mtbr member

Infecting others with passion.

It started innocently enough.

While spending some time with my wife's sister and her husband, they happily informed us they had bought a "cabin" in Asheville!

I congratulated them and told them that Asheville was one of the top mountain bike cities in the country. Neither of them were mountain bikers...I said it would be a shame to have a house in that fantastic area and not mountain bike. Mwahaha.

Then it starts.

First, my brother-in-law tells his Dad -- who used to ride a lot. They piece together an 1995 vintage MTB.

Bikes = N + 1
    Therefore 1 = 0 + 1.

He rides some flat trails near his home in South Caroline. The bike is too small and the cantilever brakes are worthless. He gets on Craigslist and finds a 2005 vintage HT for $300.

2 = 1 + 1

He's a good runner and with the biking he's doing he decides to sign up for a triathlon. But he's crawling on the road on his MTB. Back to Craiglist for a road bike.

3 = 2 + 1

He finally takes his new bike up to NC. WHEEEEE! What a blast! But full suspension looks like it would make this even more fun!

4 = 3 + 1

My work is done.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Haha, nice!

My brother came to visit me last week and I took him on some singletrack with my wife's bike. Not even finished with the trail he was already cursing me for the money he was inevitably going to spend on an MTB. He didn't even wait to go home and bought one here so he could ride his own bike. We rode until the last minute so we could have time to clean and dry his bike before boxing it up for airline travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeah once it hits you you in trouble $$$$. LOL