Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
    Co Springs

Smile Definitely a good title by the OP !

If nothing else, we should all be so reminded of the circumstances we chose. It's probably never a 100% Win across the board on every cylinder but if the top few things that are most important to oneself or their family are in proper order, sing your praises and know they are yours.

I like it here (a secret place even the FED witness protection program is unaware of) so I count myself and family as fortunate. Most of what this state and much of the immediate surrounding area offers has admittedly been taken for granted by me but I'm fixing that.

I live 6 houses from a nice park and section of trail system that offers a few different loops, one of 3 miles and connects much of the city for bicycling. Even the traffic system here affords much to be done by bike off paths and trails so one can cover much of town by bike where commuting to work or riding to the many trail-heads, bike areas/ open space etc... is fairly common or a practical option.
    My work commute is 22 min by bicycle, 12 by car, and my wife has a 2 mile commute.

I forget what I paid for my house or how many square feet it is but I can store a whole bunch of bikes in it if I choose so it must be big enough. The more I ride, the bigger my house is.
    I hope that rule abides with most and especially so for the House Poor.

The latest headlines;

WITSEC Still in search of Epic Mtn biking community

Name:  witness-protection-2.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  39.8 KB
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Pressure View Post
    What do the LGBT's drive then?
    Haha, I was unaware of this stereotype until my wife called our car the Lesbaru.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by falconpunch79 View Post
    Haha, I was unaware of this stereotype until my wife called our car the Lesbaru.
    I've seen more of them drive Jeep Cherokee's than Subaru's.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by falconpunch79 View Post
    The only pattern I see at least locally is aggressive driving, fast moving borderline belligerent Honda Pilot's piloted almost exclusively by a female.
    I get the f outta way no matter what I'm driving.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just moved back to the PNW after 12 years in the SoCal IE.

To say we had a love/hate relationship with SoCal is an understatement.

We had to leave for a variety of reasons, but frankly the place just felt too much like a powderkeg waiting to go off and it's the last place we wanted to be if the **** ever really hits the fan.

They've got some real problems to sort out, particularly with the illegal population and an over-reaching state government.

However, from a people and geography perspective, California really is a special place and one of a kind. For moto I had 5 tracks, desert and mountain singletrack, all within half an hour of my house. For dual sport and mountain biking I could ride out of my driveway and be on singletrack within minutes. My favorite daydream is to imagine living in SoCal back in the 70s and 80s but with modern motorcycles and mountain bikes. Some of the best conversations I'd have would be with old timer desert racers who'd talk about all the races and riding they'd do in places that are now some of the most populated spots in the country.

There's a reason why most of the motorcycle and cycling industry is still in California.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Lived in Eugene, OR for a year and half and the weather sucked there.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    That would suck cause most of europe is so sh!tty with their high tech jobs, decent health care and great mountain biking. . .
    Don't forget the biking infrastructure, public transportation, the beer and the food
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I wouldn't mind living in Switzerland.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Wow, this is the most disappointing thread on MTBR... I was expecting more given the thread title. If you wanted to dick wave, you could have just jumped on one of the other 500 threads just like this one. This type of BS douche-bragging is more suitable for your bros on Facebook.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyc View Post
    Just moved back to the PNW after 12 years in the SoCal IE.

To say we had a love/hate relationship with SoCal is an understatement.

We had to leave for a variety of reasons, but frankly the place just felt too much like a powderkeg waiting to go off and it's the last place we wanted to be if the **** ever really hits the fan.
    We've got new neighbors on both sides as of July 1, both are from San Diego. I hope they are happy here. One is a military move and the other for sure was "wanting out."

When I told him the other side were new and from SD, his comment was "oh,,, they got the hell out too eh ..?"
    Again, I hope the moves they made were good one's but that's in the eye of the beholder. There are plenty of places I'd never move to but I'd no sooner go on a rant listing them than to list the POS cars I've owned or those I consider ugly.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    California has a huge impact on the US.
    No doubt... still seeing lots of those license plates here.

When I moved to CO in '93, lots of griping about CA people moving here. I think it was just the distaste for population growth and more traffic etc... nothing personal.
    I never had any complaints but I too was a transplant.

People have to go where the jobs are or take them, where they wish to retire or will be happy. In some cases it's the climate. It's really nice when it all converges to be tops in all the important criteria.

Co Springs
    Yet the economy is bigger than any other state ...and houses just went up a 100k in the last year.
    That is outstanding ! hehe

Someone posted their 900 + sq ft house there sold for or cost them $196 more per sq ft than a 2400 sq ft home next door to me last month.

If I did my math right, my garage is 400 sq ft. That seems comparatively wrong but I'll measure it or google the 2 car garage size.

unrooted
    Just bought a 980 square foot house on .12 acres for $280k.
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865 View Post
    Lived in Eugene, OR for a year and half and the weather sucked there.
    Dat true!

There's a reason I live two hours to the east, in Bend. Dry, sunshine, and blue skies!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Dat true!

There's a reason I live two hours to the east, in Bend. Dry, sunshine, and blue skies!

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it some day, maybe even move there. Conditions have to be right for me though with medical care within an hour and easy access to pharmacy drugs.

beater
    I don't plan on moving anytime soon:

Heavy Pedal Tour ? Helena, Montana ? BIKE Magazine
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Just bought a 980 square foot house on .12 acres for $280k.
    That's like the size of a 3 car garage with a dog run. Where do you put all your bikes and stuff?

mtbr member
    funny, I have lived in Santa Barabara, CA, Tucson AZ, Morgantown WV, and Phoenix AZ... and I actually think Utah is the bomb... the most beautiful state and the best trails...

go figure ??

oh and btw I hate California...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I love where I live!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    funny, I have lived in Santa Barabara, CA, Tucson AZ, Morgantown WV, and Phoenix AZ... and I actually think Utah is the bomb... the most beautiful state and the best trails...

go figure ??

oh and btw I hate California...
    It sucks here, don't move back and tell your friends how terrible it is too. Mountains are worse than Utah, even though they're taller. The ocean is lamer than the oceans in AZ or WV. Houses are smaller too for more money. The mild weather gets old too as well as the high paying tech jobs. You've got to be an idiot native to live here.

mtbr member

Re: I love where I live!!!

It sucks here, don't move back and tell your friends how terrible it is too. Mountains are worse than Utah, even though they're taller. The ocean is lamer than the oceans in AZ or WV. Houses are smaller too for more money. The mild weather gets old too as well as the high paying tech jobs. You've got to be an idiot native to live here.
    Ugh....yes we get it, you're a California native and are therefore better than anyone who isn't. Your medal is in the mail

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I love where I live!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Ugh....yes we get it, you're a California native and are therefore better than anyone who isn't. Your medal is in the mail
    I wouldn't say that. It's a state just like any other - some good and some bad. But it's not as good as some natives say or as bad as the rest of the country thinks.

V-Shaped Rut
    as well as the high paying tech jobs.
    I'm not a cali hater, in fact I love the state. But those 'high paying' jobs are a little bit of an illusion. I'm a high level west coast techie (CCIE security) and regularly get offers in the bay area in the 160-180k range. But we're single income and at that salary my 4 person family would rent a cookie cutter 2 bedroom condo in the areas where I'd work (mountain view, walnut creek, palo alto, etc...) or I could move WAY out (like livermore) and train commute for freakin' ever.

Yes, I just said that 180k/yr gets you into a rental condo. When I moved out of Tahoe the bay area was an obvious consideration, but we discarded it due to the ultra high cost of living. We'd either have to compromise on living situation (kids in a small condo), financial flexibility/savings or my wife would have to go to work and also land a pretty well paying job which seemed unlikely.

This is the reality in many of the nicer parts of CA. That's why we moved to the Seattle area. Still lots of tech jobs, pay is slightly less (still mid 6 figs) on paper but I live in a house with a huge backyard, a lake at the end of the block and a forest at the other end of the block for less than a 2 bedroom condo rental cost in mountain view. People are nice and I'm 20 minutes from several great trail systems.

The weather and lack of sun does suck in the winter though, I'm not gonna lie.

mtbr member
    California has some good riding in both norcal and socal. It can be not too crowded on trails on weekdays and weekends are manageable depending on the trail, but I think it is because more people are roadies in California.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8