been 2 1/2 years since my surgery and I can tell you that hernia surgery recovery is not as bad as going through Achilles Tendonitis. I have struggled with that the past 2 1/2 months and that has been a bigger suckfest than the surgery recovery was ever for me. At least with the surgery recovery, I pretty much knew when the biking could resume AT you don't know 100% for sure.

I am on the tail end - almost recovered from mine - I can do daily activities with very little discomort - the doc says I can mountain bike but am stuck riding easy trails (no excessive climbing and no technical stuff) and a trip to Fruita in 7 days from now - so my trail options will not be as wide as I would want - No Ribbon, Horsethief, or Steve's...that sucks but most of 18 Road I should be good for except Zippity and the upper part of Chutes and Ladders.

I am praying for an 11th hour healing from God on this one....Of all the rides in Fruita I love -the Ribbon is one of my favorites.
    Ahh man hope you get better dude.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast