Thread: I love STRAVA

unrooted

I love STRAVA

I live in BFE & I rarely ride with other people so it's nice to be able to see how I'm progressing as well as how I stack up to other riders.

It's also cool to see how my friends in other parts of the country are doing.

Wrench
    Luddites be damned, it's a fantastic application.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm a big fan of the heat map feature too. Its also great for simply exploring new areas that you arent familiar with. Using the location of segments to find your way around works pretty well.

Ride More, Work Less
    I've enjoyed strava this year. I ride many of the same routes on the road and off road. It is nice to see improvement over the year. I set a few best times early in the year and was quite proud. By the end of the year, I can easily top those times. I would have never known without strava.

livin' the dream......
    +1....I love it too!!

bust a move
    I like using the app, it has helped make me much stronger in just 6 months...considering a garmin, hrm and upgrade for the new year.

mtbr member
    BFE? Luddite here. What the heck is BFE?

Ride More, Work Less

I love STRAVA

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    BFE? Luddite here. What the heck is BFE?
    Middle of nowhere. A phrase commonly said down south but rarely uttered in MN. Perhaps because most of the Midwest is located just outside BFE.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...E&defid=395234
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

mtbr member
    I also love Strava. It motivates me to ride harder and longer. I also use it to find local trail segments that I have not ridden. It is also good for tracking maintenance on my bike. I can enter when I rebuild my shocks or replace my tires to see how many miles I have ridden since. No KOMs here as I am 47 but it would be cool to have a K&QOM for couples who ride together. My wife has had some QOMs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    me too,I can easily top those times. I would have never known without strava.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Got it.

In Jersey we don't use the initials. We say what we mean. The expression is not that uncommon in these parts.

Formerly of Kent
    I mostly use Strava to find new places to ride. Yes, you can use it to "compete" as well, but it's interesting to see who does what, where.

I like the fact that I can drive home to see my parents, and, halfway there, look up segments near my current location, and it shows me where I can ride.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I've enjoyed strava this year. I ride many of the same routes on the road and off road. It is nice to see improvement over the year. I set a few best times early in the year and was quite proud. By the end of the year, I can easily top those times. I would have never known without strava.
    THIS... + 1

add me to the Strava Users list.

GDNewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

mtbr member
    Big Strava fan. I love going for a ride and trying to beat my personal bests. I destroyed a previous best on a long climb by 6 minutes last week, I felt pretty damn good. I don't get too caught up in chasing other people, it's just nice to see where I stack up even if its towards the bottom.
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2015 GT Grade 105

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I love the dam thing too , it really makes me want to ride .
    I will be 61 next month and I can not believe my feet of climbing and my milage this year .
    It will sure point out what bike works better than another bike real quick .
    I have not figured out all that it will do tho , I will have to play with it more.

mtbr member
    In Jersey we don't use the initials.
    Really? I've seen Jersey Shore and they use acronyms for nearly everything. You must be a Jersey wanna be... lol.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I don't like that the weekly cycle starts on Monday. Sunday is the first day of the week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    I don't like that the weekly cycle starts on Monday. Sunday is the first day of the week.
    Just curious, what planet are you from?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    +1 Strava from another fat, old, wheezer who will never get a KOM anywhere popular.

I just started riding again in July after 25yrs of not riding and its been great to see my progress with HR data etc going from zone 4 effort to do 11mph over 5miles, to a zone 4 effort spanning a 90 min ride carrying almost 14mph avg 13-20 miles of a route.

I get a kick out of setting my own personal records, and pay no attention to doing so, they just show me my progress over a similar perceived effort on the same courses over time. it's nice to see after a ride that felt relatively relaxed that I managed to set new milestones in progress.

I have friends on there who are in far better shape and have more time to cycle and it amuses me to see them carry a HR in the 130's, carrying 18mph avg over 30 miles when I rarely hit 18mph and when I do my HR is 160 and I *might* be able to do 30 if I had someone else to drive me home after I finished. I don't find that frustrating, I find it motivating to have a yard stick to map my progress. It shows me what can be accomplished and helps me judge my own stats vs what I may *think* I'm doing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Love the app for all the reasons stated above. Did anyone pay for it tho? Is it worth it?

the half breed devil
    add me to the list of those who love it. i like to keep track of the time and miles i'm putting in for the year.

mtbr member
    I love it also. Love keeping track of my mileage, and vertical climbing for the year. Also, seeing friends of mine who live in other parts of the world are doing.
    Most of all I compete against myself, getting a PR when I thought I had a bad day is awesome!

mtbr member
    I too like it for tracking my own progress, mileage, and altitude. I find myself annoyed, however, by the childish manner in which Strava delivers its commentaries: "Wow, you're some kind of a big thing, so and so is following you!", or "so and so just took your KOM, now go kick his a**, but be safe!" Yeah I know, not quite accurate, but you get the point :-)

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjekyll View Post
    Just curious, what planet are you from?
    Earth, where Sunday has been the first day of the weekly cycle forever. Look it up if you aren't familiar with it.

Ride More, Work Less
    Earth, where Sunday has been the first day of the weekly cycle forever. Look it up if you aren't familiar with it.
    Ah, we have a fiesty one--and it wasn't a strava hater either. It's not that simple in the real world we live in. There is little agreement around the world with what is the start of the week. Even in the US, when you say the "weekend", do you only consider that Saturday? Or, do you lump Saturday and Sunday together into the "weekend"? You can readily buy calendars that have Monday as the first day of the week. These are commonly used in business.

The Days of the Week

unrooted
    Does every thread have to go off on a tangent about an obscure reason to hate something?

mtbr member

Born and raised in Jersey

You have seen Jersey Shore? I wouldn't mention that in public. We have a condo very close to were that show was filmed for what that is worth (not much after Sandy). Most of the cast, creators, etc. are not from Jersey anyway. You believe everything you see on TV? That's like believing all the crap we post on the internet. It's a fantasy world and nothing more.

mtbr member
    Nothing brings a smile to my face after a ride than looking at my strava & seeing multiple personal records. The only thing that pisses me off about it is when I see my buddy who went out for a ride on a day that I couldn't, I wanted to be out there so bad!

Now broadcasting from CO
    Yeah but the training week runs Monday-Sunday. Sunday is typically a race day, then you start all over again.

Also love Strava. I don't much go for KOMs since in moved to near Boulder (to many damn pros), but it's cool to track how much riding I do.
    Brought to you by rocks.

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    The most interesting thing on this thread is the chorus of approval from non "regulars". Most of the regular outspoken folk who frequent this forum tend to bash Strava and don't have much nice to say to those who like it. To me this thread is is like an AA meeting.

"Hello, my name is Kerry and I'm a Stravaholic."

With that said, I like and dislike Strava. I like it for the reasons posted above. It's good to see progress and improvement over time. I dislike it as it shows what a sucky rider I am compared to the Boulder uber-atheletes around here. My goals are usually to be in the top 10% on downhill segments and not to be in the bottom 10% in the uphilll segments. I'm a slow pooch uphill but can certainly let it rip going down.

One thing that annoys me is that for the beginning of 2013 I held the KOM on the Marshall Mesa Singletrack segment for about 6 months. Then I lost it and have since dropped to 4th. The other night (I only attack this popular segments at night when no one is around) I decided to attack it again - only to find that some yahoo has flag the segment as dangerous so top times are no longer posted! WTF? If someone can't ride a beginner trail like Marshall Mesa and consider it dangerous then I think that speaks more for their lack of ability than anything else. Don't screw it up for the rest of us. Of course, it could be an annoyed walker flagging segments. Hmm, that could be a new tactic in a battle between hikers and bikers?

EDIT: Ignore my comment about regulars. I thought I was in the Front Range forum. They hate Strava there...

Yes, that's fonetic
    Maybe it was flagged as "dangerous" because it's a beginner trail and the danger is Stravatards endangering other beginners while trying for a KOM...

unrooted
    I love chasing (and sometimes getting) KOMs, but I never let that stop me from being rude to other riders or other trail users. I can understand why people in the front range hate Strava, but what came first the chicken or the douchebag that uses strava???

Around my parts I KNOW that the strong riders aren't using strava, all the KOMs are to mediocre riders like myself! My guess is that Strava too stigmatized, or the good riders just like to lay low and attack at the races. OR more likely is that the super fast guys and gals are so fast because they spend all their time riding and can't afford frivolities like Iphones...

Any ways I've enjoyed being able to track my progression since I got back on my bike last spring, I am an avid rock climber and I broke my toe. Fortunately my former addiction was mountain biking and my wife loves riding too. I've gone from barely riding a 3 mile road climb up to a dirt descent without stopping to getting a KOM on the trail-riding up!!! Now I just have to hope that the poor fast riders don't get hooked on strava.

Ride More, Work Less

I love STRAVA

While I confessed above that I loved strava, but do I love it this much?????

Cliiiimb gives real-time Strava segment feedback | BikeRadar

Bad cat!
    It will sure point out what bike works better than another bike real quick .
    This is very true… I have a couple of bikes (OK, three) and it is a lot of fun to basically race them against each other and just see what's what. I suffer from bike sickness, so tend to get dissatisfied with a ride and imagine another one will be better, but before Strava I had no real info to compare, just a ride impression. Nothing wrong with a ride impression, but as we've probably all learned, sometimes when you think you really killed it you actually had a pretty mediocre time, and vice versa… Just adds a lot of interest to my rides, even excluding the competitive aspect of it.

JHH
    mtbr member
    Love me my Strava.

Strava+LoseIt=Lighter Me
    Keep pedaling no matter what

mtbr member
    I got a KOM the other day when I forgot to finish my ride and was driving home in a segment up a climb. Scary thing is that I barely beat him in the car.
    Oh yeah, Mondays start the week here in BFE.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigb2000 View Post
    I got a KOM the other day when I forgot to finish my ride and was driving home in a segment up a climb. Scary thing is that I barely beat him in the car.
    Oh yeah, Mondays start the week here in BFE.
    Ha ha, maybe he was driving too... Lots of fast segment times from the parking lot to the highway from my trailhead.

DILLIGAF
    I recently was witness to, and got sucked into, Facebook drama about flagging rides. Our local trail system is so small with so many segments that sometimes segments match that didn't get ridden which can cause fake KOM's. It got so bad that I deleted my strava account and ported all of my ride data to garmin connect. I only lasted 2 weeks before creating another strava account and uploading all my old data. I won't allow the drama to affect me again! But I do like strava for what it is.

So let's post up links to our profiles.
    Mike S. | Cyclist | Strava

Ride More, Work Less
    Here's mine
    Rickey C. | Cyclist | Strava

I really enjoy the groups that strava has, that is once you find one (the search function sucks).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sunday is the first day of the week, just like a tomato is a fruit.

I like turtles
    My friends and I (most of us) enjoy Strava...fun for the group for some trash talking and helps see how you are doing/improving. STRAVA!!!!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    I only use strava when riding alone and feel like putting in a big effort. I'm amazed how much harder I ride when I know someone will see my ride data.
    2017 SPOT Brand MAYHEM (incoming) 2016 Spot rollik557, 2016 SPOT Brand Zephyr Adventure Bike 55c, Heller 27.7+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMILES View Post
    Ha ha, maybe he was driving too... Lots of fast segment times from the parking lot to the highway from my trailhead.
    Nah. He's a legend here. Owns most of the KOM's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMILES View Post
    Just figured i'd add... its really easy to tell if someone is in a car. The power/speed readings will be inhuman (especially if you look closely) and a lot of the times if you look at the performance it becomes pretty apparent with all the abrupt starts and stops.

Lastly, I hope that people who mistakenly leave strava on in their car and get KOM's take the time to crop that part of their ride out real quick.. its very simple ive had to do it a few times.

Another thing I'd like to add is I know for a fact that at least one guy who rides a few of the same trail systems I ride trys to cheat on strava (and still fails miserably lol)

About 3 weeks ago I was riding a trail ive been on probably 50 times in my life (23 since i started using strava) and I heard someone rustling through the leaves about 20 yards ahead of me so I looked up (should have been looking up in first place lol i was tired) and see a biker furiously hammering through the woods and onto the trail. As we pass I say hey hows it going he says hey and i notice he has a pretty sweet black and red intense carbine. I kept biking along thinking damn sweet bike then I noticed that the dude had blatantly ridden off the trail and taken a short cut that required him to ride through natural woods for prob 15-20 seconds... but he managed to cut off a section of the segment that takes 30-50 seconds depending on how fast you go.. and the KOM (me) is 5:04 so its not like its a long segment.

At the time, I actually muttered to myself "what a f**$%n loser" and kinda laughed.

Later on i was looking on strava and managed to find the guy based on date of ride and the fact that he listed his intense and he still only got 18th/103...

Anyone who takes strava that seriously needs to reevaluate things

b a n n e d
    I love Strava. I registered as a woman and am KILLING it on the segments. I QOM every ride! Plus I shout "STRAVAAAGGGHHHHHH!" every time I pass someone. Even the hikers.

Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    lol....... Its weird I always have the worst experiences with hikers when im specifically NOT trying to bike hard... like I'll come up behind them real slow... purposefully make noise... then say "coming up behind you" when im still 10 yards away and they either say something along the lines of "whoa cool it man!" or "jeeze!" OR they deliberately don't move and silently stare at me as I struggle to maneuver down the TINY part of the trail they left open for me.... I just don't get it.... whenever I go hiking (pretty often) I look forward to clearing the trail for bikers so that I can watch them go by, and keep everyone involved as safe as possible.. some people really must just hate bikers in any shape or form.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I registered as a woman
    well that explains a lot of things!
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rager View Post
    lol....... Its weird I always have the worst experiences with hikers when im specifically NOT trying to bike hard... like I'll come up behind them real slow... purposefully make noise... then say "coming up behind you" when im still 10 yards away and they either say something along the lines of "whoa cool it man!" or "jeeze!" OR they deliberately don't move and silently stare at me as I struggle to maneuver down the TINY part of the trail they left open for me.... I just don't get it.... whenever I go hiking (pretty often) I look forward to clearing the trail for bikers so that I can watch them go by, and keep everyone involved as safe as possible.. some people really must just hate bikers in any shape or form.
    In my town there was a guy who walked his dog on the trails that got busted for boobie trapping trails with wire to take out mountain bikers. People suck!

mtbr member
    I really loved Strava up until last Thursday, I challenge myself & my last run on a certain segment & pushed a little to hard to try to get another personal record & my rear tire washed out & I slammed my ribs into my handlebar & I think I seperated a few of my ribs, hurts to breath now. I will never have an KOM's but I use it to challenge my own skills & I don't pay much attention to what other riders times are just my own.

psycho cyclo addict
    I laugh at the $trava lemmings.

At the end of every ride, those who use it are madly grabbing for their tracking device to stop/submit and bask in the glory if they earned some lame award for a segment along the route. I have no beef if you are training or racing but c'mon now, do you really need to know how big your virtual thing is on every ride?

Get a LIFE.

mtbr member
    I'm a Strava user because a lot of friends use it and it's fun to see where everyone is riding, and I need a way to track my training. It's also nice to challenge myself. Otherwise, a big part of me despises the thing. If everyone would switch to ridewithgps then I would drop it.

Wish I had some startup capital b/c that would be a fun job - designing a better social GPS ride tracking application.

I like turtles
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post

At the end of every ride, those who use it are madly grabbing for their tracking device to stop/submit and bask in the glory if they earned some lame award for a segment along the route. I have no beef if you are training or racing but c'mon now, do you really need to know how big your virtual thing is on every ride?

Get a LIFE.
    Yes...yes I do.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member

Get a LIFE.
    I bet my virtual thing is bigger than yours!

Not racing, not training, just using Strava to improve my riding and shed some pounds. Strava is not necessary but it does help motivate me. I ride against myself mostly. Yup, I'm a lemming.

unrooted
    I only use strava to track my climbing ability, which helps me watch my fitness. I like seeing that my dh times are getting better, but a lot of that depends on how busy the trail is and if I dropped my chain.

The trail I ride most often is often shuttled by people with big bikes, I care more about my lap times.

JHH
    mtbr member

Get a LIFE.
    Got a life. Live it well. Love using Strava. Love analyzing the data in my efforts. Who are you to cast judgement on that? Shit I even stop and smoke a bowl on rides. Stop the timer, nope. KOM nope. FUN yes. Enjoy.
    Last edited by JHH; 11-19-2013 at 12:41 PM.

mtbr member
    I love Strava. I love to look at my route on the map. I love the elevation profile. I love tracking my milage, and climbing for the year.( should have 250,000 feet this year )
    I love seeing what friends in other parts of the world are doing.

Pretty sweet to get a PR, on a day you thought you we're slow and tired.

My wife is a trail runner, we can compare routes.

mtbr member
    Strava = fun

mtbr member
    I like it but the discrepancies between data frustrates me. Maybe it's the devices though but for example 3 people did the same ride on Saturday and started / stopped the devices at the same time yet there was 1/2 a mile difference in ride distances and 600 feet in climbing differences. In an 11 mile ride with 1000 feet of climbing. So now I doubt how accurate all the data is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've been using Strava for 9 months, and decided today to upgrade to premium. Why? They offer a killer basic application that works well, loads fast and motivates me in a fun way; and all this without asking anything back. On top of that there's no ads or pop-ups or annoying baggage. I want this thing to keep giving, so I contributed.

I use an eTrex 30 and find it very accurate and well integrated with Strava.

mtbr member
    ^ other than helping out strava, do you think its worth it? Been considering the premium for a while.

Ride More, Work Less

I love STRAVA

^ other than helping out strava, do you think its worth it? Been considering the premium for a while.
    I had the same question earlier this year. Strava gave me a free month of premium and I sampled it. I joined premium at the end of the trial with no reservations. The heat maps and the extra analysis of data was worth the premium to me. I was happy to support them for the reasons listed above.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

JHH
    mtbr member
    I went Premium earlier this year for all the same reasons stated above. It's a great app.

If you're over 200lbs and use Strava... Send Strava a support ticket requesting them to segment weight class over 200lbs like they do for under 200lbs. That way you CAT 1 205lb guys don't show up in my 240lb class.

mtbr member
    Another +1, love Strava, bought the premium sub and enjoy all the extra bits. I know suffer score is generally meaningless, but I'm a sucker for it anyway.
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '15 Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // '17 Cannondale Scalpel-Si
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Count me in as another big Strava fan.

I don't get too obsessed with beating other people, but it IS nice to move up a few places on segments that I usually ride. It gives me goals for my rides, I'll pick a segment or two and shoot for a new PB on it, and it's a great feeling when I achieve that.

I like it mainly to check my own progress, and to compete with myself as opposed to chasing KOM's. I'll admit though, I have 3 KOM's right now was quite happy when I achieved each of them. One of them was on a segment I didn't even know existed till after the ride, so that was a plus.

Most of the segments I ride are on road, but I'm starting to use it more on the trail, as I ride more trail this time of year. Two of my KOM's are trail. They made me feel good, but not super impressive as there's only like ten other riders to track those segments.

Anyway, it's a great app. I have the free version, I haven't jumped to premium yet.

Another great feature is the top speed tracker, I've hit a max of 46.8mph on my cross bike with slicks, I really want to hit 50.
    '15 Charge Cooker Maxi 2
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride
    '11 Santa Cruz Driver 8

Paste eater
    Most segments are ~2k deep with riders on the Front Range. Then there's the pros and the almost pros. needless to say, only segments I stand a chance are those of which that are 1) Downhill 2)Technical, preferably both. Even then, it's tough.

I don't take it very serious and my handle reflects that.
    A Fat Kid :. | Cyclist | Strava

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Strava premium user, use it to challenge myself and try to better my times each ride. Nothing like knowing that you improve every time you go out. For those who think all Strava users do stupid stuff just to try and get a KOM, I'm in the same boat as Jwind, there's some quick riders where I ride and KOMs won't be broken by me, but nice to know how I stack up against the quickest.

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)

I love STRAVA

Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Most segments are ~2k deep with riders on the Front Range. Then there's the pros and the almost pros. needless to say, only segments I stand a chance are those of which that are 1) Downhill 2)Technical, preferably both. Even then, it's tough.
    Living in the Boulder area I very much agree with this. Boulder area segments are a nightmare with pros and almost pros.

One thing wish Strava would do would be in the filtering of pros so that you could exclude them from the rankings. That would make the rankings a bit more interesting for us mere mortals with 9 to 5 jobs.

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post

I don't take it very serious and my handle reflects that.
    A Fat Kid :. | Cyclist | Strava
    Scott E. | Cyclist | Strava

unrooted
    Damn justin you kill it on the dh 's!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Enjoy your Strava, but please don't help get trails closed to bikes by racing on crowded trails. Remember peds ALWAYS have the right of way. Uphill bikers have the right of way. Yes, they might yield to you, but never expect it. And don't Strava secret trails. Other than that, have a great time with your Strava!

unrooted
    Thank you Captain obvious!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Thank you Captain obvious!!!
    Yes. it does seem obvious, doesn't it? But for some strange reason a lot of people just don't to get it.

mtbr member
    I was a Strava hater for a while but I finally jumped on it and I have to say I like it. I think it is a great tool for logging rides and for researching new to me trails. I ignore the competitive side of Strava as that's not what I started using it for. I also like it because it motivates me to ride more often as well.

mtbr member
    Wow, I just discovered the online shop on Strava. I so want the tee that says "Prove it" for Christmas.

On second thought...Not really.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I mostly use Strava to find new places to ride.

I like the fact that I can drive home to see my parents, and, halfway there, look up segments near my current location, and it shows me where I can ride.
    Agreed. This is why I primarily use it. I can find rides all over the place without having to explore them physically first.

The ability to watch yourself progress on rides over time is nice but there are those guys out there who go in an ruin trails to make them eaiser just to get that Strava KOM. That right there is annoying.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    Living in the Boulder area I very much agree with this. Boulder area segments are a nightmare with pros and almost pros.

One thing wish Strava would do would be in the filtering of pros so that you could exclude them from the rankings. That would make the rankings a bit more interesting for us mere mortals with 9 to 5 jobs.
    Who cares. If they did, you would just have pros changing their accounts and doing it that way. With the pros times there is gives you a goal to achieve. Regardless, you are taking away from riding. Enjoy the trails and stop worrying about KOM segments completed by pros.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    You have seen Jersey Shore? I wouldn't mention that in public. We have a condo very close to were that show was filmed for what that is worth (not much after Sandy). Most of the cast, creators, etc. are not from Jersey anyway. You believe everything you see on TV? That's like believing all the crap we post on the internet. It's a fantasy world and nothing more.
    Isn't Jersey Shore in PA?

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    I like the segment function. But here in Austria there are not many people using Strava. Then I look at my friend's rides in CA or NY and it's amazing how popular it is. Thousands of people. Here I'm lucky if 1 or 2 other people ride a trail segment I create.

One of favorite things to do after a ride in a new location is to look at the satellite maps. Very cool.

My one beef is the skiing segments. Only the alpine uphills on gondolas and chairlifts are tracked as segments. What's up with that. I actually have chairlift KOMs. Stupid. When you go skiing, alpine or telemark (OK they don't have a tele selection, beef #2), they should measure the downhill portions, not the uphill.

DFL>DNF>DNS

Good job! VeloViewer

I'm a Strava fan as well. I like seeing my progress or slacking on my popular routes. It's cool to see what your friends are riding during the week when time may be limited.

One of my riding buddies turned me on to this site: Veloviewer, it works in conjunction with your Strava data and displays it in a more visual context. The graphs overlay year-to-year results and can be filtered by distance, elevation, time, etc.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this site before, so I thought I'd throw it out there.
    I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    I like Strava but some people are taking it too seriously and letting ego and pride get in the way. People are compromising the safety of others as well as allowing others to see private routes that shouldn't really be made public. The land owners will find out, and then that's the end of some awesome trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by iWiLRiDe View Post
    I like Strava but some people are taking it too seriously and letting ego and pride get in the way. People are compromising the safety of others as well as allowing others to see private routes that shouldn't really be made public. The land owners will find out, and then that's the end of some awesome trails.
    It's already happening down here in SoCal:

10News - Smartphone app gets some blame for illegal trails, damage at Cowles Mountain - 10News.com - News

Gotta pay to play
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    I'm a Strava fan as well. I like seeing my progress or slacking on my popular routes. It's cool to see what your friends are riding during the week when time may be limited.

One of my riding buddies turned me on to this site: Veloviewer, it works in conjunction with your Strava data and displays it in a more visual context. The graphs overlay year-to-year results and can be filtered by distance, elevation, time, etc.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this site before, so I thought I'd throw it out there.
    Thanks for the heads up Freeskier46- this site looks great.

Strava is testing out a new view that I totally LOVE. If you click on your last ride you should be able to see a "test new view" link at the top. The format is so much nicer than the old one.

Ridin' Furry
    I have met and made many friends through strava. Started to get boring riding solo all the time but seeing other peoples rides is motivating me to ride. I kicked my video game addiction habit over to Strava with the KOM's! Nice and fun way to push myself

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Strava is testing out a new view that I totally LOVE. If you click on your last ride you should be able to see a "test new view" link at the top. The format is so much nicer than the old one.
    Just took a look....like it!

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    i use strava for my running too, got done with my morning run today and went to save it, sorry no connection detected, didn't record anything. GRrrrrrrrrr