Medium?

I love my commute

I got up late, which is good. When I miss the train, I'm forced to ride the whole way to work, but I get to have breakfast with my kids, who are normally just beginning to zombie around as I'm rushing out.

It's 25 miles to work; three miles of rural roads through Morgan Hill, 12 miles of bike trail through Coyote Valley, and the rest on the mean streets of San Jo' (pronounced hoe, like the garden tool). I can shave off about 10 minutes by riding on Monterey Highway instead of the bike trail, but the bike trail is usually pretty amazing. I only see one or two people the whole 12 miles. OTOH, I often see one or two bobcats as well. I didn't see them today, but here's an incomplete list of what I did see:

A red-tail hawk making a kill 10 meters away from me
    A turkey vulture eating something off the path
    Bunnies
    Suicide squirrels (they try to run under your tires)
    A small white hawk of some kind
    Quail
    Red-winged blackbirds
    Scrub Jay
    Stellar Jay
    Ducks

What are those black birds with white heads that look like ducks? My daughter would scold me for not knowing.

Then, to top it all off, no one tried to run over me today. Awesome! I did get into a pretty exciting two-wheel drift going through a dirt parking lot though.
    Last edited by Fast Eddy; 05-04-2005 at 10:06 AM.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Trying to make everyone jealous? It's working!

We don't have suicide squirrels in socal, suicide bunnies though..in fact Andy aka Rut tagged one last night I think...it was dying a slow death as I rolled past....Andy didn't even stop to leave his info!

paintbucket
    Coot? Grebe? Bufflehead (actually a duck)

I didn't know Stellers Jays were found a sea level, but now that you mention it I looked it up and sure enough......
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Medium?
    I don't have any time for dirt before my first lap at the 24 hours of Laguna Seca. Flat commuting is a poor substitute for dirt training, but at least it's something.

After the kids go to bed I take the dog for a tour of our neighborhood, which is at the base of a hill. We follow the sidewalk and climb each of six streets for what must be a total of about 400' of climbing. It's short, but pretty brutal with my 53:19 gear, and I try to descend slowly to get the negative burn.

Medium?

Coot. Definitely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

damn, I thought my ...

occasional 17.5 mile commute thru the farm country was nice. Remind me( better yet pics) of the bike your using for this jaunt. Pics of the ride would be nice also.
    Yesterdays ride home all I saw for wildlife was a dead bloated possum (almost ran over the damn thing) .
    Jim S.

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    most likely a black shouldered kite.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by moschika
    most likely a black shouldered kite.
    According to this website they aren't in the US

http://www.hawk-conservancy.org/priors/bskite.shtml

I was thinking the light phase of some common hawk. Or an osprey.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Medium?

Ibis Fixed Gear

More pics of it in this thread. Awesome bike. It makes the good commute even better. I should've mentioned it before.

mtbr member
    I hope you brought your rain gear:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

Medium?

Could've been an osprey.

Long Distance MTB

Question

When I miss the train, I'm forced to ride the whole way to work
    Please explain me, why in your condition would you take the train instead of riding every day.

Medium?

Yup

Lycra shorts and a jersey. 8^) My whole commute is in the dry spot under the 'c' and the 'o' of "San Francisco".
    Last edited by Fast Eddy; 05-04-2005 at 11:50 AM.

Medium?

30 minutes faster

Quote Originally Posted by rimugu
    Please explain me, why in your condition would you take the train instead of riding every day.
    I save 30 minutes by riding the train. Apparently I love my job too. The train forces me out of bed earlier. It's still 11 minutes to the train station, and I only take the train one stop. It's 30 minutes from that station to work. Plus I have options. If I was really lazy or in a big hurry I could stay on two more stops and be 5 minutes from work (which I have never done in 2 months at this job).

I don't mind taking the 30 minutes away from work to ride in the morning, but I rarely want to take 30 minutes away from my too-short evening home time. For race training, it's better for me to ride the train home and take my singlespeed up the nearby (paved) hill than to spend 30 minutes on the flat bike path. When you're riding on the road it sometimes feels like you're getting a workout, but it's nursery school compared with climbing a decent hill on a singlespeed with big, low-pressure knobbies.

jrm
    mtbr member

I saw a least fern....

I got up late, which is good. When I miss the train, I'm forced to ride the whole way to work, but I get to have breakfast with my kids, who are normally just beginning to zombie around as I'm rushing out.

It's 25 miles to work; three miles of rural roads through Morgan Hill, 12 miles of bike trail through Coyote Valley, and the rest on the mean streets of San Jo' (pronounced hoe, like the garden tool). I can shave off about 10 minutes by riding on Monterey Highway instead of the bike trail, but the bike trail is usually pretty amazing. I only see one or two people the whole 12 miles. OTOH, I often see one or two bobcats as well. I didn't see them today, but here's an incomplete list of what I did see:

A red-tail hawk making a kill 10 meters away from me
    A turkey vulture eating something off the path
    Bunnies
    Suicide squirrels (they try to run under your tires)
    Quail
    Red-winged blackbirds
    Scrub Jay
    Stellar Jay
    Ducks

What are those black birds with white heads that look like ducks? My daughter would scold me for not knowing.

Then, to top it all off, no one tried to run over me today. Awesome! I did get into a pretty exciting two-wheel drift going through a dirt parking lot though.
    and a new vagrent encampment on merrit creek this morning. But it sure did smell good after it sprinkled. I hope it doesnt rain on the way home.

OT: can you make the pre-ride saturday?

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    can you make the pre-ride saturday?
    Nope. We'll be Boy Scout camping down in Hollister. I'm pretty luck to get to go to the race at this point. Remember that MBTB is the following two weekends. I'm going negative in my honey-points account.

mtbr member
    Cool ride Eddy.... both the bike and the commute.

I can relate to the "negative honey-points". Seems like I'm always trying to fill up that account to make way for more riding.

jrm
    mtbr member

i see banking the honey-points

Nope. We'll be Boy Scout camping down in Hollister. I'm pretty luck to get to go to the race at this point. Remember that MBTB is the following two weekends. I'm going negative in my honey-points account.
    alright see ya next weekend..

Slowest Rider

Bike Time

What a great commute!!! I've got to find out more about that bike trail in Coyote Valley. People don't get how much wild life there is once you get out of the dense Silicon Valley proper. The surrounding hills have very little development and provides a great commute for where you live.

I'm trying to figure out how much time you get to ride on the bike. I calculate:
    11 minutes - home to station
    30 minutes - station to work
    30 minutes (extra when doing bike instead of train)
    20 minutes (time on train added to above - wild guess)
    ----------------
    91 minutes TOTAL with bike only, Train is 1 hour even

Does this sound about right?

You're inspiring me to bike to work again. I commuted 16 miles to work on bike when I lived for two years without a car in Petaluma (wife had a van for shopping and family trips). But the bus did most the distance for me. My commute in south San Jose is 13 miles but mostly through the center of San Jose right by your office. It takes me 35-50 minutes in a car and I might get close to that (50 minutes?) on a bike with traffic and lights. If I can figure out a route that avoids bike-smashing traffic I may be tempted. Do you use bike trails through SJ, or do you just take back roads? I've got local bike trails going part way, but worry about moving close to 20 MPH compared to the slower moms, kids, and jogger traffic on the paved trails - and suspect roads are more appropriate. I have an OK hard tail MTB I'd turned into a commuter with narrow high pressure tires. I doubt I'll have your great scenery, so I may also look at doing Light Rail part of the way.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Medium?

Light rail sux, mostly

From where I think you live, you can ride to children's discovery museum, but the average wait+train-ride is the same as the average bike ride. Light rail might be good for Friday when you're feeling the other days.

For the San Jose/Santa Clara part, I like Park Ave and then going a few blocks west on the north side of 880. You end up on Scott, then Central, which is actually pretty civil. Willow Glen, Monterey, Curtner and the Alameda are the bad driver spots.

edit: details: Willow Glen->Bird or Lincoln to L on Park past 880 to L on Newhall to R on Manchester to R on Monroe to R on Scott to L on Central. I've been doing that route and all the surrounding streets all the way up to Mtn View since Jan 2000 and I'm pretty sure that's optimal by both speed and civility.

The school across from the Rosecrucian (sp?) Museum attracts some unfortunate traffic right around 8am...

I can get to work from home in 85 min on the bike trail. On the highway I've made it in 75. The ride from Blossom Hill is 31 min, Capitol 22, and Tamien about 7 min.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Stellar Jay
    Thanks! I try not to think of myself as "Stellar" though... just "Gets-By Jay". But thanks. *takes bow*