Thread: I Need Help

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I Need Help

ok here is the deal i wanna get 3.1 tubeless wheels rihgt now but i was just wonderin if u can run them as non tubeless cause right now i dont have tubeless tires so in the mean time can i run them as non tubeless....

its down to the x819 the xc 717 or the 3.1 what do u think

www.derbyrims.com

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by epic_rider
    ok here is the deal i wanna get 3.1 tubeless wheels rihgt now but i was just wonderin if u can run them as non tubeless cause right now i dont have tubeless tires so in the mean time can i run them as non tubeless....

its down to the x819 the xc 717 or the 3.1 what do u think
    After about a year with 3.1's I still use tubes. I've found it too difficult to air up regular tires with Stans no-tubes using a hand pump. I'll get a bike shop to show me someday, I'd like to try tubeless.

Flats have decreased to very rare with tubes in 3.1's, like one every 4 months, riding the same tires and conditions as before that would average a couple flats every 2 months. I think it's because of the smooth surface inside the 3.1's. Most of my flats before were not snakebite (pinch-flat), just worn out ultra-light or undersized tubes from rubbing the rim tape and spoke depressions.

The 3.1's are really strong. And pretty easy to mount tires, but need extra pressure to seat the bead, wetting the bead before airing up helps the bead seat easier.

- ray

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    After about a year with 3.1's I still use tubes. I've found it too difficult to air up regular tires with Stans no-tubes using a hand pump. I'll get a bike shop to show me someday, I'd like to try tubeless.

The 3.1's are really strong. And pretty easy to mount tires, but need extra pressure to seat the bead, wetting the bead before airing up helps the bead seat easier.

- ray
    Hey X3.1 and Stans combo with standard tires has been fool proof for 2000 hard miles.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14