mtbr member

I need help tying something in...

Im doing a project, in which i can choose ANYTHING related to chemistry or physics and give a presentation on it. I was thinking somehow incoorperating suspension geometry into physics. Also, Id get to give a presentation on what I love most. Also, alot of people i know have a very skewed percetion of what mountain biking is; that we go and buy toy's R Us bikes, and ride paved paths, this would serve as a chance to prove those critics wrong as well. Any Ideas/Thoughts w/e would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks alot

pedalphile

What about bob?

Quote Originally Posted by edray
    Im doing a project, in which i can choose ANYTHING related to chemistry or physics and give a presentation on it. I was thinking somehow incoorperating suspension geometry into physics. Also, Id get to give a presentation on what I love most. Also, alot of people i know have a very skewed percetion of what mountain biking is; that we go and buy toy's R Us bikes, and ride paved paths, this would serve as a chance to prove those critics wrong as well. Any Ideas/Thoughts w/e would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks alot
    How 'bout a discussion of an age-old question in FS designs: How to prevent bob. You could talk about various designs and technologies (4-bar, Horst, single pivot, inertia valves) and describe the physics involved in each, and some pros and cons. Problems like brake jack, pedal feedback, power loss, loss of power transfer, etc.

I always found that a good approach in doing presentations (at least in high school) was to go over the teacher's head. Nobody wants to look stupid, so they end up giving you an A because they don't want to admit they have no idea what you're talking about. I once did a presentation on Extropianism. What is Extropianism, you ask? No idea. Nobody asked any questions afterwards. I got an A.
    now the world is gone i'm just o n e

mtbr member
    Maybe limit it to the front of the bike. You could talk about the compressive forces needed to overcome friction (stiction) inducing the fork to compress. You could discuss how oil viscosity affects the speed of compression. Then you could talk about how the resulting changes in front end height affect steering.

Ohhhh, Better yet. Discuss how a suspension fork reduces forces of impact on the head-tube. You could probably find data to determine how much force (how big a drop per rider weight) is needed to shear the head-tube off or crack a downtube etc. Then figure out how big a fork you'd need to safely ride the drop.

OR. Go the chemistry route and discuss the endorphin rush that result from the drop described above.

Man, there's tons of great topics to be had there. Use your imagination.

I railed it like Kong
    [QUOTE=dir-T]Ohhhh, Better yet. Discuss how a suspension fork reduces forces of impact on the head-tube. You could probably find data to determine how much force (how big a drop per rider weight) is needed to shear the head-tube off or crack a downtube etc. Then figure out how big a fork you'd need to safely ride the drop.QUOTE]

Do that one! You could find some dumb clyde willing to do big drops on a sid fork and video it. You'd have a great visual aid.

Seriously, that would be a cool topic.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

mtbr member
    You oughtta see some of the physics discussions that have taken place on the 29er board. Under which conditions is a 29er better than a 26er, or vice versa? There is plenty of meat here; angles of attack, inertial mass, center of gravity differences due to bottom bracket drop, fork rake, trail, contact patch, yada yada yada...

mtbr member
    i weigh 200 plus, you supply the bikes and the drops ill crack the head tubes on video for you lol

contains quinine
    How about: Effects of rotating mass, i.e. heavier tires, wheels, etc (could translate over to cars too, was an story at edmunds.com about that). You could explain the differences between 26 and 29 inch bikes in scientific terms.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    You could talk about rolling resistance associated with tire size, air pressure, tread design, and the affects on speed in different conditions and traction (gription, as I like to call it). The air pressure to rolling resistance could also be related to cars and gas mileage, and how much fuel could be saved by increasing air pressure and narrowing tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    helmet cam footage is the best! It'll rock their worlds...