Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Upset I'm a MOUNTAIN biker, dammit.

I'm currently on crutches from an accident that happened a few months ago on my bike.
    This invokes the usual inquiries from people, wanting to know what happened. I explain I had an accident on my "bike". Alot of times I then get to hear from them they know someone else who had an accident on their motorcycle and what happened to them. I then explain explain, no, I have a mountain bike. Not a motorcycle. Then I get that look that says "Oh, you were just on a bicycle". Like, oh thats no big deal I thought you were on a real motorcycle.

I've been thinking about it lately and is p**ssing me off. You think MTB'g is easier than riding a dirt bike. Oh yeah, its real hard twisting back on the throttle and making it up that hill. P*ssy.

I think we oughta start MTB gangs and ride around to local bar where "bikers" hang out and start making names for ourselves. Make them respect us! Come on, you know we're in better shape than them. We can take them!!! As soon as these crutches are gone, I'm there!

It is a funny visual, 20 or 30 MTB'rs in biker shorts,bright jerserys, and camelbacks walking into a biker bar and kick'n butt.

I just had to vent, 3 weeks off of the bike (so far) is giving me too much time to think about things.

Tommy

Wizard of the Trail
    Man, that sucks that you are off the bike. I also hear you about the, "just a bicycle thing." People just don't realize what is involved in MTBing. I also can't stand all the quads and motorcycles that I see on some of my rides. Here you are climbing a nasty hill and they pass you off practically running you off the trail. You can't go to far around here without seeing them. Also, the noise is irritating to say the least.
    It woulkd be funny to thrash a bar with a bunch of MTBers!! Let me know when you heal up, well go kick some butt.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Now more evil for 2005!
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by liltommy
    I'm currently on crutches from an accident that happened a few months ago on my bike.
    This invokes the usual inquiries from people, wanting to know what happened. I explain I had an accident on my "bike". Alot of times I then get to hear from them they know someone else who had an accident on their motorcycle and what happened to them. I then explain explain, no, I have a mountain bike. Not a motorcycle. Then I get that look that says "Oh, you were just on a bicycle". Like, oh thats no big deal I thought you were on a real motorcycle.

I've been thinking about it lately and is p**ssing me off. You think MTB'g is easier than riding a dirt bike. Oh yeah, its real hard twisting back on the throttle and making it up that hill. P*ssy.

I think we oughta start MTB gangs and ride around to local bar where "bikers" hang out and start making names for ourselves. Make them respect us! Come on, you know we're in better shape than them. We can take them!!! As soon as these crutches are gone, I'm there!

It is a funny visual, 20 or 30 MTB'rs in biker shorts,bright jerserys, and camelbacks walking into a biker bar and kick'n butt.

I just had to vent, 3 weeks off of the bike (so far) is giving me too much time to think about things.

Tommy
    Maaaaan,

I pity the first pack of hikers you see when you get back in the saddle.
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    LMAO. Obvously you've never seriously ridden a dirtbike. Admittedly, riding a mountain bike is more strenuous, but I'd like to see you ride a dirt bike through a long, hard section of desert whoops and not say it was exhausting.

Currently in Exile

I understand

Tommy
    I have a similar problem when talking to non-cyclists. I mention how I went out riding my bike, and they almost invariably ask me what kind of bike I own. When I say "I have a Trek Fuel mountain bike," it is usually followed by an awkward silence. Most adults in this country equate a bicycle with a kids toy. So the idea of a 36 year old man spending his weekend riding trails on a "kids toy" seems odd to them.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Some people defiantly thank mountain biking, any kind of dirt biking, and stunt riding as a kids sport. I mountain bike of course but one day I was out in front of the house trying to teach myself how to bunny hop. The neighbor who I did not know that well ask me what I was doing and how old I was. I told him what I was doing and that when I am on my bike I am ten years old, but when I am off the bike I am 28.

I broke my foot and my ankle on my first ride. I receive some of the same responses from people. I was rased quite a bit about the accident, some because it was my first ride, but others because it happened on bicycle. Some were stunned when I told them that it was not motorized. I was kind of stunned when I had to tell them the bike was not motorized.

Honestly I kind of felt pretty stupid over the accident until I joined the local MTB club and talked to some of the people. I realized that accidents and injuries are part of this sport.

Liltommy

What did you break? I hope you don't mind me asking. I had to wear a cast for 8 weeks because the foot break was in my fifth metatarsal. Doctor actually had told me there was a possibility that I might have wear a cast for 6 months. Fortunately I only had to wear the cast for 8 weeks. Hopefully you have speedy recovery, I wouldn't worry about what non-cyclist say, just keep in mind what they are missing out on.

bang
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
    I have a similar problem when talking to non-cyclists. I mention how I went out riding my bike, and they almost invariably ask me what kind of bike I own. When I say "I have a Trek Fuel mountain bike," it is usually followed by an awkward silence. Most adults in this country equate a bicycle with a kids toy. So the idea of a 36 year old man spending his weekend riding trails on a "kids toy" seems odd to them.
    you mean you aren't a big kid, and your bike isn't a toy? some people just don't know how to have fun

mtbr member
    I'm an eye doc in a small town and most of my patients know I grew up (well, not that I'm grown up yet) riding and racing motorcycles off road so they often ask me if I'm still riding. I say, "Yeah, I ride my mountain bike most every day". Most of them still think I'm talking about my dirt bike..... which btw, is what mountain bikes should be called.... except that name was already taken. "No", I say, "it's a pedal bike that I ride on trails in the hills" Same blank stare. Very confusing.

You can certainly get hurt bad on either. They both are serious, high endurance, physically demanding, manly sports when I do them, so don't be calling me a puss.

PS: Get well soon. BTW I think you'll find just as many (or more) mountain bikers hanging out in bars than off-road motorcyclists (there seems to be quite a fixation with beer among both groups... although the dirt bikers tend to stay with the Bud Natural Light, "natch" and mtbers seem to like the one-off micro brew stuff). Now if you want to go kick some Harley Hell's Angels type dudes or quad rider's butts..... be my guest.

Custom User Title

I agree, it's not even close

Quote Originally Posted by JaredMackall
    LMAO. Obvously you've never seriously ridden a dirtbike. Admittedly, riding a mountain bike is more strenuous, but I'd like to see you ride a dirt bike through a long, hard section of desert whoops and not say it was exhausting.
    I am way more exhausted after a day of dirt biking than I am from mountain biking. It is way harder on your muscles and it's painful to walk the next day if I spend more than 4 hours on my dirt bike. I go for a 4 hour MTB ride and feel great afterwards!

Sorry to hear about your accident liltommy but you are just as clueless about motorcycles as the people you've encountered are about mountain biking.

Gravity Rides Everything
    people who think you need a motor to have fun are missing out on some good sh!t

Humpmaster general

I just went around my neighorhood kicking people in the nuts. I didnt say anything to them I just rode up to them, kicked them in the nuts got back back on my bike and left.

I am going to single handedly let everyone know that mountain bikers are bad@sses.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You forgot the crucial statement, after they give you that "oh, you're ONLY bicycling" you have to metion "Yeah, I fell off a two story tall nortshore bridge. You know anyone who's fallen two stories on a motorcycle? Didn't think so."

I remember last fall discovering that my anat/phys teacher was an avid biker. He came in to class one day and his forearms were all torn up... gravel rash. He said he took a spill yesterday on his bike and I asked him what he was riding and got the reply, "Well... I don't remember Shrewsbury being that steep." And about a week later it was vice versa, I forgot there was a 12 foot cliff on the other side of a switchback. Oops.

Pedalphile
    Tommy

Well, pedaling up a hill is harder than grabbin the gas and going up- BUT- handling a ~300+ lb bike vs. handling a 25 lb bike are two WAY different things!!! It is very taxing on the body to do woops and keep a dirtbike up through the woods!!! You have to muscle a dirtbike on the flats just as hard as you muscle up a technical climb on your mtn. bike at times.

I do agree that dirtbikes should not be permitted on biking trails. They tear stuff up and ruin the trails for us mtn. bikers. No-one is allowed on a dirtbike on ANY of the trails around DE. We get right on the phone with Rangers when we see dirtbikes.
    [SIZE=3]"A witty saying proves nothing."- Voltaire[/SIZE]

Eric

Just win baby!
    Hey man, it's all good! I don't have much experience on motorcycles, but I have done a bit of dirt biking. It is a lot more physical than you might think. As far as mtn. biking and the uninformed questions you get when injured, it just goes with the territory.

I separated my shoulder in two consecutive years (2000, 2001) and all I heard was... "you got hurt that bad just from riding a bike?" Then I felt obligated to explain what mtn. biking is, how physically demanding it is, how dangerous it can be, etc... You have to remember that most people don't have a clue what mtn. biking is, or entails.

Maybe you can get someone else involved in mtn. biking when they ask the inevitable question.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by dpdsurf
    I am way more exhausted after a day of dirt biking than I am from mountain biking. It is way harder on your muscles and it's painful to walk the next day if I spend more than 4 hours on my dirt bike. I go for a 4 hour MTB ride and feel great afterwards!

Sorry to hear about your accident liltommy but you are just as clueless about motorcycles as the people you've encountered are about mountain biking.
    I think he was saying that tongue-in-cheek, you guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

... and if we just ... Just play'n on the dirt bikers.

Hey people, don't take this thread seriously.

Don't take the p*ssy remark seriously. Just play'n. I used to ride dirt and street motorcycles years ago. No racing or anything, just recreational.

The longer I'm off the bike the worse my attitude gets and the more people are gonna be on my sh!t list. Today its motorcyclist, tomorrows it's gonna be SS's, Roadies, Clydes, and people who wear lycra.

As a matter of fact, if your riding while I'm not. I HATE YOU!!
    Have a nice day, dammit.

The injury isn't broken bones. Tore some ligaments in the knee, the ACL being the main one , and had the repair done. I'll be off of the dirt for a few months but could be RR in a few weeks hopefully.

Custom User Title
    Hey people, don't take this thread seriously.

Don't take the p*ssy remark seriously. Just play'n. I used to ride dirt and street motorcycles years ago. No racing or anything, just recreational.

The longer I'm off the bike the worse my attitude gets and the more people are gonna be on my sh!t list. Today its motorcyclist, tomorrows it's gonna be SS's, Roadies, Clydes, and people who wear lycra.

As a matter of fact, if your riding while I'm not. I HATE YOU!!
    Have a nice day, dammit.

The injury isn't broken bones. Tore some ligaments in the knee, the ACL being the main one , and had the repair done. I'll be off of the dirt for a few months but could be RR in a few weeks hopefully.
    No worries. I feel a fraction of your pain & frustration as I have been sick for 2 weeks with no riding. Here's to getting back on the trails soon!

Sharp rocks hurt...
    I know exactly how you feel. When some one looks at my scratches and ask how I got them I say, "I crashed when I was out mountain biking". The exact thing they said was "Wow, you must really suck at riding a bike LOL" I just about wanted to punch the guy...

Let's ride SuperModerator
    I feel for you that you are off your bike. That sucks.

Dirt biking is very tough, much tougher for me than mtb. No contest here. Yes you can do casual trail riding on the dirt bike and that is easier.
    If you ride track, or fast trail with bumps/whoops/sand you'll get pummelled like you would not believe.
    When I ride the track at Metcalf park, for 5 laps, 60 secs laps, i have to stop or else i puke. I hit my high/max HR(200beats) just after 1 lap, and it is sustained until i stop the moto. It makes grunting up Hurl Hill or the 3 *****es a cake walk. Let's not even talk about how much you sweat.
    When you see the pictures of a dirtbiker in a turn, with one leg out...they're not really sitting. They're doing a 1 legged squat at great than 1G(double your weight), and if there is a bump or bumps in the turn, then that 1G goes up.
    When you accelerate a dirtbike, you are doing a pullup at upto 1/2G, while clenching the bike with your thighs for all your worth. When braking, your doing a pushup at ~1G, throw in a bump or 2 and again, the 1G goes way up.
    Other than that, you just stand there and twist the throttle.
    Before I started riding dirt, i had no idea how hard it was. I rode street for 20yrs. After the first day of dirt, i had not been that sore ever.

Best wishes with the recovery, and get back out there.

nimble biker

form MTB gang and act tough !!

Tommy

You should form a large group of MTB and wear leather on top of jerseys and go in to bars acting tough. some should bring a few cigars buffing just too look tough !! park your bike in front of the bar. show those Hells Angels how we do things.

Ya, right.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaredMackall
    I hit the Glamis dunes frequently during the season and I can safely say that riding a dirtbike is way easier physically than riding a mountain bike. I can ride in the dunes all day and not be whiped. Yes certain sections like whoops are hard, but I am far from whiped out at the end of the day. Now a 25 mile mtb ride with some serious elevation gain is another story--and thats only a few hours, not all day like riding a dirtbike. Just my .02
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Custom User Title

Apples to oranges

Quote Originally Posted by DSDuke
    I hit the Glamis dunes frequently during the season and I can safely say that riding a dirtbike is way easier physically than riding a mountain bike. I can ride in the dunes all day and not be whiped. Yes certain sections like whoops are hard, but I am far from whiped out at the end of the day. Now a 25 mile mtb ride with some serious elevation gain is another story--and thats only a few hours, not all day like riding a dirtbike. Just my .02
    Dude, the dunes are not even close to singletrack trails in the mountains with one turn after another, whoops, ruts, stumps, etc. You're correct, the dunes are wide open and easier riding.

Though I would agree that mile for mile MTB is harder. But not hour for hour.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    You should form a large group of MTB and wear leather on top of jerseys and go in to bars acting tough. some should bring a few cigars buffing just too look tough !! park your bike in front of the bar. show those Hells Angels how we do things.
    Nah, you need a big floppy belly to be a real tough biker, and then you spend all your time polishing your bike instead of riding it. Training means standing in front of the mirror practicing your weekend warrior sneer, and you've got to stop shaving on Thursday to get that authentic biker stubble look for Saturday. And then there's the grotty tatts. Worse thing is you have to spend all your money on a cr*p Hardly-Driveable instead of a nice lean MTB or three.

So don't be mean to the poor bikers, they have a sad life.
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey man, I'm with you crutches!!!! Did we quit when the Nazi's bombed Pearl Harbor? I am going to ride down the street right now and pummel the first son-of-a-b#@# I see (I think the Old lady may be out walking her dog). I ride a hard tail because a FS is like a soft-tail Harley. Yeah that's right, that's how I roll, HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't stop me I'm on a roll.

Forget it, I'll stop myself

Ride Instigator

The world will never take us seriously...

I just make a joke out of it because that's the way the general public sees a bicycle injury. I tell them that I got a boo boo when I fell off my bike .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast