mtbr member

I think there may be something to this Fatbike thing!

Spent a couple of hours on the Borealis Yampa today (with 3.8" tires) and had a blast. It clocked in at about 24ish pounds and felt more like a trail bike than the other fatties I've ridden - admittedly, limited time on them, though.

The fact that this one can run the 3.8, 4.8 and 29x3 makes this a really versatile bike!

(And no, I don't work for Borealis, I just enjoyed this bike)

I think there may be something to this Fatbike thing!-croppa131306.jpg

I think there may be something to this Fatbike thing!-smpa131309.jpg
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Looks nice...very light, too...must make a big difference.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    And a video to go along with the pictures.

Fatbikes at Ute - YouTube
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Bikes!
    That thing looks like a blast, I particularly love how in the video it seems like people are just stopping to get out the way with a "WTF?" expression on their faces!

I'd love a fat bike, I'd probably only get to ride it 4 or 5 times a year but it would be a heck of a toy!

mtbr member
    I love my heavy as anything fattie. I bought it thinking that if it helped me bike through winter, it was worth the price of admission. But I ride it everywhere and all year around, even doing a 150 mile single day gravel grinder this summer. Actually, snow riding is my least favorite use of the bike!
    Since I am all of 5'3" @115lbs & female, I would love it if it were lighter though! I have my eye on one of the lighter CF fatties but I can't justify the cost(even the "price" I tell my hubby it is, which is like half of retail.....shhhhhh!)
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    That thing looks like a blast, I particularly love how in the video it seems like people are just stopping to get out the way with a "WTF?" expression on their faces!

I'd love a fat bike, I'd probably only get to ride it 4 or 5 times a year but it would be a heck of a toy!
    My neighbor, who you see in the video riding the Moonlander, has gone exclusively fat and rides his everywhere, virtually every day. Admittedly, he's not doing much trail riding these days, but after riding this bike, I can see riding it A LOT on the trails, more than I do with my current HT! This bike is light enough and (though I hate this word) flickable enough to make a very fun bike out in the woods. The tire options make it extremely versatile for any conditions, too.

If I have one by next spring, I might ride it on the Kokopelli Trail, even.

Geez, I'm gushing. I guess I'll be a Yampa owner pretty soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    I love my heavy as anything fattie. I bought it thinking that if it helped me bike through winter, it was worth the price of admission. But I ride it everywhere and all year around, even doing a 150 mile single day gravel grinder this summer. Actually, snow riding is my least favorite use of the bike!
    Since I am all of 5'3" @115lbs & female, I would love it if it were lighter though! I have my eye on one of the lighter CF fatties but I can't justify the cost(even the "price" I tell my hubby it is, which is like half of retail.....shhhhhh!)
    At $3600 for a complete bike, these really aren't all that expensive in the big scheme of things.

Not that that's chump change, of course.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    My neighbor, who you see in the video riding the Moonlander, has gone exclusively fat and rides his everywhere, virtually every day. Admittedly, he's not doing much trail riding these days, but after riding this bike, I can see riding it A LOT on the trails, more than I do with my current HT! This bike is light enough and (though I hate this word) flickable enough to make a very fun bike out in the woods. The tire options make it extremely versatile for any conditions, too.

If I have one by next spring, I might ride it on the Kokopelli Trail, even.

Geez, I'm gushing. I guess I'll be a Yampa owner pretty soon!

At $3600 for a complete bike, these really aren't all that expensive in the big scheme of things.

Not that that's chump change, of course.
    That really not a bad price, I'll go take a look at their website, thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The biggest two misconceptions about fatbikes is that 1. they are heavy while in motion and 2. they are sub-par bikes to ride on dry trails.

As nbt said, I too bought mine for winter use and find myself using it a ton in the other three seasons. I have a fancy schmancy FS 29er that I use for many things, but I ride my Pugsley almost as much. It bestows trials-like skills to my ungraceful self on super techy boulder crawls.

I think mine weighs about 36 lbs with the Lefty? I'm not sure though, mainly because I don't care. The only time I notice the weight is when I need to portage it.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    On Saturday, I rode a Krampus for about an hour before getting on the Yampa. I noticed a big difference right away in the way it felt, handled and pedaled. Same for the Mukluk I rode last winter.

I'm not a weight weenie by any means, but whether it was the weight, geometry or the combination, this bike is far different than the other fatbikes I've ridden and noticeably more fun right off the bat.

But, I'm a big advocate of people riding bikes to make their own decision about whether it suits their riding style and body geometry, so, as the saying goes, YMMV!
    Last edited by skiahh; 10-15-2013 at 05:30 PM.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Now there is another type of mountain bike for sale.
    There are 26er hardtails, 26er full suspension bikes, Dual Sport 700c, cyclocross, drop bar mountain bikes, 27" hardtails, 27" full suspension bikes, 29er hardtails, 29er full suspension bikes, fat bikes, not to mention XC, Trail, All Mountain, Enduro, AM hardtail, and downhill to the list.
    In my opinion there are too many types of mtbs.
    Fat Bikes should stay, however.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

Yappy little dog!
    I love my 35+ pound pugs for the few times a year I use it, but lighter would sure make it moar fun!