Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I love STRAVA

unrooted

I love STRAVA

I live in BFE & I rarely ride with other people so it's nice to be able to see how I'm progressing as well as how I stack up to other riders.

It's also cool to see how my friends in other parts of the country are doing.

Wrench
    Luddites be damned, it's a fantastic application.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm a big fan of the heat map feature too. Its also great for simply exploring new areas that you arent familiar with. Using the location of segments to find your way around works pretty well.

Ride More, Whine Less
    I've enjoyed strava this year. I ride many of the same routes on the road and off road. It is nice to see improvement over the year. I set a few best times early in the year and was quite proud. By the end of the year, I can easily top those times. I would have never known without strava.

livin' the dream......
    +1....I love it too!!

bust a move
    I like using the app, it has helped make me much stronger in just 6 months...considering a garmin, hrm and upgrade for the new year.

mtbr member
    BFE? Luddite here. What the heck is BFE?

Ride More, Whine Less

I love STRAVA

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    BFE? Luddite here. What the heck is BFE?
    Middle of nowhere. A phrase commonly said down south but rarely uttered in MN. Perhaps because most of the Midwest is located just outside BFE.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...E&defid=395234

mtbr member
    I also love Strava. It motivates me to ride harder and longer. I also use it to find local trail segments that I have not ridden. It is also good for tracking maintenance on my bike. I can enter when I rebuild my shocks or replace my tires to see how many miles I have ridden since. No KOMs here as I am 47 but it would be cool to have a K&QOM for couples who ride together. My wife has had some QOMs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    me too,I can easily top those times. I would have never known without strava.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Got it.

In Jersey we don't use the initials. We say what we mean. The expression is not that uncommon in these parts.

Formerly of Kent
    I mostly use Strava to find new places to ride. Yes, you can use it to "compete" as well, but it's interesting to see who does what, where.

I like the fact that I can drive home to see my parents, and, halfway there, look up segments near my current location, and it shows me where I can ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I've enjoyed strava this year. I ride many of the same routes on the road and off road. It is nice to see improvement over the year. I set a few best times early in the year and was quite proud. By the end of the year, I can easily top those times. I would have never known without strava.
    THIS... + 1

add me to the Strava Users list.

GDNewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

mtbr member
    Big Strava fan. I love going for a ride and trying to beat my personal bests. I destroyed a previous best on a long climb by 6 minutes last week, I felt pretty damn good. I don't get too caught up in chasing other people, it's just nice to see where I stack up even if its towards the bottom.
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    Wanting a Cross Bike.
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I love the dam thing too , it really makes me want to ride .
    I will be 61 next month and I can not believe my feet of climbing and my milage this year .
    It will sure point out what bike works better than another bike real quick .
    I have not figured out all that it will do tho , I will have to play with it more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    In Jersey we don't use the initials.
    Really? I've seen Jersey Shore and they use acronyms for nearly everything. You must be a Jersey wanna be... lol.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I don't like that the weekly cycle starts on Monday. Sunday is the first day of the week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    I don't like that the weekly cycle starts on Monday. Sunday is the first day of the week.
    Just curious, what planet are you from?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    +1 Strava from another fat, old, wheezer who will never get a KOM anywhere popular.

I just started riding again in July after 25yrs of not riding and its been great to see my progress with HR data etc going from zone 4 effort to do 11mph over 5miles, to a zone 4 effort spanning a 90 min ride carrying almost 14mph avg 13-20 miles of a route.

I get a kick out of setting my own personal records, and pay no attention to doing so, they just show me my progress over a similar perceived effort on the same courses over time. it's nice to see after a ride that felt relatively relaxed that I managed to set new milestones in progress.

I have friends on there who are in far better shape and have more time to cycle and it amuses me to see them carry a HR in the 130's, carrying 18mph avg over 30 miles when I rarely hit 18mph and when I do my HR is 160 and I *might* be able to do 30 if I had someone else to drive me home after I finished. I don't find that frustrating, I find it motivating to have a yard stick to map my progress. It shows me what can be accomplished and helps me judge my own stats vs what I may *think* I'm doing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Love the app for all the reasons stated above. Did anyone pay for it tho? Is it worth it?

the half breed devil
    add me to the list of those who love it. i like to keep track of the time and miles i'm putting in for the year.

mtbr member
    I love it also. Love keeping track of my mileage, and vertical climbing for the year. Also, seeing friends of mine who live in other parts of the world are doing.
    Most of all I compete against myself, getting a PR when I thought I had a bad day is awesome!

mtbr member
    I too like it for tracking my own progress, mileage, and altitude. I find myself annoyed, however, by the childish manner in which Strava delivers its commentaries: "Wow, you're some kind of a big thing, so and so is following you!", or "so and so just took your KOM, now go kick his a**, but be safe!" Yeah I know, not quite accurate, but you get the point :-)

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjekyll View Post
    Just curious, what planet are you from?
    Earth, where Sunday has been the first day of the weekly cycle forever. Look it up if you aren't familiar with it.

Ride More, Whine Less
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Earth, where Sunday has been the first day of the weekly cycle forever. Look it up if you aren't familiar with it.
    Ah, we have a fiesty one--and it wasn't a strava hater either. It's not that simple in the real world we live in. There is little agreement around the world with what is the start of the week. Even in the US, when you say the "weekend", do you only consider that Saturday? Or, do you lump Saturday and Sunday together into the "weekend"? You can readily buy calendars that have Monday as the first day of the week. These are commonly used in business.

The Days of the Week

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast