Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

I'm down 180lbs. thanks to cycling

3/half years ago I weighed in at 458lbs. At the behest of my doc I started a diet-exercise program that included mtb to a large degree. I lost a BUNCH of weight but then had a bad mtb accident and was off the bike for awhile, and thus the lbs. began to creep back on. On thanksgiving last year I weighed 380lbs. and decided to take up roadbiking as well. I'm addicted to both forms of cycling now!!! Yesterday I stepped on the scales at 278 lbs., over 100 lost since t-day and 180 overall. At 6'1" i've gone from a size 60" waist to a now borderline 42". I have a goal of 220lbs. still big by mosts standards but I'll be happy. When I've reached 200lbs. overall lost I'll post before, during and after pics. Just wanted to say thanks to all involved with this site, I've learned a ton and gained passion and inspiration within its threads. .
    JimS.

Alright, let's ride!
    That is awesome!!! Congratulations and keep up the good work.

beater
    Holy cow! Congrats, and thanks for the inspiration. I'm currently 250 and looking to work down to my 'dating weight' of ~190. I love hearing stories like this.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Alright, let's ride!
    Yeah, it's great reading success stories. On 12/1/04 I weighed in at 220. After countless hours at the gym, many miles on the bike and watching what I eat I am currently down to 176 pounds. It's amazing how much better it makes you feel. Oh, I've also gone from 25% body fat down to 17% body fat. I have gotten to the point that I'm not really all that concerned with my weight, now I'm just paying attention to my body fat percentage. I'm hoping to get it down to around 12% or so.

Mythical Creature
    Nice work Big Kahuna! Welcome to the obsessed biking / weight loss club. You ought to post your amazing results and hard work on the thread I started a while back about the very same issue. You're an inspiration as the mere 100+ pounds I've dropped seem like "chump change" in comparison!

100 Pounds lost; cycling passion & weight loss

Keep up the good work.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member

Wow!

Thats amazing! Gosh I only lost 50 pounds since I started riding 12 years ago. Francois......GIVE THIS GUY A FREE MTBR JERSEY!
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    That's awsome that you lost so much weight. I salute you for your positive attitude toward losing weight. Keep up the hard work and ride on.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Wow. Just incredible. Congrats!

Medium?

That sucks.

Not you, of course, I mean me. I just want to lose 15 lbs or so, but I'm weak. There are so many tasty beers, and so many yummy taquerias. I've been riding to the point of near-divorce for almost 20 years, and I haven't gained or lost 10 lbs either way the whole time. I'm in way better shape, of course, but I know one singlespeeder who'd rather haul a 180 pound body up a grunt-of-a-climb than a 195-on-a-good-day body.

Awesome job. Do you ride with Pacman much? That guy's turning into quite a riding animal. I see that he finally broke his full suspension rig and is riding SS all the time now.

You should come up here and ride with me and Big Larry. You two could share he-man 250+ bike rider stories.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

If you were 180

God help anyone tyring to keep up with you . You and pacman, and of course hollywood are way out of my league. Maybe I should try and hook up with them now, perhaps they would only have to wait 10 minutes at the top instead of 20. I would like to come up in the future, maybe by then I'll actually be down to 250lbs., and I did build a SS, just havn't been out on dirt much this year so far.
    Jim S.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Not you, of course, I mean me. I just want to lose 15 lbs or so, but I'm weak. There are so many tasty beers, and so many yummy taquerias. I've been riding to the point of near-divorce for almost 20 years, and I haven't gained or lost 10 lbs either way the whole time. I'm in way better shape, of course, but I know one singlespeeder who'd rather haul a 180 pound body up a grunt-of-a-climb than a 195-on-a-good-day body.

Awesome job. Do you ride with Pacman much? That guy's turning into quite a riding animal. I see that he finally broke his full suspension rig and is riding SS all the time now.

You should come up here and ride with me and Big Larry. You two could share he-man 250+ bike rider stories.

mtbr member
    Wow that's great, inspires me to do sometin bout meself.

34N 118W

Good job! good company

and how many centuries have you done now??? Much more than I. I'm sure you'd drop me now over the course of 100 mi.

Great job on the weight loss. Unfortunately (?) I represent the segment of people who are 2 lbs lighter the day after T-giving. WTF! Get that SS out and you'll be a burner like us thinny guys.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by bigkahunadad
    God help anyone tyring to keep up with you . You and pacman, and of course hollywood are way out of my league. Maybe I should try and hook up with them now, perhaps they would only have to wait 10 minutes at the top instead of 20. I would like to come up in the future, maybe by then I'll actually be down to 250lbs., and I did build a SS, just havn't been out on dirt much this year so far.
    Jim S.

life is a barrel o'fun
    At first, I thought this said, "I'm down TO 180lbs....." and then I re-read it and was like !

Truly, truly awe-inspiring. I need to get my father to read this!
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

ronbo613
    That's great. Congrats to all whose health is better off because of riding. Once you grow to love riding, you'll want to get in better shape because you can ride more.
    Beats some stinky old gym.

There's no app for this.

Well I'd get a new bike

or 3, you've earned it! congrats.

On my personal quest to lose weight, I've ridden like he// for 12 years or so now and haven't lost nor gained a dang thing. Like Fast Eddy, too many tasty beers and the "occasional" ice cream sneak into my diet.

But I am in way (weigh?) better shape. Jim

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    or 3, you've earned it! congrats.

On my personal quest to lose weight, I've ridden like he// for 12 years or so now and haven't lost nor gained a dang thing. Like Fast Eddy, too many tasty beers and the "occasional" ice cream sneak into my diet.

But I am in way (weigh?) better shape. Jim
    oh dont worry about him......I am sure he has some big plans.

Hey Kahunabro, did you get that new road bike you mentioned to me?

Preemptive Revenger

Way to go BigKahunaDad!

That is truly a great story!

Welcome to a truly remarkable group: I have found the cycling community to be the most health-oriented and supportive (not to mention the most obsessive-compulsive) group of folks that I've ever been associated with. My 50 pounds lost over the last 2 years (240->190) could not have happened without this group of folks (thanks everybody!) And it seems like there are lots of us out there...in fact my story is one of the least profound ones around.

Now, speaking of obsessive-compulsive, excuse me while I go hop on my trainer!
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

soon

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    oh dont worry about him......I am sure he has some big plans.

Hey Kahunabro, did you get that new road bike you mentioned to me?

yea, I set the 100lbs. to lose for my goal since I started riding road in nov. The specialized tarmac has been at the shop until I got to that goal. If I get done with my ride (mulholland hwy.) early enough tomorrow I'll pick it up in the afternoon, if not then next week. I'm totally stoked! . I need to get it dialed in before the crusin the conejo century thats a week from tomorrow. I need to get the Ventana out as well, its been callin my name lately .
    Jim S.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    yea, I set the 100lbs. to lose for my goal since I started riding road in nov. The specialized tarmac has been at the shop until I got to that goal. If I get done with my ride (mulholland hwy.) early enough tomorrow I'll pick it up in the afternoon, if not then next week. I'm totally stoked! . I need to get it dialed in before the crusin the conejo century thats a week from tomorrow. I need to get the Ventana out as well, its been callin my name lately .
    Jim S.
    good for you.....how exciting. are you picking it up at Bill's Bike Shop I assume?

Let me know if you want to hit the trails....even Sycamore is completely rideable now. I just finished a big project at work today and will FINALLY be getting back into shape. It has been at most, 1 ride a week for a long time now.

cheers

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    ... I've been riding to the point of near-divorce for almost 20 years, and I haven't gained or lost 10 lbs either way the whole time. ...

Great Work bigkahunadad!!! What a story! Look forward to the pics on the change.

I'm actually quite jealous. Like Fast Eddy, I very slowly lose weight and I seem to stick around 265 or so no matter how much I ride (also almost to the point of divorce). I found diets don't work (just bounce back higher afterwards) and I'm not doing diets any more. I'm instead trying to change my normal diet to something reasonable. I'm now doing weight watchers while riding regularly as usual and am finally getting under 250. Good news is I'm consistently losing a couple pounds a week.

Now that you're close to me in size, we should ride together if you get to NorCal. I'm still looking to find someone possibly slower than me. I just did a 45 mile epic in two days of Henry Coe (see here) and am very proud of the feat, even if I only did 1 MPH up super steep hills.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

MTB B'dos
    Congrats BK, you lost one of me that's some awsome will power and effort. Cycling is definitely the way to go to loose weight - I'm trying to gain some actually, 6'3" 170lbs, would like to be about 185-190lbs. I learnt how much calories you can burn MTBing a month or so ago when my Mum was visiting the island and I was riding my new bike heavy (as transport and for fun) and not eating to well, lost 12lbs in about 2 weeks w/out trying. Now I'm trying to figure how to eat 5,000 calories a day when I'm riding.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Wolf nipple chips

Truly great to hear.

I always love hearing about people losing weight using actual exercise - especially when it involves a bike! you're life is no doubt changed, and that's sweet. once i graduated college, i managed to suddenly drop from 230 to about 200, due to the fact that i was able to ride LOTS more. Keep it up!

Glad to Be Alive
    hella cool
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Very cool, y'know i just broke a leg last summer and them chocolate shakes got me up to 249 lbs at last wiegh in! i ride at least twice a week and i work in construction so i'm not too concerned, i'm sure i'll drop around 10 to 15 when i hit the warmer summer months. But definately if i don't get down to about 235 sometime soon i'm gonna have to do somethin about the diet.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

hari kari

Good job!

3/half years ago I weighed in at 458lbs. At the behest of my doc I started a diet-exercise program that included mtb to a large degree. I lost a BUNCH of weight but then had a bad mtb accident and was off the bike for awhile, and thus the lbs. began to creep back on. On thanksgiving last year I weighed 380lbs. and decided to take up roadbiking as well. I'm addicted to both forms of cycling now!!! Yesterday I stepped on the scales at 278 lbs., over 100 lost since t-day and 180 overall. At 6'1" i've gone from a size 60" waist to a now borderline 42". I have a goal of 220lbs. still big by mosts standards but I'll be happy. When I've reached 200lbs. overall lost I'll post before, during and after pics. Just wanted to say thanks to all involved with this site, I've learned a ton and gained passion and inspiration within its threads. .
    JimS.
    I hope it is not lost on you that you've done what no less than a million seriously overweight and obese people say can't be done. And what ten million more of their loved ones believe won't be done. Jim, you're an inspiration. You're rare. And you, my good man, rock.

I look forward to seeing the before and after pictures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast