Thread: I just did it.

Yappy little dog!

I just did it.

Following my Sunday Morning Pill post, I was feeling a little antsy about not getting out for a week. Especially, when I have a bike in my travel office. I set a deadline yesterday afternoon that I would get out while the sun was still above the ocean. I did just that! A short ride, but a ride none-the-less at Whiting Ranch. Just a short drive down one road from the office and ready to go.

It was a beautiful night, cool, slight breeze, and dry trails. Lot's of friendly people who were quite puzzled by my singlespeed.

"Where's your gears?"

I have three.

"I only see one."

Three. Sitting, standing, and pushing.

"Oh, I get it. What about suspension?"

Why?

"Well, the trail is kind of bumpy."

I have suspension front and rear. See my arms? That's front. See my butt? That's rear.

I guess it's not the norm around here, but I kept up with the rest of the squishy crowd for the short ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Sweet ride! Looks like some nice riding too
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

The 5th knuckle
    There you go. Working both time zones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Aloha, more passion post! Love it! Where's the gears? Where's the suspension?

mtbr member
    Always a good time to ride! Thanks for the pics!

two wheel whore
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    Especially, when I have a bike in my travel office.
    A true rider.

Gnarly
    Fun story! and nice pics... the Kona looks like an ideal bike for the trails.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    ........... the Kona looks like an ideal bike for the trails.
    It's not the ride, it's the smiles. Or was it? "It's not the number of miles, it's the number of smiles...."

mtbr member
    Looks great, the bike and the trails. I'm really wanting to try a Kona. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Honzo but my rear hub won't work with the frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I learned to MTB on a rigid and I think everyone should, makes you such a better rider. After 20 some odd years I like having front sus to help my shoulders and neck with the beating they constantly take with this sport and trials.

mtbr member
    "Oh, I get it. What about suspension?"

Why?

"Well, the trail is kind of bumpy."

????? That trail would be a smooth ride on a road bike.

B.Ike
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Looks great, the bike and the trails. I'm really wanting to try a Kona. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Honzo but my rear hub won't work with the frame.
    there is a 135mm dropout available for the honzo.

mtbr member
    Just last week I was wishing I had a travel office bike. My problem is that I don't go to any one destination repeatedly when I travel. I did try renting a bike but no shop offered rental bikes nor could point me anywhere that might . Need more bike rental places!!

Very nice post though, I am jealous of you having a bike on the road.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack View Post
    Just last week I was wishing I had a travel office bike. My problem is that I don't go to any one destination repeatedly when I travel. I did try renting a bike but no shop offered rental bikes nor could point me anywhere that might . Need more bike rental places!!

Very nice post though, I am jealous of you having a bike on the road.
    Thanks. I used to bring my bike in a Trico case. I am a Frontier Summit member, so my bike flies for free. I just got tired of the TSA ripping it apart and losing pieces, plus the time to put it together and take it apart.

Rentals are tough to find and you never know what condition it will be in. Pick the place you visit the most and keep a bike there. I travel between Henderson, NV and Irvine, CA. I am in Irvine 75% more, so that's where the bike goes. Occasionally, I drive to Henderson from Irvine and take the bike with me.

Currently in Exile
    Nice post, nice ride, nice trails.

It amazes me that there are people who call themselves mountain bikers who are still perplexed by the idea of a rigid single speed. Based on your photos, suspension is about as necesary there as a tuxedo at Walmart.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes View Post
    Nice post, nice ride, nice trails.

It amazes me that there are people who call themselves mountain bikers who are still perplexed by the idea of a rigid single speed. Based on your photos, suspension is about as necesary there as a tuxedo at Walmart.
    I have been to Walmart, there should be a dress code for patrons.
    AS for rigid I get it, if you like to hammer your shoulder and neck have at it, but SS is to limiting for me to even try on trails. I pass all kinds of SS riders on the uphills around here, I hate to walk my bike.

banned
    Jan 2013

"Where's your gears?"

I have three.

"I only see one."

Three. Sitting, standing, and pushing.
    ^ gold.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    SS is to limiting for me to even try on trails. I pass all kinds of SS riders on the uphills around here, I hate to walk my bike.
    I have no desire to SS either, but its not just the uphills where i would bemoan my lack of gearing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    While I don't own one, I can appreciate it. I love how clean SS bikes are -

My first bike was rigid (albeit geared) and I get out on our local trails every once in a while on my cx bike... I always get a kick out of how the fully rigid climbs and corners!

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    I have been to Walmart, there should be a dress code for patrons.
    AS for rigid I get it, if you like to hammer your shoulder and neck have at it, but SS is to limiting for me to even try on trails. I pass all kinds of SS riders on the uphills around here, I hate to walk my bike.
    You just have to be loose with your muscles. It's not too bad once you figure that out.

As for uphill, I actually pass more riders than pass me. I only have one gear and it's higher than granny. So if I am moving, I am generally faster up the hill, to a point. I flop at about an 8% grade.