Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

get it done

I had mine done 2/3/12 , so far no complications , a bit painful for a week , after two weeks doctor gave the go ahead back to normal activities , back playing ice hockey this week , feels good , i went over three years debating the surgery , 53 years old and i had the cut no laproscope, do the research on the doctor get one that's done many. good luck

mtbr member
    Went over this and went the lap way over 10 years ago. Never looked back although I amy feel little pain on season changes.

Hmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty View Post
    Went over this and went the lap way over 10 years ago. Never looked back although I amy feel little pain on season changes.
    Same here except I had traditional mesh surgery 10 years ago.
    The occasional ache is far better than the hernia and it's complications.
    If you don't get it fixed, you eventually have complications so sever that you'll need to have gang green intestine removed.
    Then what will your recovery and health be like.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I had a laproscopic mesh repair done about 18 months ago. No pain meds needed and walked out of the hospital but pretty sore for several days. Walking right away, swimming a couple of weeks later, mtb and weights after 4 weeks. Could feel the repair with minimal pain for about 9 months and can't feel a thing now. Seems to have worked just fine. Something tells me the other side is about to give.... better go schedule an appointment!

Chris

mtbr member
    Had it done open last november, wanted lapro but after three doctors told me for mine it would be best to open it up I settled for it. Big scar, recovery for about 2 weeks sucked big time. Probably a good 1.5-2 months before I felt like doing anything heavy (might have been more mental than anything)
    Back doing deads and squats like it never happened now.

Have to remember more people ***** online than praise things. For every one bad result you read about there is probably 100,000+ that went perfect. I'm so glad I had it fixed, I never want to go through the surgery again!! but if the other side ever pops I'm do it again.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    cjcrawford, I've got the same thing going on I think - had the mesh repair done last May but started lifting at the gym around January and noticed a weird feeling when curling too much weight and not breathing correctly, hasn't felt right since, just dragging my feet because I still remember the first week hehe. Am planning on going in this week to have it looked at and get the other side scheduled.

As far as my first mesh surgery, it went well and the recovery was fine. My surgeon was adamant about having it fixed and said that he had recently repaired one for a guy who's scrotum was the size of a football because his intestines had moved into there....OH MAN!

Like everyone else is saying, get it done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmal View Post
    I guarantee that the repair will be better than a strangulated or incarcerated hernia.
    This is the bottom line. Despite you being careful and not riding when you see it protruding, it's still there and could pop during a ride and get complicated miles from anywhere.

I had mine repaired in 1991. The Flight Surgeon wanted to do it on the ship (he said it's that routine), but I waited until I got home from cruise. I had no pain and probably would have put it off except the FS said he'd ground me if I didn't get it done within a month of getting home, so I scheduled it right away.

The repair I had is called a "Modified Bassini" repair. No mesh. If I remember right, it's all stitching together and the doc said they even take a stitch or somehow attach the repair to the pelvic bone to give it added strength. No recurrence so far.

Side effects? I hobbled around like an old man for a week or so, but then started back to work (no flying yet). In a couple of weeks, I was hiking the Cascades, though I was pretty weak and didn't go very far. Flying again in 30 days, but putting on the torso harness for the ejection seat was a bit of a task.

For a long time, there was some pain if pressure was directly applied to a certain spot, but that's gone now. And I guess they nicked a skin nerve or something, because I have a patch of skin about the size of my hand that has no touch sense where they made the incision. Pressure and temperature yes, but no touch. Very weird.

But, almost no scar and a repair that seems permanent so far.

Oh, and I originally agreed to go for the spinal instead of general anesthesia. I chickened the morning of the surgery and asked to be knocked out. They gave me the spinal and a mild general and I woke up from the general during the surgery - but remember, I had the spinal going, so no big deal. When I woke up, the doc asked it wanted to watch and when I said yes, he had a nurse hold a mirror up over the incision. I was still groggy from the general, so I really don't recall seeing them work, other than the open wound. Guess if I had gone for the spinal only, I'd have been able to watch the whole thing!

Get it done... and soon. If you see it protruding at all, it's at risk for very bad things happening.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    hey mtdrew - i went to my original surgeon a month ago to have him check out my other side. As I said, things didn't feel quite right and I wanted to nip it in the bud, so to speak. He couldn't find anything and just said to go about my usual activities until something manifested - if it ever does. We did talk a second about the load down there shifting to the unsupported side and maybe feeling a little more over there - just a theory. He also mentioned that a second surgery probably could not be laproscopic since there would likely be some adhesion form the first surgery but would still employ the same mesh etc.. FYI

Chris

Flow like water
    I had an emergency appendectomy during my hernia repair procedure. Apparently the appendix had moved where it should not have been. Could have been a very big problem if I had waited longer to get the surgery done.

My surgery was years ago. I think they were still using chloroform and leeches back then.

B.Ike
    I almost died when I was coming out of surgery. I couldn't take a breath and I tried so hard I filled my lungs with blood. They induced a coma and I was intubated for 24 hrs. That hernia kept me off my bike for 5 yrs. All told I recoverd pretty fast and got back into riding more so than ever. Good luck.
    PS: a pulmanary edema is rare and shouldn't stop you from fixing yours.

Snap Crackle Pop
    I had this on the left side and lived with it for about 2.5 yrs. I didn't want to have it repaired because I was running my own business at the time and couldn't take the time off. My intenstines would pop through and I would be in great pain, I would lay on the ground, raise my hips and kinda bounce a little till I felt everything fall back in, then just lay there for like 20 minutes till the stars went away. The final straw was I got out of the car one day (after a drive to Cabela's 2.5 hrs away) and I couldn't walk. I made an appointment to get it checked out, made arrangements at work (failry new job at this point) and 3 weeks later it was done. Lap/mesh and it's been 2 years as of this month and I am sooooo glad I finally got it fixed. I have random minor pains here and there but was told up front that as scar tissue develops, this could happen. Trust me, it's nothing like the pain I was experiencing with the actual hernia. Funny thing is, the hernia came along the time I was thinking about getting into MTBing. Last year I was going to buy a bike and a recurring problem with both wrists popped up. This year, I finally decided it was happening no matter what.... another decision that I am totally happy with. Get it fixed!!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Having my inguinal surgery tomorrow morning, open, tension-free mesh, I just want to get it done and over with and get back on the bike whenever I get over it. The doc projects 4 weeks but I am giving it 8 weeks just to be safe...the last thing I want to do is pop the repair and start the whole deal over again.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had a double hernia repair. Felt little in 1 day, nothing after 1 week. Some do have a reaction to the mesh but not me. Was riding in just a few days. Was 48 when I had the repair, 10 years later it's just a memory.
    agmtb

Nueva Chica
    Jan 2004
    I've had FIVE of these bastards repaired, four with mesh and one without. By far, the mesh repairs have been more comfortable and heal faster than the one without.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. H.D. Thoreau.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Almost 1 week following open tension-free mesh surgery and for the most part things are good but still having some discomfort when I bend over or put my shoes on.

The first 3 days were not very fun at all - even with the vicodin getting out of bed and back into bed felt like there was a dog biting me in the crotch and didn't feel like doing anything at all. Had to really force myself to get motivated to get out and walk several times each day.

Big tip: Drink plenty of water post surgery and take stool softeners 3 days prior to surgery and following surgery until you heal up. You will thank yourself when you don't have to strain to do number 2. because the anesthesia and the pain meds do cause constipation. water and stool softener will help you alot.

Anyways, 1 week down and 7 weeks to go before I get on the bike - doc says 4 weeks but I am playing it safe and letting my body have 8 weeks to really heal up before I start doing really exertive exercises - walking will be my exercise before then.

This will give me 3 months of getting back into shape before I hit Fruita/Moab again in September providing my finances allow me.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well, I was correct in my self diagnosis...going under the knife on the 10th of May. Originally scheduled the surgery for the 3rd, which would have been the same date as last year's repair lol. At least I know why things didn't feel right down there and that there will hopefully be a solution. My surgeon doesn't want me to lift anything over 20lbs for 8 weeks so it's not a bad idea to wait that long, Lawson.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdrew View Post
    Well, I was correct in my self diagnosis...going under the knife on the 10th of May. Originally scheduled the surgery for the 3rd, which would have been the same date as last year's repair lol. At least I know why things didn't feel right down there and that there will hopefully be a solution. My surgeon doesn't want me to lift anything over 20lbs for 8 weeks so it's not a bad idea to wait that long, Lawson.
    Did you have the mesh the first time? There are a handful of different hernia repair techniques out there..the one I had was an open, tension-free mesh repair which the surgeon said had a recurrence rate of around 2% in the lifetime which is pretty low.

My surgeon put me on a 10lb limit so basically nothing but desk duty until June for me which is going to be very hard as my work in IT has me crawling under desks and picking up big printers and so forth..I am the person that doesn't like to have others do my job for me and it is very humiliating to ask my coworker to move a printer LOL.

I pray your surgery goes well and without complications...the Xbox has been my buddy for the past week and I have avoided the garage so I wouldn't have to look at my bikes sitting out there calling to me LOL.

Ninja Master Powers
    Ha, I think I have you all beatů

Had a repair done when I was 13 ( I'm 53 now ). Back then there was no mesh as far as ai know.
    I remember thinking I was going to die for about a week.

Went on and played 4 more years of high school football 5 years of college (red shirt + 4 years) and 15 years flying jets for the Navy.

Never had another problem.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Had my mesh surgery today. Went as well as expected. My surgeon told my wife that there was a lot more going on there than I had thought so it'll be interesting to see how the recovery goes.

Day one has been great overall but as with last year's repair, day two is the worst as all of the anesthesia wears off.

I started the stool softener today and have been drinking water. I signed up for a GNC Gold Card and got a couple containers of the GNC Total Lean shakes so I don't have to eat a lot of solid food to avoid using the bathroom in that way for a few days. Plus, it's not like I'm going to be active during the first part of recovery.

Going to try and go back to work on the 21st if possible. Not sure when I'll get on the bike again.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    capoz77, did you ever have the hernia repair done?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I had inguinal hernia till last year. I was not able to do work outs or riding due to that. Then I went for hernia treatment in an Ontario based hospital and did a surgery on it. Now I was alright, but still I am feared about its return. Did anyone had such experience?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

2nd repair 6 weeks ago

Hi All - I (male, age 54 now) had my first small inguinal hernia repaired a little over two years ago with a laproscopic tensionless mesh repair. When I first noticed the small bulge there wasn't any pain but within a month I felt a little throbbing after standing for long periods of time. I continued to swim and road bike for that month before the surgery and, if anything, these activities relieved what little discomfort there was. I was sore and hobbling around but walked out of the hospital and was shuffling around the house that evening. I was constipated and bloated for a day or two but that passed (pun intended) and I was walking a few miles for the first two weeks, swimming after that, and cycling after 3-4 weeks.

Fast forward two years and during the winter I started to feel the same niggling feeling on the other side. My doctor couldn't find anything even though I knew all to well what it was and, lo and behold, about 6 months later there was enough of a bulge that my doctor scheduled the same procedure for the other side. That was 6 weeks ago. There was some question whether the procedure could be laproscopic given that it wasn't virgin territory anymore down there (he initially thought he would do an open repair) but I encouraged him to try and he was able to. The recovery was about the same the second time but with a lot less fear about anesthesia, mesh rejection, and other things as I'd already been through it once.

IMO, this is a muscle wall defect (who knows why) that cannot repair itself and can only get worse and larger. I would advise surgery as soon a possible. Always try and nip these things in the bud. I think my experience is pretty typical and hope it sheds some light on those facing the repair.

All the best,
    Chris

BTW, total price tag for this stock and trade procedure (as presented to my insurance company) = 29k!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I had a hernia repair done back in Jan. '96. The repair was done with the mesh. Hurt like heck the first week, second week started taking the dog for looong walks- Benny was one of those dogs that never needed to be on a leash, he would stay by your side all day. Must have walked 300 miles in the woods over the next few weeks. Six weeks later got the all clear from the doc to resume activity. No problems since, and I'm a carpenter, so lifting 75# sheets of plywood and sheetrock constantly put the repair to the test.

mtbr member
    I forgot I posted here last Feb.
    I see I also forgot which side I originally had 3 repairs on... it was the left, not the right.
    That side (last fixed in 98 or so) is still in fine shape.
    Recently my right side gave up.
    I continued to mtb, which actually felt good... sorta lent support to the site while I rode.
    Today I'm sitting in bed looking at the sunshine outside, 2 days post-op.
    I'm getting outta here this morning! Going for a hike in the woods... can't take sitting around anymore.

I went with the mesh and the full-open, stick-your-hands-in-my-pube surgery.
    No real pain... just that slightly annoying soreness.
    Been taking Dulcolax.... once pre-op, and once last night.
    Eating soft foods for a few days, drinking plenty of fluids... just to make things easy to expel
    Doc said wait 2 weeks before riding again ... based upon comfort.. and EASY riding at that
    Soon as I can, I'll make some trips up to the pool for lap swimming, keep on lifting my 5 lb weights (probably move up close to 10 which is my 6-week weight lifting limit), but it gets mentally tiring doing enough reps to feel like I did much, and that's only upper body.
    I have my 'bent set up on a trainer for my entry back to riding, and plenty of vid's to watch while I spin.

Glad I revisited this thread because it's encouraging to read other's experiences and how soon they were riding again. A friend of mine wants us to ride the Spring Thaw at Ashland so I want to be back on the bike soon as possible. I hate losing ground in regards to my physical condition... I'm 52 but still alive and kicking.

mtbr member
    I had a traditional mesh repair done in May of '09. I say, get it repaired. It's not safe to have a hernia. Find yourself a good Dr. who has done a lot of these repairs. I'd be glad to refer you to mine, if you're in So Cal. it wasn't a fun experience, but you'll get through it. and then you'll be able to do what you want, when you want. The following is some posts that I made, here at MTBR, back in April and May of '09:

Mine was a left inguinal hernia. You have a tube inside you on both sides, where cords and vessels run down to your nuts, that's where mine poped. The bulge, or my intestines getting pushed out, was just above and to the left of the base of my wiener. It looked like someone put something about the size of my thumb under the skin. I could suck it in and then push and it would pop out. Im really lean, so the bulge could be seem, but some people won't be able to see a small bulge because of their fat. The first thing I noticed was a pain in my left nut. It was enough pain all of a sudden, dull and aching, about 4 on the scale, to know something wasn't right. I felt around my nuts for a lump, but couldn't find one, I was thinking maybe I had something in common with Greg Lemond. Then I noticed a small lump in the area I described before. I pushed down on my abs and pop went the hernia. I could feel it and hear it pop. I took my finger and pushed it back in and went Mother F&%$#r! I knew what it was and I knew as active as I am, that it would have to be fixed. After it poped the pain went away in my nuts, and now I had the pain at the hernia area. It was a little more sharper then before, but it never got worse then 4 on the scale, but most of the time the pain was around 2 so it was totally managable. After the surgery, I would say the pain was around 7 for a few days. For me the Norko did nothing to ease the pain, It did make me barf though.

5/7/09

I had my surgery about 3 hours ago. Everything went good, Im on Norko, only a little swelling over the incision and the boys aren't swollen at all! I'll keep you posted.

5/8/09

Last night, about 8 pm I got sick to my stomach, I think it's the pain meds. I had been up a couple of times to go to the bathroom and a couple other short trips and everything was fine. Then my GF made me dinner, I sat up to eat and like a minute later I was making good use of the plastic bucket that she got me. And she's a good cook, so it wasn't the sight of the food. Today I have periods of feeling pretty crapy, nausea, chills, a little dizzy. I seem to feel really bad about when it's time to take the pain meds. But my GF saws there's no way I could have withdrawls this soon. Im increasing the time between meds from 4 to 6 hours, hoping that will help. The pain isn't to bad and Im really thirsty all the time. Our dog had an ACL repair in her back leg a couple days ago. She's a 2 year old 95 pound puppy, so keeping her calm is kinda hard. So we are just chillin and recovering together. I wanted to go for a little walk tonight, but I don't think I'll be able to, maybe tomorrow.

Oh, I almost forgot, after the surgery, for about 8 hours, my left thigh and my wiener, were completely numb. I was pretty worried about that. But now everything is feeling good. They gave me a local, along with knocking me out. When the knockout nurse gave me the shot in the IV line, she didn't tell me what it was. I asked her if that was it, and she said yes. About 10 seconds later, I said, "oh yea, that's it!" My GF said I got a glazed look over my face, she said that I kissed her and told her that I loved her, I don't remember that part, but I had already planned on telling her that I loved her a lot. So I was glad to hear that I told her. I remember moving myself off the gurney and onto the operating table. Then I woke up there was a nurse right there, I didn't have any sence of time passing, so I put my hand down there, I didn't feel anything, So I asked her if they did it and she said, yes that everything went good. Everyone was really nice there. They gave me a get well card and everyone involded signed it.

5/9/09

I went off the pain meds last night. They were just making me feel so crapy. On a scale from 1 to 10 I would say that my pain only went up about 1/2 a point. Not very much increase in pain, so that was well worth it for me. But, the bottom of my left foot hurts now, it feels like planter fasciitis, I have had that problem a couple times in the past.

I didn't realize, till I stopped taking the pain meds, how foggy they made me feel. Now the world is crystal clear, and I feel much better.

So it's just laying on the couch all day, with my dog and GF, but there is Indy qualifing, and the NASCAR race tonight, that will keep me entertained.

5/11/09

Today I went into the office at 10, I stayed till 3. It was pretty tough just to sit at a desk, work and make sure everyone else is doing their work like they should. I still feel like crap, it hurts, I get really warm and start to sweat, some chills and dizzyness. I was able to get caught up and get back home where I feel much better, so I feel it was worth the effort. I took two big dumps this morning, that was the first time since the morning of the surgery. I was getting kinda worried about that, I didn't want the pain of having to push a brick out. My weiner and nuts are totally bruised, and there is a big bruise making it's way around to my ass crack and half way down to my knee and it's still pretty swollen over the incision. I woke up with wood this morning, I thought that would be painful, but it wasn't. And now I know that everything works! Everyday gets a little better!

5/24/09

It's been a little while since I posted. Iv'e been feeling good and have been really busy. I had my surgery on the 7th. I last posted on Monday the 11th, the day I went back to work. On the 17th I went for a short ride and everything felt good. On the 18th I went for a motorcycle ride and I went to my follow up visit with the Dr. He said everything looks good. I had a pretty big mound over the incision area, he said it will go away, and each day it gets smaller. The scar looks pretty good, its about 3 inches long, and it's very straight and thin. But, about the last 4 days I have had a tender spot on my belly about four inches above the incision, about the size of the palm of my hand. I first felt it when I tried to sleep on my stomach. For some reason when I sleep that way, it really streches my abs out in that area. When I feel it with my fingers, it feels like there is a thin string, under the skin, going from the incision, up to the tender area. I don't know if it is a striation in the muscle. I can't imagine that it is something the Dr. put there. I would think that if he attached something to the patch from up there, there would have been bruising from going up under the skin, that far up. But, I didn't have any brusing up there. Maybe it is the upper edge of the patch. I am a little worried about it, but I plan on going back to the gym next Wednesday, It's time I got my azz back into shape.

6/11/09

I'm pretty much 100% now, but I do have some thrombosis from the surgery, I went and saw my surgeon about it and he said, that it happens. He said he has never seen it, but he said I am lean and musculer, so it is easy to see and feel. I have a little pain and tenderness from the incision up to my bellly button and I can feel string like structures under the skin, I can stretch my abs out on that side with my hand and you can see it, it's kinda wierd. He said the blood vessels that are cut start to clot up and they heal through an inflamation process, he says that is what I am feeling. I noticed it the first time on the 18th of last month when I tried to sleep on my stomach, it hurt and that area was really tight and it felt like I pulled some muscles apart, but doc says it's thrombosis. But the repair itself is really good and I can do anything I want with no problems.

Today:

Everything is good. I have had no complications and I never have any pain in that area. My scar is almost completely gone now. There were no stitches there, so they must have used some kind of glue to close the incision. I say get it done and move on.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast