EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I rolled the dice....

...and at first, it seemed that I had lost. It was a Friday and aside from one appointment, I had the whole day free to ride. I waited until the evening in anticipation of better light. I figured that I could dodge the rain and that the trails would have absorbed the brief shower that fell in the afternoon.

Um, wrong on that one. My first clue should have been that the pavement was still a bit wet on the way to the trailhead. The first few hundred yards of the trail I chose are surfaced with crusher fines and that section was fine. The dirt trail above the irrigation ditch, not so much.

P6124479scaled.jpg

I coasted back to the car in search of a suitable scraping tool. Then I went back to the ditch and dunked the bike enough to get most of the gunk off. I was still eager for a ride, so I headed up the road to another trailhead.

That "trail" is more of a dirt road, and it luckily was quite rideable. Better a dirt road than no ride at all.

My persistence was duly rewarded.

P6124480scaled.jpg

I like the hints of yellow in a carpet of blue.

P6124484scaled.jpg

Lying down on the wet ground to get the shot was no big deal, as I was already filthy.

P6124486scaled.jpg

"Lance-leaved chiming bells" A charming name for a charming flower.

P6124489scaled.jpg

I came to some singletrack that was actually in great condition.

P6124491scaled.jpg

It ended up being an absolutely lovely ride, especially since I was sure that I was getting skunked. Phew!

P6124492scaled.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I like 'em either blond and fruity or dark and chocolaty

Extra Crispy
    How is it that your chain and front rings are so completely clogged, but the rear sprocket is clean and looking new?

Nice bike from what I can see. Nice camera too.

Front Range XC
    Marshall Mesa? Nothing like confirming to hikers that bikers do more trail damage then they do.

Mcdelroy

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdelroy
    Marshall Mesa?
    Nope.

Nothing like confirming to hikers that bikers do more trail damage then they do.

Mcdelroy
    Would you care to define "trail damage"?

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bacon11
    How is it that your chain and front rings are so completely clogged, but the rear sprocket is clean and looking new?
    Well, I rode about 50 yards (if that) in that one gear before the chain would no longer run through the rear der. I turned around and coasted all the way back to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by bacon11
    Nice bike from what I can see. Nice camera too.
    Thank you. I am quite fond of both of them.

Front Range XC
    Good to hear you turned around. Its been a bad summer for rain making it a chore to gauge if one should ride. By trail damage I mean creating ruts in mud which are nothing but ammunition for the anti-biker folks.

Mcdelroy

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Good to hear you turned around. Its been a bad summer for rain making it a chore to gauge if one should ride. By trail damage I mean creating ruts in mud which are nothing but ammunition for the anti-biker folks.

Mcdelroy
    EJP is well aware of all these issues. Just relax and enjoy her pics.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    She probably understands the rock beneath our feet more than most

[SIZE="1"]provided I am recalling your profession correctly.[/SIZE]

Nice pics E. The forum needs more pics, less whatever the heck has been going on lately.

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    She probably understands the rock beneath our feet more than most

[SIZE="1"]provided I am recalling your profession correctly.[/SIZE]

Nice pics E. The forum needs more pics, less whatever the heck has been going on lately.
    Currently, let's call it human geography, but I did take grad level soils and geochemistry at one point...oh, and there were a couple of engineering degrees in there just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Thanks, H and J. Good to know my homies got my back.

Let's definitely keep the pictures coming. I have another set that should be ready shortly.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Olympus E510 eh?

I'm a fan of Olympus as well, just got into MTBing and I'm trying to figure out which camera I want to bring with me on the trails...

I have an E-1, which has magnesium body and weathersealing. I've actually had it submerged on a few occassions without any harm. It can take the abuse, but its BIG.

I also have the E-420, which I bought so I could carry around a good camera without it being TOO damned big. Coupled with the 25mm pancake, I can fit it in my pocket. I'm worried about it being crushed in a crash though.

Thinking maybe the E420, wrapped heavily in an extra shirt or towel and in my pack will probably be fine. Just whip it out when I want to shoot a picture. I don't think I'll be using my zooms or the fisheye though.

Like you(guessing), I think the 25mm pancake is the most sensible answer to keep size down - on either camera.

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn
    Olympus E510 eh?

I'm a fan of Olympus as well, just got into MTBing and I'm trying to figure out which camera I want to bring with me on the trails...

I have an E-1, which has magnesium body and weathersealing. I've actually had it submerged on a few occassions without any harm. It can take the abuse, but its BIG.

I also have the E-420, which I bought so I could carry around a good camera without it being TOO damned big. Coupled with the 25mm pancake, I can fit it in my pocket. I'm worried about it being crushed in a crash though.

Thinking maybe the E420, wrapped heavily in an extra shirt or towel and in my pack will probably be fine. Just whip it out when I want to shoot a picture. I don't think I'll be using my zooms or the fisheye though.

Like you(guessing), I think the 25mm pancake is the most sensible answer to keep size down - on either camera.
    Yes, I am really enjoying the 510. One of my friends is an Olympus guy and he got me turned on to it. Last summer he had a 420 set up with the pancake lens and I was quite intrigued. I got the lens for Christmas and it's my standard setup for mt biking now. It's a surprisingly versatile lens. I'm not into crashing, so I just throw it into the hydration pack. It's not as quick on the draw as some sort of chest-mounted rig, but it works for now.

The 420 is sweet! Nice and light. I would not want to drag an E-1 around too much. Though if you really want some gear envy, check out the new micro 4/3 camera from Olympus.....that would be a really fun toy to have.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EJP
    Currently, let's call it human geography, but I did take grad level soils and geochemistry at one point...oh, and there were a couple of engineering degrees in there just for fun.
    Engineering. Yeah, that sounds fun.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I'm not into crashing either, but as a new biker, I'm worried about my lack of skills getting me into a crash whether I have any say in it or not

The micro 4/3rds stuff is pretty amazing. If I hadn't already invested several grand in my 4/3rds lenses already, I'd probably look into starting a new stable.

Really enjoyed your photos!

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    Engineering. Yeah, that sounds fun.
    Undergrad engineering actually was really fun. Master's degree...well....better than working. I didn't terribly enjoy my one and only engineering job. Geog, on the other hand, is totally sweet.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    What are you doing in Human Geography? Planning?

I'm an Environmental Geography Major, Land Use Ecology Minor, and I've always liked the idea of pursuing a part-time engineering Post-Baccalaureate, but I'm not finished with my undergrad yet, so that's awhiles off.

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    What are you doing in Human Geography? Planning?

I'm an Environmental Geography Major, Land Use Ecology Minor, and I've always liked the idea of pursuing a part-time engineering Post-Baccalaureate, but I'm not finished with my undergrad yet, so that's awhiles off.
    Heh. I'm an academic. I am quite happy, but I wouldn't suggest that anyone else aspire to it. Enjoy your undergrad, though. And don't forget, "Geography is everywhere".