Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    unrooted

I love where I live!!!

I have lived in 7 states total, and have visited a lot more than that and never thought I would end up in California. Now that I live here it is becoming more and more obvious that for mountain biking (and rock climbing) California is the best state to live in.

Last summer I made a trip to Denver to see my sister-in-law, we stopped in Fruita, Eagle, Breckenridge, Lyon and where ever Lair o the bare trail is. I have to say that I had my expectations for Colorado WAY to high, I did have a blast in Eagle and Fruita, but the front range trails are boring as F-ck, not to mention straight and rocky. I'm sure you can become a better rider (when you aren't dodging strava-tarded boulder-ites), but for just amazing trails with few people on them California really blows Colorado out of the water.

Just for comparison's sake look at the trail database on MTBR: Colorado 338 trails, California 788 trails! Just think about how diverse the trails in California are as well! We have southern California coastal, dessert and mountains, Northern California coastal and alpine, and then there's the stuff in Tahoe and the East side. This really is an amazing place to be a rider, especially since I never see anyone else on these amazing trails!
    Last edited by unrooted; 06-10-2014 at 12:01 PM.

mtbr member
    So what you're saying is that Colorado has more trails per square mile than California?
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Paste eater
    You're right. Way less people in California. Every one should move there... Oh ya, and pass the doobie bro.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I think your point was missed by a few, but yes California does have some great riding! I have not ridden other States, just stating that CA is goooooood.

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    I have lived in 7 states total, and have visited a lot more than that and never thought I would end up in California. Now that I live here it is becoming more and more obvious that for mountain biking (and rock climbing) California is the best state to live in.

Last summer I made a trip to Denver to see my sister-in-law, we stopped in Fruita, Eagle, Breckenridge, Lyon and where ever Lair o the bare trail is. I have to say that I had my expectations for Colorado WAY to high, I did have a blast in Eagle and Fruita, but the front range trails are boring as F-ck, not to mention straight and rocky. I'm sure you can become a better rider (when you aren't dodging strava-tarded boulder-ites), but for just amazing trails with few people on them California really blows Colorado out of the water.

Just for comparison's sake look at the trail database on MTBR: Colorado 338 trails, California 788 trails! Just think about how diverse the trails in California are as well! We have southern California coastal, dessert and mountains, Northern California coastal and alpine, and then there's the stuff in Tahoe and the East side. This really is an amazing place to be a rider, especially since I never see anyone else on these amazing trails!
    Preach it! California is awesome, everyone should move there ASAP!

Now back to my awesome local Front Range Colorado trails...

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian View Post
    So what you're saying is that Colorado has more trails per square mile than California?
    Especially when you consider almost half of Colorado is actually more like Nebraska!
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    California's great, if you like expensive places to live...

Seriously though, I'd live there in a heartbeat if my situation permitted. Spent a couple of years in Northern Cal and absolutely loved it. Perfect mix of beach, good weather, skiing in the winter.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

I love where I live!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dfrink View Post
    I think your point was missed by a few,
    No it's wasn't.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

Rogue Exterminator
    Not trying to get in a d!ck waiving contest of what place is better but I used to live in California in the Bay Area...and I loved it (well, all but the cost of living).

I now live in Western NC in the mountains and the biking here is incredible. Rated in the top 10 places in the US by Single Tracks and the only place on the East Coast on that list. Do I love it here more....well, no but I don't love it any less either. Well, I do love the cost of living a lot better.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

unrooted
    Yeah, the cost of living sucks!!! But I have the Eastern Sierras FOR my backyard!

Just bought a 975 square foot house built in 1946 for $280,000!!!!!!!!!

In Utah I could have bought a huge POS for that much!

Rogue Exterminator
    Yeah, depending on exact location, that could be bought for up to $200,000 less and I have Pisgah National Forest, DuPont State Forest and a few other well known places in my back yard. Not as big but a couple hundred miles of trails all within 30 minutes of me is enough to keep me entertained.

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Yeah, depending on exact location, that could be bought for up to $200,000 less and I have Pisgah National Forest, DuPont State Forest and a few other well known places in my back yard. Not as big but a couple hundred miles of trails all within 30 minutes of me is enough to keep me entertained.
    That does sound pretty rad, but I'm also do a lot of rock climbing, and this place has options and over 300 days of sunshine. . .

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Just bought a 975 square foot house built in 1946 for $280,000!!!!!!!!!
    I'm glad you are apparently happy about being on the wrong side of the above fleecing but all the riding in the world wouldn't make up for prices like that.
    Also, I'm not sure why you need to knock other states riding to justify spending way too much on a closet/house. At any rate, I'm glade you are happy where you are.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vfrrider View Post
    Seriously though, I'd live there in a heartbeat if my situation permitted. Spent a couple of years in Northern Cal and absolutely loved it. Perfect mix of beach, good weather, skiing in the winter.
    I'm from New Zealand and people always seem to rave about this place, but from what I saw of it NorCal is a wonderful place (we loved the whole coast area, from SF all the way up to Newport, OR). Gonna bring my bike next time I visit for sure!

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    I'm from New Zealand and people always seem to rave about this place, but from what I saw of it NorCal is a wonderful place (we loved the whole coast area, from SF all the way up to Newport, OR). Gonna bring my bike next time I visit for sure!
    There area only a few places in the world that I really want to live, Bishop CA is one, New Zealand is another. Spain is number 1.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vfrrider View Post
    California's great, if you like expensive places to live...
    Yup, way too expensive for me so CA is a no go to live.

Rogue Exterminator
    That does sound pretty rad, but I'm also do a lot of rock climbing, and this place has options and over 300 days of sunshine. . .
    Yup, 300 days of sunshine doesn't happen here but rock climbing and bouldering does.

However biking in a temperate rain forest has some good points too.

As far as price of home, it doesn't stop there.
    You have groceries, gas, taxes, etc.
    I certainly understand why some are willing to spend the money. It just isn't for me.
    Instead I will take the season changes. Ours are generally mild anyways and we still have year round biking.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    See my location.
    Nuff' said
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Having lived in So-Cal my entire life, I will agree California is amazing in so many ways. The Mountain Biking here is so diverse and there is more Mountains here than most can imagine. Even in LA, we are surrounded by great riding. I ride the several mountain ranges within 1/2 to 1 hr from my home, and be in the Sierra in 3 hrs. Having said that, I believe there are several other States who have amazing riding too, and a lot of it. Most who have never been to California and actually drive through the myriad of mountain ranges may think they are actually in Colorado or even Alaska if they did not know better. I used to Surf a lot growing up, but you really can Surf, drive an hour and be in the snow, leave there and be in Palm Springs in another hour. Then there's the Sequoias, Yosemite, Redwoods, Big Sur, Santa Barbara, San Diego, LA entertainment, and on and on. I get tired of the traffic, poorly run State Government, high taxes and the other stuff like home prices, but here I am 50 years later, still loving California. The weather is second to none (overall).

I love where I live!!!-img_1158%5B2%5D.jpg

V-Shaped Rut
    I personally lived in South Lake Tahoe as my adopted hometown. I've moved away for work and family considerations and there is a giant hole in my heart, no internet ********. It's magical there.

I've lived in every state on the west coast and I have to agree that CA is the best. Even LA is nice despite all the ******** taxes, overcrowding, insane COL and so on. But then again that's why so many people live there.

beater

I love where I live!!!

California has some amazing landscapes.

It's not for me, though. Everyone's balance is different. It would be great if everyone could love where they live, because I know the feeling, and it's rad.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

addicted to chunk
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    See my location.
    Nuff' said
    shhh don't tell everyone!
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    There area only a few places in the world that I really want to live, Bishop CA is one, New Zealand is another.
    Living here certainly has it's good points, but there are a lot of downsides being isolated at the bottom of the world! I think that there's no one "best" place to live though, depends on what stage of life you're at and what you want out of it. I'd love to come live in the US for a while, but the hassle of immigration, changing jobs, selling house here etc etc just doesn't seem worth it. Probably better just to come visit when money allows.

mtbr member
    I clicked on this thread expecting the post to follow the positiveness of the title. Only to read that where I live sucks because the trails are "boring, straight, and rocky". Way to go dude. I'm glad you're happy in CA. I love where I live too.
    Take three hours of single track through a pine forest and call me in the morning.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Grew up in California, then left and came back for 10 years and left again. There is no doubt whatsoever that California has great trails (and roads) to ride, great surf, mountains to climb and ski/board, lakes, deserts. It's got it all. But, in terms of great mountain biking, WHERE YOU LIVE in California makes all the difference in the world in terms of how much of a hassle it is to actually get to those trails. For instance, if you live in SoCal in say Redondo Beach as opposed to Laguna Beach, the experience you'll have in terms of finding a lot of close mountain biking and traffic to get there is very different. California is a HUGE state and the distances and traffic times to get to the good stuff can vary tremendously. If you want to live somewhere where you can just get on your mountain bike in your garage and get to a lot of great single track quickly, you gotta pick your location very carefully. If you're willing to drive a lot and deal with ridiculous levels of traffic, that opens up a lot more possibilities. Same thing with Skiing ... Mammoth and Tahoe are great spots, but can be a real slog to get to depending on where you live. The problem most (but not all) people in California have is that most of the good paying jobs are in the more concentrated areas of SoCal and the Bay Area and you then have the problem of real estate prices and traffic. If you can crack the code and figure out a way to make good money and score an affordable place to live near the stellar outdoor playgrounds, then you've got it all. Not an easy puzzle to solve, however.
    Are you really sure about that?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast